Sign in with
Your question

Don't buy a Soyo board!

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2002 10:40:56 PM

I bought a <b>NEW SOYO</b> motherboard and used it <b>TWO MONTHS</b> before it BLEW UP PARTS (yes, explosions). Turns out this was a KNOWN ISSUE with certain faulty parts on this board, so I wrote them, called them, etc. for <b><font color=red>FOUR MONTHS</font color=red></b> before they finally issued my an RMA, and told me it would <b>COST $15</b> to repair it <b>UNDER WARRANTY !!!</b> Just getting the RMA required over 3 hours of long distance phone calls! Now, if I sent them the board and waited for them to send it back, it would probably be out of warranty before I even got to use it! <b>DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A COMPANY YOU CAN TRUST WITH YOUR MONEY?</b> Me neither.

I made some comments earlier about this subject, but finally decided to issue a warning, <b>BUYER BEWARE!</b>

Due to this problem I had finally decided to try my soldering skills on this board, and with great results. So if any of you need a board repaired (capacitor replacement), contact me, I use much better parts than the defective parts I received on my new Soyo board.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

More about : buy soyo board

August 20, 2002 10:43:44 PM

ouch...maybe i should warn my friend about that...he wants to get a soyo dragon plus (whatever the name happens to be...its the kt266A chip though) for his AXP 1800+...

:eek:  <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek: 
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2002 11:11:11 PM

Hey, that's how I stumbled. I picked up this ultra stable, ultra fast Soyo board, only to find out it's reliability was questionable.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
Related resources
August 21, 2002 12:59:06 AM

It's kinda strange how things like this happens. Personally I'll never use a IBM HD, Leadtek or Asus video cards, Iwill Motherboard, or a FIC motherboard again. My first rig that I ever built totally from scratch was from a Soyo MB (K62-400). It's still kicking today, but I totally understand your feeling. Now days I tend to stick with companies that I'm comfortable with even if they cost me 10-15 bucks more per product.

I'm not defending Soyo here, just saying that this kind of sh!t happens to everyone. What type rig were you building, P3, P4 or Athlon?

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
August 21, 2002 3:03:33 AM

Hey... I LIKE my Ledtek video cards! Come to think of it, I've got an IBM hard drive too! Oh well... I'm toast!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2002 4:02:28 AM

A PIII. Anyway, the fact that they charge for warranty service is fairly bad. The fact that they don't want to honor their warranty is even worse.

August 21, 2002 2:29:47 PM

hehe Cap explosions eh? Happened to me before too, but it was when I used to race RC cars.

And as for IBM HDD's and LeadTek vid cards, I actually trust them as my best bets. Companies I have learned not to trust Asus (newer boards), Maxtor (some models), Sony (anything Sony), Yamaha, Creative (because of quality not reliability), and Hercules (driver support sux).

Leave a real <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new">link</A>
August 21, 2002 3:21:02 PM

What MB was it. I have a Dragon + and no explosions here. If I have one, what should I do? (Im thinking, run to the nearest exit)
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2002 10:09:14 PM

It was a SY-BA6+III, a board listed on a repair site as one of many with poor quality capacitors. The capacitors on this board exploded out the bottom, making popping noises, pulling them part way out of the board, and releasing a cloud of smoke! As a reference, an Abit board with similar capacitor quality problems only made the capacitors appear slightly swollen.

This problem has been mostly address, I advise against Soyo only because their warranty is almost useless.

a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2002 5:51:17 AM

bump

August 25, 2002 10:48:28 PM

ive never found any mother board company that has good support, most of the time its just not needed. i have had very good experience with my soyo dragon+. how can you claim that an entire company is the devil just because you had a bad expirience, things happen to every company. if a company ran for a long time and had no problems i would worry about their honesty.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2002 5:52:00 PM

<b>The devil is in the details</b>, and the detail here is, even though they have great engineers producing well designed boards, if the board fails you're stuck. It wasn't like it was an isolated incident, I called them 3 times, and sent them like 8 emails, that's a whole lot of incidents of disregarded warranty service!

