Need to cool down overheated HP873n CPU

I'm noticing some weirdness with my HP 873n PC
that I'm betting is due to overheating, and sure
enough, when I check the hardware monitor at boot-time,
I usually see the temp is over 40 degrees C, with the
fan going around 2700 RPM (and no CPU fan).

I've installed an extra fan in one of the slots, but it's
only helping marginally, so I'm thinking of removing
the heatsink on the CPU and installing a CPU fan.
Has anyone does this, and if so, do you have
suggestions for a good fan?

Thanks very much - John Switzer

----
johnswitzer@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~johnswitzer

John Switzer wrote:
> I'm noticing some weirdness with my HP 873n PC
> that I'm betting is due to overheating, and sure
> enough, when I check the hardware monitor at boot-time,
> I usually see the temp is over 40 degrees C, with the
> fan going around 2700 RPM (and no CPU fan).
>
> I've installed an extra fan in one of the slots, but it's
> only helping marginally, so I'm thinking of removing
> the heatsink on the CPU and installing a CPU fan.
> Has anyone does this, and if so, do you have
> suggestions for a good fan?
>
> Thanks very much - John Switzer
>
> ----
> johnswitzer@earthlink.net
> http://home.earthlink.net/~johnswitzer

40C is a walk in the park; there should be no evidence of overheating.
Max critical temp for a P4 is in the region of 80C.

> John Switzer wrote:
> > I'm noticing some weirdness with my HP 873n PC
> > that I'm betting is due to overheating, and sure
> > enough, when I check the hardware monitor at boot-time,
> > I usually see the temp is over 40 degrees C, with the
> > fan going around 2700 RPM (and no CPU fan).
> >
> > I've installed an extra fan in one of the slots, but it's
> > only helping marginally, so I'm thinking of removing
> > the heatsink on the CPU and installing a CPU fan.
> > Has anyone does this, and if so, do you have
> > suggestions for a good fan?
> >
> > Thanks very much - John Switzer
> >
> > ----
> > johnswitzer@earthlink.net
> > http://home.earthlink.net/~johnswitzer
>
> 40C is a walk in the park; there should be no evidence of overheating.
> Max critical temp for a P4 is in the region of 80C.

What's 40C, the CPU or the motherboard? 40C is fine for the CPU, but if the
motherboard temp is 40C, that would indicate very poor air flow and I would
imagine the CPU temperature is pretty high.
E-vil