XP and Porn????

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

BlankCan someone help me with a Windows 98 problem.
I know this is a XP site but all I really know is XP & 2000. I am trying to
help a friend build a computer for his daughter and I am trying to put in 98
it is not big enough for XP maybe 2000? it is 366 with 2 hard drives 8 & 4
GB.
I formatted it with a 98 disk and it installed all the drivers but when the
system reboots a message comes up about making sure to install virus
software and when it tries to start up the screen goes all fuzzy like a
distorted TV
The monitor works good for anything else it has two CD's but only takes one
and not the other.
Any help gratefully appreciated.
Is anyone else get all the porn sites in here, they were not here last time
I was here before new computer a month ago. How do you get rid of them??
Thanks Bruce

--
When things are hard and seem to be going uphill
......QUIT and let someone else do it!!!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

????
"Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@monarch.net> wrote in message
> BlankCan someone help me with a Windows 98 problem.
> I know this is a XP site but all I really know is XP & 2000. I am trying
> help a friend build a computer for his daughter and I am trying to put in
98
> it is not big enough for XP maybe 2000? it is 366 with 2 hard drives 8 & 4
> GB.

IMO a 366 CPU is marginal for Windows 98. Pull both hard drives and install
at least one of reasonable size - at least 60 Gb

> I formatted it with a 98 disk and it installed all the drivers but when
the
> system reboots a message comes up about making sure to install virus
> software and when it tries to start up the screen goes all fuzzy like a
> distorted TV

I am not aware of any retail Windows 98 that has a message about install an
anti-virus {although you should}. The distorted monitor view may be due to
an incorrect refresh rate in a CRT monitor.

> The monitor works good for anything else it has two CD's but only takes
one
> and not the other.

So? What do the labels on the monitor CDs say. Perhaps they are for
different versions of Windows.

Don

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Trying to figure out what the subject has to do with the content.....

Anyhow, you need to reseat the video card, it is not aligned correctly.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@monarch.net> wrote in message
> BlankCan someone help me with a Windows 98 problem.
> I know this is a XP site but all I really know is XP & 2000. I am trying
> help a friend build a computer for his daughter and I am trying to put in
98
> it is not big enough for XP maybe 2000? it is 366 with 2 hard drives 8 & 4
> GB.
> I formatted it with a 98 disk and it installed all the drivers but when
the
> system reboots a message comes up about making sure to install virus
> software and when it tries to start up the screen goes all fuzzy like a
> distorted TV
> The monitor works good for anything else it has two CD's but only takes
one
> and not the other.
> Any help gratefully appreciated.
> Is anyone else get all the porn sites in here, they were not here last
time
> I was here before new computer a month ago. How do you get rid of them??
> Thanks Bruce
>
> --
> When things are hard and seem to be going uphill
> .....QUIT and let someone else do it!!!

johnf

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

A bit of misleading advice there, Don.

W98 runs very nicely on anything from a P90 up.
I ran XP Pro on a P400 for quite a while with absolutely no problems.

--

johnf

"johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
> A bit of misleading advice there, Don.
>
> W98 runs very nicely on anything from a P90 up.
> I ran XP Pro on a P400 for quite a while with absolutely no problems.
>
> --

You are right. I was not thinking.

Don

Bruce Lawrence wrote:
> BlankCan someone help me with a Windows 98 problem.
> I know this is a XP site but all I really know is XP & 2000. I am
> trying to help a friend build a computer for his daughter and I am
> trying to put in 98 it is not big enough for XP maybe 2000? it is 366
> with 2 hard drives 8 & 4 GB.
> I formatted it with a 98 disk and it installed all the drivers but
> when the system reboots a message comes up about making sure to
> install virus software and when it tries to start up the screen goes
> all fuzzy like a distorted TV
> The monitor works good for anything else it has two CD's but only
> takes one and not the other.
> Any help gratefully appreciated.
> Is anyone else get all the porn sites in here, they were not here
> last time I was here before new computer a month ago. How do you get
> rid of them?? Thanks Bruce

Bruce,

You need to be more specific with your "porn sites" reference.
Are they popping up on you in Internet Explorer windows?
Windows Messenger windows?
Are you reading Newsgroup posts that talk about porn?

--
<- Shenan ->

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Thanks for all the input. It was the video card not in all the way. Do not
know why the virus message though, but seems to work now. The 98 disks were
original but I did have to update drivers. No BIOS check feature either.
Nobody answered the porno question or am I the only one who sees them.
Just wondering how to get rid of them.
Thanks

Bruce Lawrence wrote:
> Thanks for all the input. It was the video card not in all the way.
> Do not know why the virus message though, but seems to work now. The
> 98 disks were original but I did have to update drivers. No BIOS
> check feature either. Nobody answered the porno question or am I the
> only one who sees them. Just wondering how to get rid of them.
> Thanks

Spyware - it was answered...

--
<- Shenan ->

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Sorry I meant that they [porn advertisements] are in the newsgroups. You are
reading headers then there is headers with make big money now, See my
silicon tittles 364, etc. There are about 30 headers average or more.

Bruce Lawrence wrote:
> Sorry I meant that they [porn advertisements] are in the newsgroups.
> You are reading headers then there is headers with make big money
> now, See my silicon tittles 364, etc. There are about 30 headers
> average or more.

Unfortunately, they are a fact of life on a public and anonymous newsgroup
such as this one. =(

--
<- Shenan ->

I don't see what could possibly be objectionable about
"silicon tittles." Now, if it were "silicone titties" I
could understand, but a few silicon tittles never hurt
anyone.

johnf

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Perhaps Bruce either couldn't see the woods for the trees, or gave up
reading part way through - as I did.

Really, 30 programs to download & 10 links to follow, read & try to digest
their content is slightly over the top.

Perhaps it would have been easier just to ask what Bruce meant by his query
"Is anyone else get all the porn sites in here?"
Especially what he meant by 'in here'

BTW, I fail to see the connection between porn-sites & spyware.
--

johnf

johnf wrote:
> Perhaps Bruce either couldn't see the woods for the trees, or gave up
> reading part way through - as I did.
>
> Really, 30 programs to download & 10 links to follow, read & try to
> digest their content is slightly over the top.
>
> Perhaps it would have been easier just to ask what Bruce meant by his
> query "Is anyone else get all the porn sites in here?"
> Especially what he meant by 'in here'
>
> BTW, I fail to see the connection between porn-sites & spyware.

Usually - porn sites install spy/adware and/or some spyware/adware opens
por-site popups.

--
<- Shenan ->