Files & Settings Transfer Wizard

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Will the Wizard work with a USB cable between the old and new
machines, instead of a Serial cable. The new machine (notebook)
does not have a Serial port.

Thanks,
George

Yes it will. You just need to find the rght sort of cable
(USB Datalink or Laplink or Data Transfer cable).

Also bear in mind that if both PCs have network ports,
the easiest and cheapest option is to buy a "Cat 5e
Crossover Cable" - plug this in and you've got a network.

Dont know about that,but the best way to use file-transfer,is to
create a folder on old machine,run data to it,then transfer to a cd.
This way takes less time and creates a back-up of all youre files and
settings,if hardware or xp fails,you then reinstall xp but all youre data
is saved to cd.

"George" wrote:

> Will the Wizard work with a USB cable between the old and new
> machines, instead of a Serial cable. The new machine (notebook)
> does not have a Serial port.
>
> Thanks,
> George

DantheMan

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004

Hi George

You can't use a USB cable with this wizard. Try Andrews suggestion or if you do not have CDRW capability then consider a USB network kit.

Regards
Dan

"George" wrote:

> Will the Wizard work with a USB cable between the old and new
> machines, instead of a Serial cable. The new machine (notebook)
> does not have a Serial port.
>
> Thanks,
> George

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Thanks, all, for the responses.

Since I don't have CDRW capability on the old machine, I'm buying
a USB Transfer Cable ("SmartLink" made by IOGear).

Regards,
George