Error Message, I don't understand

July 13, 2004 12:12:14 PM

Hi, I hope you can help me out with this one.

Recently, I installed some updates from Microsoft. I
installed only the ones I thought I needed. But I may
have made a mistake. Yes, believe it or not, I made a
mistake. Oops! Anyway, since doing this, when my computer
starts up, I get a Rundll error message that reads, error
then it says, "The specified module could not be found."

Now, that I am completely confused, what does this mean?
And what can I do about it?

At this point, any and all help will do. Please let me
know what you think I should do.

Thanking you in advance.

I think I should let you know what I am using, I use
Windows XP, Home, and I have a Sony Vaio PCRS420
computer. Also, I have a DSL line. This computer is a
little confusing for me because it has 2 hard drives, a
C, and a D hard drive. My C drive is small and the D
drive is huge. I still haven't figured out how to use it
correctly yet. If you need any other information, just
let me know and I will send it immediately.

Thanks again,

Debbie
July 13, 2004 12:28:02 PM

Hi Debbie

This error most likely has very little to do with the Microsoft updates you installed, but more to do with some spyware you system may have.

Spyware is junk advertising software that can sometimes infect your computer. It would be a good idea to download a spyware remover, I can recommend Ad-aware.

First of all you may want to check to see if this Bridge.dll file is trying to load on startup. Try this:

1. Start menu>Run> type in: msconfig and click ok.
2. Click the Startup tab
3. Have a look down the list, if C:\Windows\DownloadedProgramFiles\bridge.dll is listed uncheck it and click ok.

To remove any spyware completely you can download Ad-aware from:

http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...

Once you have installed it you need to update it by clicking on the globe in the software. Then scan your system.

All the best
Dan

"Debbie" wrote:

> Hi, I hope you can help me out with this one.
>
> Recently, I installed some updates from Microsoft. I
> installed only the ones I thought I needed. But I may
> have made a mistake. Yes, believe it or not, I made a
> mistake. Oops! Anyway, since doing this, when my computer
> starts up, I get a Rundll error message that reads, error
> then it says, "The specified module could not be found."
>
> Now, that I am completely confused, what does this mean?
> And what can I do about it?
>
> At this point, any and all help will do. Please let me
> know what you think I should do.
>
> Thanking you in advance.
>
> I think I should let you know what I am using, I use
> Windows XP, Home, and I have a Sony Vaio PCRS420
> computer. Also, I have a DSL line. This computer is a
> little confusing for me because it has 2 hard drives, a
> C, and a D hard drive. My C drive is small and the D
> drive is huge. I still haven't figured out how to use it
> correctly yet. If you need any other information, just
> let me know and I will send it immediately.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Debbie

Anonymous
July 13, 2004 3:27:46 PM

It is spyware
http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/w/winfavorites_bridg...

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Debbie" <debbiec4902@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I hope you can help me out with this one.
>
> Recently, I installed some updates from Microsoft. I
> installed only the ones I thought I needed. But I may
> have made a mistake. Yes, believe it or not, I made a
> mistake. Oops! Anyway, since doing this, when my computer
> starts up, I get a Rundll error message that reads, error
> then it says, "The specified module could not be found."
>
> Now, that I am completely confused, what does this mean?
> And what can I do about it?
>
> At this point, any and all help will do. Please let me
> know what you think I should do.
>
> Thanking you in advance.
>
> I think I should let you know what I am using, I use
> Windows XP, Home, and I have a Sony Vaio PCRS420
> computer. Also, I have a DSL line. This computer is a
> little confusing for me because it has 2 hard drives, a
> C, and a D hard drive. My C drive is small and the D
> drive is huge. I still haven't figured out how to use it
> correctly yet. If you need any other information, just
> let me know and I will send it immediately.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Debbie
July 13, 2004 3:29:53 PM

This maybe more enlightening
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=3382...

