Firewall - LAN vs Dial-up Modem

July 14, 2004 2:28:16 AM

My used pc had a cable modem, and until I get used to using it I'm using
a "Generic 56K dialup modem" and not paying for cable.

I have been through all the firewall installation proceedures I can
find. My issue is:

Control Panel
Network and Internet Connections
Network Connections

this is where the tutes say "highlight a connection that you want to
help protect, then click Change Settings of this connection".

Highlighting the LAN or High-Speed Internet connection gives me the
correct pop-up and I have checked Protect on the Advanced Tab. Then it
gives me "network cable unplugged" under LAN or High-Speed Internet
Connection on the Internet Connection page, and also puts an icon next
to the clock on the taskbar, the network thing with a red X.

Clicking the connection called MSN Explorer, Generic 56K Modem does not
give me the same popup (no advanced tab) and therefore I cannot install
the firewall for this connection.

Am I OK? The previous user had a network with a pc and a wireless
laptop and all those details are listed in the LAN description, should I
disable the Local Area Connection if I am not using the network on
cable?

July 14, 2004 7:42:38 AM

Your firewall program should be able to discern between a LAN, and internet
connection via LAN.
If you don't have an internet connection via LAN, remove the connection
settings for it in IE's setup. Leave IE no option but to connect via telco
modem.
"tomasito" <tobeaches@webtv.net> wrote in message
> My used pc had a cable modem, and until I get used to using it I'm using
> a "Generic 56K dialup modem" and not paying for cable.
>

> I have been through all the firewall installation proceedures I can
> find. My issue is:
>
> Control Panel
> Network and Internet Connections
> Network Connections
>
> this is where the tutes say "highlight a connection that you want to
> help protect, then click Change Settings of this connection".
>

> Highlighting the LAN or High-Speed Internet connection gives me the
> correct pop-up and I have checked Protect on the Advanced Tab. Then it
> gives me "network cable unplugged" under LAN or High-Speed Internet
> Connection on the Internet Connection page, and also puts an icon next
> to the clock on the taskbar, the network thing with a red X.
>

> Clicking the connection called MSN Explorer, Generic 56K Modem does not
> give me the same popup (no advanced tab) and therefore I cannot install
> the firewall for this connection.
>

> Am I OK? The previous user had a network with a pc and a wireless
> laptop and all those details are listed in the LAN description, should I
> disable the Local Area Connection if I am not using the network on
> cable?

July 14, 2004 7:54:03 AM

Hi

In answer to your question, if you are not using a LAN connection it is better to disable it, for simplicity's sake.

I don't see why you don't have an advanced tab for you dialup connection, did you set this connection up? If you create a new connection you should select these options for a 56k dialup:

Connect to the internet
Setup my ISP manually

The wizard will ask you at the end if you want to turn on the firewall. This sort of connection will also have an advanced tab.

Regards
Dan

"Lil' Dave" wrote:

> Your firewall program should be able to discern between a LAN, and internet
> connection via LAN.
> If you don't have an internet connection via LAN, remove the connection
> settings for it in IE's setup. Leave IE no option but to connect via telco
> modem.
> "tomasito" <tobeaches@webtv.net> wrote in message
> > My used pc had a cable modem, and until I get used to using it I'm using
> > a "Generic 56K dialup modem" and not paying for cable.
> >

> > I have been through all the firewall installation proceedures I can
> > find. My issue is:
> >
> > Control Panel
> > Network and Internet Connections
> > Network Connections
> >
> > this is where the tutes say "highlight a connection that you want to
> > help protect, then click Change Settings of this connection".
> >

> > Highlighting the LAN or High-Speed Internet connection gives me the
> > correct pop-up and I have checked Protect on the Advanced Tab. Then it
> > gives me "network cable unplugged" under LAN or High-Speed Internet
> > Connection on the Internet Connection page, and also puts an icon next
> > to the clock on the taskbar, the network thing with a red X.
> >

> > Clicking the connection called MSN Explorer, Generic 56K Modem does not
> > give me the same popup (no advanced tab) and therefore I cannot install
> > the firewall for this connection.
> >

> > Am I OK? The previous user had a network with a pc and a wireless
> > laptop and all those details are listed in the LAN description, should I
> > disable the Local Area Connection if I am not using the network on
> > cable?

July 14, 2004 11:26:18 AM

I re-set-up the connection wizard, changed it from the Realtec ethernet
NIC to MSN dialup modem. Now both connections are firewalled and the
LAN is disabled. Whew! glad I asked. Thanks.
July 14, 2004 11:41:03 AM

Glad it's working now :o )

!