PS3 vs. 360 - Oblivion Comparison

Tags:
  • Console Gaming
  • Playstation
  • Oblivion
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
March 28, 2007 5:49:11 PM

[Edit] I'd like to say that this is not a flame to either system and I don't want to hear any flames either. This is a simple comparison of the graphical capabilities of the two systems. [/Edit]

This news may be a little old (5 days) but I was on Game Trailers and I saw some videos comparing Oblivion on the PS3 and 360. If you haven't seen them yet, you can jump over here. (Download the HD versions for best comparison.) From what I've seen, there isn't much of a difference

It seems the PS3 version is brighter, which gives more detail in shadowed faces, for example, but the darkness of the 360 seems to give more color depth in bright environs, such as an open field in full sun light, where the PS3 image looks more muted. It also looked to me like the 360 uses better filters on textures, which is only apparent when you examine a wall up close.

I also remember seeing a map loading stutter on the 360 in an outdoor scene. I wasn't really looking for that at the time, and I didn't notice it until the last video I watched, so it's probably meaningless for comparison until the PS3 version is out for review.

I don't know, it seems the only differences are to be expected given the nVidia vs. ATI hardware. It could just be the engine, but if this lack of difference carries over to other cross-platform titles, I think that's a good thing for this hardware generation.

More about : ps3 360 oblivion comparison

March 29, 2007 12:46:39 AM

I read an article on gamespot comparing the two versions if you're interested in taking a look. I am currently playing the ps3 version and have seen the 360 version, the load time between areas is definately better on the ps3, the largest difference i noticed were the draw distances, they seem to be significantly incrased on the ps3, although I do wish that they were still a little further. The ps3 version just seems to look a little better overall as well.
March 29, 2007 6:06:02 PM

Well there's also the fact that the XBOX 360 is unable to output 1080p so there's the resolution factor that makes it look better and the load times are significantly better. Also some people are saying that it is possible for the XBOX 360 to do 1080p when the new elite version comes out with HDMI, however I recently found out that the frame buffer is unable to output 1080p so the new elite version should leave everything as it currently is.
Related resources
March 30, 2007 1:29:44 AM

:? Where did you get all that from? The 360 has supported 1080p through VGA since the Fall '06 update. I'm running it at that res right now. There aren't any frame buffer issues.

Quote:
...the load time between areas is definately better on the ps3, the largest difference i noticed were the draw distances, they seem to be significantly incrased on the ps3...

I'd like to see the loading time difference. It'd be nice.

As for draw distance, apparently (oh no, I'm going into urban myth here) the patch released for the 360 version just days before Shivering Isles was released fixed a couple graphics issues, including extending draw distances and adding a few new shader tricks. I didn't notice a difference, but then I downloaded the update before I knew what to look for...
March 30, 2007 6:31:06 PM

Frame buffer has always been an issue that is preventing it from outputting an actual 1080p resolution, you may think it's 1080p but it's just upscaled so it looks like it, the Xbox isn't able to update the 2 million + pixels that 1080p resolution requires.
March 30, 2007 7:11:11 PM

:roll: Do you know what a framebuffer is? The 360 couldn't upscale to 1080p if it couldn't draw a 1080p image in the first place.

I believe what's messing you up is that 360 games weren't initially programmed to support 1080p, as the highest supported output res was 1080i, and thus required upscaling to output at a higher res once the patch came out. Some games released after the update, like Lost Planet, support 1080p natively. The rest are still upscaled

Again, please provide a link if you've got one.
March 30, 2007 9:04:23 PM

Finding a good websource is quite impossible, I'm working on that one for you. One thing I do know is my television has a little feature that lets you know what resolution it is recieving through the input. Which the XBOX 360 can only do 1080i.
March 30, 2007 9:08:02 PM

Are you using a component video cable by any chance? If your TV supports 1080p over VGA, I'd suggest you try that out, that is if it didn't cost around $50 for the cable. An expensive test if you don't already have it.
March 30, 2007 9:55:37 PM

you're right it is quite an expensive test not sure if i'm willing to try it out, but they still argue that you can do it with component, and from what I know I think that's impossible, by the way I appreciate the proper arguing with the socratic method, fan boys who yell and don't care if they are speaking the truth just if they yell the loudest, but I doubt would have the nuts too say it in person.
May 18, 2007 10:36:13 PM

Bit of an old thread, but this had to be said.

