randomizer

Champion
I find it amusing that a game that has been in development for 6 years needs a patch that fixes... how many was it again? 68+ problems! They should really have had a demo or something to get user feedback rather than a pile of trailers. I also find the version number funny coz its so long. It could have 2 hidden meanings that the developers are trying to get across:

1) Its v1.0001 because its only a very minor change and is still almost the same as v1.0 - there are over 68 changes lol

2) Its v1.0001 because we need alot of numbers to fit lots of upcoming patch versions into - much more likely

I personally liked the game after I got past having to use a double-barreled shotgun against guys with the AKM 74/2 (why do they insist on regurgitating the AK47 in every game?) but now they have to make me start again with this patch...

Anyways theres my rave. Someone is bound to get all emotional about me posting my opinions, so as Baron would say, Flame On!

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
lol, atleast in supreme commander, the game remembers the last mission you played, so you only had to restart that one..

I like the patches DICE makes for Battlefield, seems like nothing gets fixed, stuff gets worst, or new bugs appear (deploying sl drone kills you on occasion), to this day gunships are still messed (supposedly working on in this beta patch).

Patches "grind my gears".

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
There was a QS to begin with! Thing is, the game names your QS whatever your windows profile name is, so if there happens to be a SPACE in your name i.e. "john doe_quicksave" the game wont load it. You can go into the saved games file and remove the space and it will load, but you would have to do it everytime you QS. Best off to get in a habit of Manualy saving. The same is true for Auto saves.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
lol, atleast in supreme commander, the game remembers the last mission you played, so you only had to restart that one..

I like the patches DICE makes for Battlefield, seems like nothing gets fixed, stuff gets worst, or new bugs appear (deploying sl drone kills you on occasion), to this day gunships are still messed (supposedly working on in this beta patch).

Patches "grind my gears".

Ahh C'mon man stop being so negative :lol: :lol:

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
C&C3 patch 1.1 wtf, next day patch lol
Oblivion patch 1.2, supposedly need to play shivering isles, but I played without for 2 hours last night...... unless it was installed without telling me.

Hey lookie, another supcom patch.. worldmap? I haven't touched supcom in a bit...

PS. Sorry OP for turning this into a "I hate patches" thread :p

randomizer

Champion
AND THERES STILL NO QUICKSAVE!

Stop bullshiting, by default quicksafe is F6 and quickload F7 and its been there since the begining, it didnt just appear with this patch.
Perhaps in the US version, not in mine there wasnt. If it was there I would have used to, do you think I like save menus? They also got the "Load Last Save" button now too, which is only useful when you load up the game initially. Has anyone found the patch is unstable? I get crashes every few minutes now, I often have to reboot. Didnt happen b4 I patched.

EDIT: Guess you dont even have the US version tho, hmmm...

PS. Sorry OP for turning this into a "I hate patches" thread Razz
Dont worry, I'm with you on it lol. Games with 6 years of development shouldnt need patches. Why cant all games be like Freelancer? One patch only that isnt even needed unless your a server. M$ contributed to good software for once.

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
i have the aussie version use for F6 quicksave and F7 for quick load since the beginning.
One thing though I'm fairly sure they didn't print it in the manual i could find it at least.

I just pressed buttons till I found the right one.

randomizer

Champion
I looked at the readme anyway and F6/F7 are the voting buttons apparently.

Have a look at this:

[code:1:7fa4e24289]DEFAULT BASIC GAME CONTROLS

— Begin Voting F5
— Vote F6
— Vote "No" F7
— Vote "Yes" F8
...[/code:1:7fa4e24289]
Thats what mine says. Anyway it doesnt really matter that much, as long as there is a quicksave. Save menus suck.

EDIT: I did a rollback to the v1.0 coz I needed to, and there is in fact a quicksave (so I removed my comment from my original post about it). It is however not documented anywhere and isnt even in the controls list. Kinda poor really, since its much more likely to be used than a normal save.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Battlefield 2142 doesn't have the AK, must've been lost in all that damn ice or sand, one of the two, because that's all the terrain the game has!

antikristuseke

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
True, but they just keep using it with a different name: akm 74/2... Be creative when you make a game seriously.

No, an AKM 74/2 is not the same weapons as the AK 47 is. They are constructed differently and fire different rounds, the AK 47 fires a 7.62x39mm round while the AKM 74 fires the 5.45x39mm round. And for a game that strives to be realistic to as far as its possible within the context should allways use real world weapons if they have the licence, thats why all other firearms in the game dont share a name with their real world counterparts but are very easily recognized by gun nutters like me.

tirefire

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
No, an AKM 74/2 is not the same weapons as the AK 47 is. They are constructed differently and fire different rounds, the AK 47 fires a 7.62x39mm round while the AKM 74 fires the 5.45x39mm round. And for a game that strives to be realistic to as far as its possible within the context should allways use real world weapons if they have the licence, thats why all other firearms in the game dont share a name with their real world counterparts but are very easily recognized by gun nutters like me.

Plus, don't ex-soviet countries like the Ukraine have big stockpiles of old kalashnikovs lying around? I'd kinda expect to see at least some derivative of the old AK in the game.

randomizer

Champion
True, but they just keep using it with a different name: akm 74/2... Be creative when you make a game seriously.

You missed my point, the names are similar, thats what I'm getting at not the weapon itself. They cant make a decent name without copying the AK47

tirefire

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
You missed my point, the names are similar, thats what I'm getting at not the weapon itself. They cant make a decent name without copying the AK47

Are "they" the developers of the game, or the folks who manufacture the weapons?

antikristuseke

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
I fail to see your point, what should they call it then, what is the point of having a different name? The AK-74 is called that because it is an Avtomat Kalashnikova, obraztsa 1974 goda, which means it was comissioned in 1974, what more do you need? Would it be better if it was called Wunderwaffe 666?

randomizer

Champion
That name is funnier lol I'd prefer it. In the game it should have at least called it something with a bit more deviation from the AK47 since its supposed to be a little futuristic and it is just a game.

tirefire

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
That name is funnier lol I'd prefer it. In the game it should have at least called it something with a bit more deviation from the AK47 since its supposed to be a little futuristic and it is just a game.

Doesn't it take place in 2012? That's not too far ahead in the future.