Several problems with users

Rachel

Hi, I have several problems with my user function in
Windows XP.

Firstly, when I double click the 'User Accounts' control
panel, nothing happens.

I have tried several ways around this.

File Run (typing in)control userpasswords2

this opens up the User Accounts dialogue box, but when I
try to create a new user it tells me:

The user could not be added because the following error
has occured:
The group name could not be found.

If I try and add a user under a name that has previously
existed, but has been deleted, it tells me:

The user 'name' could not be added because this user
already has permission to use this computer.

I have manually tried to delete the files in My computer;
documents and settings for the old user, but still no joy.

Someone suggested I use the File run cmd and then type in
net users name password /add
but again I get the error
The user name could not be found.

Does this look like familiar territory to anyone?
Solutions?

Thanks
Rachel

DantheMan

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004

Hi Rachel

In user accounts click the advanced tab and then advanced again. You can view all users and groups in here including disabled users.

Also can you add a user in the Local users and groups window?

Regards
Dan