Horrible Graphics and Graphics ran together and streamed.

TheFuzz7532

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Hi guys,

Now, I know my rig is a little old, its not the best, and I'm not making it out to be good, but I'm having a horrible problem when running games. First off, I'll give you a heads up on my system.

CPU: P4 2.4 ghz
GFX: nVidia GeForce 6600 GT (yes, old and outdated)
MB: Asus P4S333 (Older and more outdated lol)
HD: 80 Gig
PS: 450 watts
RAM: 1.5 Gig DDR 400

Now, with that said, I'm having a bad problem with visuals in games. So far, the games I've tried and confirmed that do this are:

BF2
BF: Vietnam
BF: 1942
CFS2
MTW2
(I believe MTW also)

Most notably what happens, is it looks like the visuals are being run together.....such as...a roof of a building being streamed down to the ground. Also there are large portions of just blank/black areas.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

If there is a way to fix this without spending the money on new components (I just wrecked my motorcycle and have all my insurance bills to pay also, so my budget is very low right now lol), it would be greatly appreciated. I will also add that it does it on my brother's rig, which is primarily the same build.

Thanks in advance.

TheFuzz7532

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Okay, I've re-installed my drivers a handful of times to try to fix it. My friend had told me he thought it might be overheating. Now that I recall, the heatsink/fan didn't seem too stable the last time I checked. I'll take it off and put some fresh thermalpaste on it and get a cooler soon.

Thanks a lot

EDIT: Also, I've noticed it usually acts up later on in the night, after a few games and such.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
That's definitely artifacts caused by overheating. I got them sometime back on my 4200 (only mine were multicoloured). Removing the HSF, cleaning it up, reapplying AS and remounting it cured my problem and should work for you.

TheFuzz7532

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Awesome, thanks for clearing it completely up, I noticed the amount of AS was so small that I couldn't believe it even ran, I also tested it by running a box fan into my computer while playing. With the game running, the artifacts would appear, and eventually either disappear or lighten alot...thanks alot guys for all your input, greatly appreciated.

jetfx

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
well in case u still searching for info, black triangles are often caused by overheating but not the gpu processor its the video memory, did u change the hsf for an aftermaket one? make sure ur card its cooling the ram.
gl man.,
ps hope u dont even read this becuase you are playing with no issues