August 26, 2002 7:01:25 PM

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but reading your note got me all worried....I'm trying to build a new system and I was sorta set on buying a Soyo Dragon Ultra P4X400 with the new DDR 400 support for P4....but after reading these posts I'm questioning that choice...I'm looking for an ultra stable feature filled board...and I had kinda thought that Soyo's were ok...it was either this board or the Asus A7V8X board with DDR 400 support for AMD. Everyone seems to have had problems with virtually every company out there so my question is What's left?? What brand should i buy?
Recommendations???
thank you!!!!
August 26, 2002 11:02:50 PM

Why not get a SiS648 mobo? That'll give you the DDR400 support you want.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2002 12:29:09 AM

Well, the P4X400 is a junk chipset, following VIA's tradition of junk chipsets, this one is outperformed by the SiS 648 chipset in many benchmarks, and the SiS is more reliable. But if I wanted to go DDR on the P4 right now, I'd go with the more "experienced" SiS 645DX, since there isn't any noticable advantage to AGP8x yet. Of course you could choose the best <b>PERFORMING</b> chipset, the Intel i850E, with PC1066 RDRAM, which DOES have an advantage over other chipsets, rather than pick soley based on a so far useless feature of AGP8x.

August 27, 2002 4:11:42 AM

When are you going to wander out of P3 Land?!

a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2002 4:46:11 AM

?

a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2002 12:23:17 PM

Crashman you've left out the little detail in this post that you referenced in your other posts that you overclocked this board to death. Motherboard manufacturers all state your warranty is gone if you overclock, and if you hadn't done that your M/B would probably still be going. M/Bs have limits and from some of your posted braggage you push everyone you get as far as you can, I am personally tired of your crying and whining about this M/B situation. SOYO offered to repair the thing for you for $15.00, I think that was fair on their part seeing as how you were the reason for the failure in the first place.
August 27, 2002 1:28:27 PM

Your still using P3's, upgrade already.

a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2002 4:31:58 PM

Send me money then. Who else do you know running a PIII Coppermine at 1.3GHz? This is an incredible overclock for the coppermine, and mine even runs cool enough with air cooling!

BTW, this new board I'm using is the first one that could hold an overclock. The Soyo board overheated the memory (weak capacitors) even at stock speed the memory was warm. But it was a VERY fast board at stock speed, and replacing the capacitors has allowed me to push it to 150MHz (the limit of my memory). For those of you who didn't know, weak caps can cause noisy power, and overheating of components.

a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2002 7:35:19 PM

Evidence! My point exactly.
August 28, 2002 12:26:41 AM

Thanks for the input you guys, so are you referring more towards any brand board with the Sis 645 chipset or toward a particular brand of mobo that Uses the chipset?
August 28, 2002 12:58:41 AM

i thought all coppermines croaked at around 1133mhz or so? things musta improved. its still 0.18 micron right?

<b>Due to Customer Complaints this sig has been withdrawn from public use. Thankyou. :lol:  </b>
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2002 1:57:02 AM

Well, the P4S533 is a nice board. 648 boards are getting better I think. And the 655 (Dual Channel DDR) is comming out in a few weeks according to official anouncements.

a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2002 1:59:27 AM

Most Coppermines croaked at around 980. The select few that were extremely good were sold as 1000EB's. Now I don't know why this one overclocks so high, but you would certainly suspect that any 1.75v processor would not be on the .13 micron process! Maybe Intel snuck in a revision that I didn't hear about on this one?

August 28, 2002 9:18:26 PM

<i><font color=red>"Does overclocking cause the capacitor to fail?</font color=red>

<b>NO, absolutely not!!!</b>

Overclocking will make the CPU core run hotter than normal, <b>the on-board regulator controls a lot more than the CPU core and should have plenty of overhead because future CPU's may need higher current.</b> Overclocking may cause instability and aliens from other planets may be offended by the RFI generated but <b>it won't cause capacitor failure!</b>"</i>

<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~garyheadlee/" target="_new">Link</A>

<i><font color=blue>The only difference between 200 fps and 300 fps is the blink of the eyes.</font color=blue></i>
August 28, 2002 9:24:49 PM

you mean to tell me your gonna wine, moan and groan just because of one dog gone incident..please, grow up ... and the fact that you OCd it, you shouldnt even be whining ... its your fault in the first place...soyo dont have to do anything for you ....

just like i tell people who i help here with computers, or what i wish i can tell the person:

"the problem isnt the computer, the problem lies in between the keyboard and the chair"

:rollseyes:

August 28, 2002 9:36:48 PM

Are there any articles on the 655 out there?

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2002 10:14:44 PM

STFU you ignorant arse, I didn't overclock it at all, it was one of the boards that had a power problem to the memory from the time I first plugged it in where it wouldn't support two top quality Crucial memory modules at the sime time without overheating them, and any clock above stock also overheated the modules. And this is supposed to be an overclockers board to begin with, so even if I was overclocking it would be irrelavent. In fact, this particular board is on a repair center's short list of boards that just up and die from the problem (#2 on the list, #1 was the Abit BE6-II). So the company knew it was defective. And we're not talking ancient history, I just finished dealing with the company a month ago. And it's not an isolated incident of them loosing the information, they instead ignored it FOUR TIMES when I followed their RMA request proceedure. And twice by phone. If you think this is acceptable practice for a manufacturer, maybe you should go to work for an auto dealer and find out how far this attitude gets you. Especially since I've disproven everything you just said.

a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2002 10:16:54 PM

I haven't seen one yet. Do me a favor and spot one before I do, it'll make you a hero for a day!

August 28, 2002 10:19:58 PM

oh please, you show your ignorance just by saying the whole company is bad just because of your incident...thats ignorant of itself .... its just like the auto makers...they all have problems and recalls with them, EVERY SINGLE AUTOMAKER, so you mean to tell me your not gonna buy one car or tell everyone else not to buy a car becuase of that?

please, just because your mad at them, or maybe they made one mistake with you dont mean [-peep-]...unless you can get many other people that have had this same thing happen to them, you stfu

*sarcastic please* :rolleyes:

August 28, 2002 10:41:11 PM

My ignorance? You didn't know that the law protects new car buyers from similar incidents? It's not like it happened once, but FOUR TIMES. At the very least that would imply that you shouldn't buy any newly released products from them. And that even after a product has been on the market for several months, you still might have to dig around a while to find out what kinds of quality controll problems a product has faced.

So you think it's acceptable to put a warranty on a product and then not honor it? Good for you, would you like to buy a system from me with no warranty? I'll tell you what, I'll sell you a complete XP1800+ system with 80GB, CDRW, DVD, Ti4200, and 512MB DDR, for $400. I'll warranty that it works as long as you don't plug it in! Sound like a deal? That's about the extent of Soyo's warranty as well.

August 28, 2002 10:51:00 PM

no im not saying its right to not honor it, im saying its stupid for you to go around and say that a whole company is bad just because of your situation ... maybe if its known that Soyo doesnt honor its warranties, then yea, go and make a fuss about it, we prob all will too......but maybe they just overlooked things. i have had that happen to me a couple times, but dont mean the company is bad .... i had a screw up with CompUSA in which i was wrongly charged $3500 on a return on my credit card. it wasnt until 3 months later that i got it back, and it was their fault, and the reason? because 2 of the 3 main people i talked with, just happened to start work there in CSR for less than a week. does that mean the whole company is bad? hell no.

August 28, 2002 11:04:29 PM

"ive never found any mother board company that has good support"

I suppose each has their own experiences with mobo companies. I smoke a couple chips on 2 Asus K7V mobos, and I had them both RMA in no time. But when I called to ask about the clips that hold the CPU down, cause I needed one. They had no ideal what I was talking about, thought I would have to send them a picture or something.

Also during a BIOS update, I thought I screwed up the BIOS on an Abit mobo. Abit was ready and more then happy to send out a new BIOS chip, and for only $15. bucks.

Creative Labs just sent my Mega speaker back, cause I blew two up, but they didn't replaces them. They just called and the guy said he was going to personally look at them, and also send a mailing sticker, for I don't have to pay shipping again. Hehe..he also wanted me to send my Live card, guess I shouldn't have said I thought it was the card that blew them.

My point is I've had pretty good luck with the above companies, but I'm also persistent and feel you attract more fly's with honey, then with sh*t.

<b>Crashman</b> Good to hear at least you got your mobo first, even though you ended up doing it yourself. $15. buck under warranty, sounds like only the labor is covered, thats screwy.

It seems like whenever you want to buy something, or sign up for something, they always seem to have an 800 number, but anything other they give you a number where it takes for ever to get a hold of someone, where you think the phone is dead, or you get stuck with long distant.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?
August 29, 2002 12:20:44 PM

Quote:
So you think it's acceptable to put a warranty on a product and then not honor it?

That reminds me of the line from "Tommy Boy" where Farley says "I could take a dump in a box and put a guarantee on it. Then what would you have? A guaranteed POS!"

Funny movie...

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2002 4:06:36 PM

LOL

a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2002 4:06:39 PM

LOL

a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2002 4:48:28 PM

10-4, DITTO, Bravo JaeSun!!!
!