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Debbie" <debbiec4902@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I hope you can help me out with this one.
>
> Recently, I installed some updates from Microsoft. I
> installed only the ones I thought I needed. But I may
> have made a mistake. Yes, believe it or not, I made a
> mistake. Oops! Anyway, since doing this, when my computer
> starts up, I get a Rundll error message that reads, error
> then it says, "The specified module could not be found."
>
> Now, that I am completely confused, what does this mean?
> And what can I do about it?
>
> At this point, any and all help will do. Please let me
> know what you think I should do.
>
> Thanking you in advance.
>
> I think I should let you know what I am using, I use
> Windows XP, Home, and I have a Sony Vaio PCRS420
> computer. Also, I have a DSL line. This computer is a
> little confusing for me because it has 2 hard drives, a
> C, and a D hard drive. My C drive is small and the D
> drive is huge. I still haven't figured out how to use it
> correctly yet. If you need any other information, just
> let me know and I will send it immediately.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Debbie
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 8:23:42 PM

Hi

bridge.dll is part of some spyware - have a look here:

http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/w/winfavorites_bridg...

Also try these programs to check for any spyware that may be on your system:

Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
CWShredder - http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

Also see the following links:

http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Debbie" <debbiec4902@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| Hi, I hope you can help me out with this one.
|
| Recently, I installed some updates from Microsoft. I
| installed only the ones I thought I needed. But I may
| have made a mistake. Yes, believe it or not, I made a
| mistake. Oops! Anyway, since doing this, when my computer
| starts up, I get a Rundll error message that reads, error
| then it says, "The specified module could not be found."
|
| Now, that I am completely confused, what does this mean?
| And what can I do about it?
|
| At this point, any and all help will do. Please let me
| know what you think I should do.
|
| Thanking you in advance.
|
| I think I should let you know what I am using, I use
| Windows XP, Home, and I have a Sony Vaio PCRS420
| computer. Also, I have a DSL line. This computer is a
| little confusing for me because it has 2 hard drives, a
| C, and a D hard drive. My C drive is small and the D
| drive is huge. I still haven't figured out how to use it
| correctly yet. If you need any other information, just
| let me know and I will send it immediately.
|
| Thanks again,
|
| Debbie
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 12:59:31 PM

Hi, and thanks for your advice. I do have the Adware
Program, and lately I have noticed that it hasn't been
catching all the spyware that I get on my computer. I
will contact Lavasoft immediately. Or as soon as I do
what you suggested. I did a Norton Virus Scan a few days
ago, and it found some spyware on my computer. It sounds
like Adware isn't doing its job very well, doesn't it?

Thank you so much again.

Debbie

part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

>Once you have installed it you need to update it by
clicking on the globe in the software. Then scan your
system.

>All the best
>Dan
>

>"Debbie" wrote:
>
>> Hi, I hope you can help me out with this one.
>>
>> Recently, I installed some updates from Microsoft. I
>> installed only the ones I thought I needed. But I may
>> have made a mistake. Yes, believe it or not, I made a
>> mistake. Oops! Anyway, since doing this, when my
computer
>> starts up, I get a Rundll error message that reads,
error
and
>> then it says, "The specified module could not be
found."

>> Now, that I am completely confused, what does this
mean?
>> And what can I do about it?
>>
>> At this point, any and all help will do. Please let me
>> know what you think I should do.
>>
>> Thanking you in advance.
>>
>> I think I should let you know what I am using, I use
>> Windows XP, Home, and I have a Sony Vaio PCRS420
>> computer. Also, I have a DSL line. This computer is a
>> little confusing for me because it has 2 hard drives,
>> C, and a D hard drive. My C drive is small and the D
>> drive is huge. I still haven't figured out how to use
it
>> correctly yet. If you need any other information, just
>> let me know and I will send it immediately.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Debbie
>>
>.

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 1:03:58 PM

Mary, thank you. According to everyone who wrote to me,
they all say it is spyware. I have Adware, and I am going
to do a full system scan and see if I can get rid of it.
If not, Lavasoft will be hearing from me.

Thank you so much. You know what they say, if 3 people
say its a bear, it must be a bear. lol

Debbie
asp

!