What are the main differences in these boards?

camtr

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
I am fairly new to computer specifics. I will be building my first computer and think I want to buy either the ABIT IT7 MAX or the ASUS p4b533-e. I would like to know what the main differences are in these two boards. I have tried to look at spec sheets for the two and compare them but I still do not understand exactly what some of the specs mean. Please Forgive my ignorance as I am still learning, I have already learned a lot from these forms but realize I have way more to learn. One thing I would like to make sure of is what is the fastest ram each can use. Thanks in advance for any help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The biggest difference is that one (P4B) has Keyboard, Mouse, Printer, and Serial ports, the other (IT7) doesn't. I don't usually recommend "legacy free" boards as I don't see any advantage to them. But the biggest drawback of the IT7 is that it only has 4 PCI slots, and since 1 is sharing an IRQ with the AGP, only 3 of those are usefull for many cards.

Both will run your DDR400 at DDR354 speeds if you select the 3:4 CPU:RAM bus ratios, using a "533" bus processor. Overclocking would allow you to see the full DDR400 speed at 150MHz FSB. DDR400, aka PC3200, is relatively inexpensive, just a little more pricey than the slower types.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>