Files & Settings Transfer Wizard

Will the Wizard work with a USB cable between the old and new
machines, instead of a Serial cable. The new machine (notebook)
does not have a Serial port.

Thanks,
George
4 answers Last reply
More about files settings transfer wizard

    Yes it will. You just need to find the rght sort of cable
    (USB Datalink or Laplink or Data Transfer cable).

    Also bear in mind that if both PCs have network ports,
    the easiest and cheapest option is to buy a "Cat 5e
    Crossover Cable" - plug this in and you've got a network.

    Dont know about that,but the best way to use file-transfer,is to
    create a folder on old machine,run data to it,then transfer to a cd.
    This way takes less time and creates a back-up of all youre files and
    settings,if hardware or xp fails,you then reinstall xp but all youre data
    is saved to cd.

    "George" wrote:

    > Will the Wizard work with a USB cable between the old and new
    > machines, instead of a Serial cable. The new machine (notebook)
    > does not have a Serial port.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > George

    Hi George

    You can't use a USB cable with this wizard. Try Andrews suggestion or if you do not have CDRW capability then consider a USB network kit.

    Regards
    Dan

    "George" wrote:

    > Will the Wizard work with a USB cable between the old and new
    > machines, instead of a Serial cable. The new machine (notebook)
    > does not have a Serial port.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > George

    Thanks, all, for the responses.

    Since I don't have CDRW capability on the old machine, I'm buying
    a USB Transfer Cable ("SmartLink" made by IOGear).

    Regards,
    George

    "Dantheman" <Dantheman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi George
    >
    > You can't use a USB cable with this wizard. Try Andrews
    suggestion or if you do not have CDRW capability then consider a
    USB network kit.

    > Regards
    > Dan
    >
    > "George" wrote:
    >
    > > Will the Wizard work with a USB cable between the old and new
    > > machines, instead of a Serial cable. The new machine
    (notebook)
    > > does not have a Serial port.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > George