Win7 will not start install

I just picked up a new HDD (Hitachi Deskstar HD31000) and windows 7 OEM 64bit. Basically, my screen goes to a black screen with a cursor in the upper left hand corner and does nothing when I try to boot for the install.

I disconnect everything besides my dvd player (Hitachi GD-2500) the new HDD and put my win7 disk in the dvd player. I also set my Bios to boot my dvd player first.

I've played with Bios a bunch changing the sata settings and even made sure my bios was the most current (MB is an ASUS P5QL-Pro and updated to the 1004 version of bios). Reset bios to defaults. Still nothing.

The MB and DVD work fine when I use my old HDD and boot up winXP. I even was able to format and partition the new HDD so it seems that piece is fine. The Win7 DVD is readable by the DVD player when I'm in Winxp...but of course since it's an OEM it will not upgrade that and just gives an error message if I open/close the player or double click on it under my computer.

I've run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and the only hardware problem was my net card needing the proper drivers.

I'm at a loss.

My full specs are:
ASUS P5QL-Pro
e8400
2GB OCZ DDR2 ram (I have more I just took them out for the install)
Hitachi GD-2500
Hitachi HD31000
Radeon HD4850

Any help appreciated, Ive poured over google and this forum a bunch the past two days, but I didn't see this issue. I don't have a flash drive. Might have to go out, buy a flash drive, and try that method. I would prefer not to if anyone sees something I'm missing. The flash drive would most likely only get used this once anyway.
8 answers Last reply
More about win7 start install
  1. do you still have a OS that works on one of the drives?, if so boot to it and see if you can read the contents of the W7 install disk
  2. rohn said:
    The Win7 DVD is readable by the DVD player when I'm in Winxp...but of course since it's an OEM it will not upgrade that and just gives an error message if I open/close the player or double click on it under my computer.

Yes, the contents appear if I open that drive as well.

I show the following folders: boot, efi, sources, support, upgrade. Then an autorun, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi file and the setup.exe file
  3. sorry about that, Old age , if you want download BCD:
    http://www.nu2.nu/download.php?sFile=bcd111.zip
    boot from this CD, then remove and put the 7 disk in and see if you can start the setup.exe
  4. Three troubleshooting steps that I would do to narrow down the problem and establish which component is causing it:

1. Try booting the DVD in another computer. If it still fails you have a duff DVD.

2. Try booting the DVD with just the old hard drive attached (but don't proceed with the install!) This will eliminate or confirm the new hard disk as the problem.

3. Burn a bootable DVD (say a small Linux distro or a rescue CD) and try booting the computer from it. If it still doesn't work then your DVD drive is at fault.

Once you've established which component is causing the problem it may be easier to solve it.
  5. My guess is you didnt set the DVD drive to first boot, and if you did, you didnt save the settings before exiting the bios.
  6. It's always the simple stuff
  7. None of the hardware of the DVD disc itself are bad. Yes, the intial boot device was set as the DVD drive and f10 was used to exit and save. I even re-entered Bios one time to make sure my boot order was being saved.

Thanks for those that tried to help, but in the end I bought a flash drive (on sale and I happened to have a target gift card from Xmas I forgot about) and using the flash drive method everything went fine. I don't have a burner so I didnt get to try that method.

I'm still not sure why it would not just start the process from my DVD player, but oh well. Atleast none of my stuff needed to be sent back.
  8. Good for you
Ask a new question

Read More

BIOS Hard Drives Windows 7