Sign in with
Your question

really need some help with XP install

Last response: in Windows XP
April 21, 2004 3:22:13 PM

Not sure which area of the forum to post this, so I apologize if its in the wrong section:

Here's my situation- I bought a nice Intel MB and a 3.2 processor, SATA 140GB HD, etc and my comp worked great for 2 months- then the motherboard fried. No big deal, but due to budget, I had to replace the motherboard with a Shuttle AV49P/N and a 2.4c P4.

That's when it started getting out of my knowledge range. Naturally, I had to reinstall Windows (XP Pro). Using the XP Pro cd I have (and I legitimately own) , on install I have to manually load the XP drivers for my SATA drive, which it seems to recognize just fine. I've tried bother versions of HDD format, but when I go to install windows, it crashes or hangs. One random file during each install Windows will tell me its having trouble copying, but when I retry it, I don't get the error again on that install. It will then, however, crash when going through the "creating Start menu items" process. Secondly, it will very frequently hang when going through the intial install just after XP asks for the date/time settings.

On restart, XP will recognize the system folder and give me the option to repair, but no luck. If I boot normal, it will continue with install, and freeze/crash at the same location.

I've looked in the BIOS and disabled/enabled just about every possible combination to see if that was the problem, but the AMIBIOS doesn't offer a lot of options in that area- I've turned off hyperthreading, that kinda stuff but no luck.

So my first thought was a corrupt or damage disk, so I borrowed a copy of XP Corp and do a clean run- same situation: hanging and crashing during install at the same place.

I can't believe the disk is corrput, but I'm looking for another way to format it aside from the one during the XP install, but I don't have an IDE drive I can borrow. I'm leaning towards a BIOS thing, but damned if I know how to fix it.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I know its kinda lengthy post, but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks.

More about : install

April 21, 2004 4:26:13 PM

ram could be bad. or your cd rom drive.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring valve security module!
April 22, 2004 1:53:08 AM

Fist thing I thought when I was reading your post was danaged CD, but as you said you tried another. However, I also had some problems installing XP to my SATA drives because I wasn't using the latest drivers for my PCI SATA RAID card. Are you using the latest SATA drivers? Worth a check.

Good luck.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=27..." target="_new">My Rigs</A>
Related resources
April 22, 2004 2:49:55 AM

I second the idea of some bad RAM. Download and run Mentest86 (free) to rule out one possibility.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek: 
May 1, 2004 12:47:19 PM

Well, it's a little hard to tell if it could be the CD drive. You didn't mention if it gives trouble with any other CD's. If you have another machine, swap it out and try it. Might be RAM if it's the same RAM as was on the fried mobo.

But that still leaves the root question: What fried the original mobo? If it was the power supply, then you've got a serious problem there. A flaky power supply can do all kinds of things to ruin your sleep. That includes frying parts of your hard drive and/or the electronics of it.

Quote:
<font color=green>===</font color=green> Never assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>====</font color=green>

May 2, 2004 1:11:36 AM

Windows XP doesn't work well with SATA UNLESS you have Service Pack 1 with it.

Help a newbie out!
May 2, 2004 5:02:06 AM

Did you mean "within it"?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
May 2, 2004 5:35:36 AM

After taking each RAM chip out, one if them is completly hosed and one is very unstable. Not too happy about the added expense, yet again.

Thanks for the help, you guys were right on the money
May 2, 2004 6:20:39 AM

check the memory in the different mobo if you can get access to one, might help.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
May 7, 2004 4:32:37 PM

Quote:
Here's my situation- I bought a nice Intel MB and a 3.2 processor, SATA 140GB HD, etc and my comp worked great for 2 months- then the motherboard fried. No big deal, but due to budget, I had to replace the motherboard with a Shuttle AV49P/N and a 2.4c P4.

Why didn't you just RMA the defective part(s)? Would have saved you a lot of money and you still would have had a 3.2 P4.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
May 8, 2004 12:10:02 AM

I think he means install from a SP1a installation CD rather than a pre SP1 CD.
!