These two cannot be compared, as they were not released at the same time. The developers had much more time to perfect the PS3 version to get rid of things such as loading times and bad framerates by using caching. So, dont compare them. Please.
May 19, 2007 11:36:12 PM

Quote:
Bit of an old thread, but this had to be said.

These two cannot be compared, as they were not released at the same time. The developers had much more time to perfect the PS3 version to get rid of things such as loading times and bad framerates by using caching. So, dont compare them. Please.

what r u trying to get your post count up by bringing up an old thread? you could of just let it be.

Now to the reason i responded to this should be dead thread the development time was not that much from when it was released to use for sony, its not like both msft and sony started devlepoment at the same time. regardless it does not matter cause look at fear , it had alot of so called "development time" for the ps3 and look at the POS game they finally did release.
May 22, 2007 10:33:46 PM

Wow, you really have no clue. But, I respect that. Time to end this.
May 23, 2007 2:00:07 AM

Bump. :p 
May 23, 2007 8:32:31 PM

What's an "Oblivion"? Is it a USB device, or does it attach to the video cables? :? :?

:twisted:
May 24, 2007 6:14:01 PM

Oh yes, I'm sorry. Permit me to explain.

Oblivion is that office where you will find a copy of the agreement between Microsoft and Sony to manufacture compatible console hardware in 2010 waiting to be signed.

Next to it is the agenda for the tentative meeting between NVidia and ATI where they plan to use Ruby and Adrianne in a mud wresting tech demo.

The paperwork on the CPUs featuring both AMD and Intel cores is still in the works.

The comparison was simply my personal experience watching the video surveillance tapes taken from two different sides of the room. I found it remarkable that even though one camera was installed a year later there was very little difference in video quality.

Does that help?
May 24, 2007 7:58:54 PM

OUCH!!!!

I used to tell all my friends that the XBox360 was superior to the PS3 on the graphic side. If any of these friends see these video they are gonna kick my ass for lying to them. :wink:

Altough I don't own any of the console, and don't plan to neither (PC gamer by hearts, but with respect for console guys), the PS3 version definitly looks better on all the video.

Are there any other video for other games on both console? I'd like to know if this is the exception or the rule? Or any for high end PC vs PS3 and XBox360?

Thanks for your reply.
May 24, 2007 9:46:37 PM

all of you, look at my previous post. AS OF NOW, THE 360's MAIN GRAPHICS ARE BETTER THAN THE PS3's, (although the environments are questionable.) The reason for this is that the developers had much more time for fine-tuning the PS3 version.
May 24, 2007 10:48:50 PM

Quote:
Are there any other video for other games on both console? I'd like to know if this is the exception or the rule? Or any for high end PC vs PS3 and XBox360?

I haven't seen any other videos comparing the same game on the two consoles yet, which is why this one stood out to me. (Also I'm a big Oblivion fan. :wink:)  We'll see if another comes around.

As for a PC comparison, it's interesting that you should mention that. There are a number of contraversial threads in the hardware section. Here are two:

8800 RULEZ oblivion on ps3 looks like...

Visually best Xbox 360 game versus visually best PC game

In general, it's useless to compare PCs to consoles, given the evolving and uncertain nature of PC hardware versus the constant nature of console hardware.

Besides, this goes beyond my original intent. I was just curious to see if there was a significant perceptible difference between the two consoles, as there was with the PS2 vs. GC vs. Xbox. I don't see that being much of a problem this time around.

Quote:
all of you, look at my previous post.

You know, I honestly would if you'd looked at mine. :p 

@fast1marine: Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on that 1080p issue yet. Soon... :wink:
May 30, 2007 4:08:33 PM

im sure nobody is going to read this, but if im not mistaken, vga would only be an upscale to 1080i because it uses a analog signal?
June 21, 2007 2:48:10 AM

Quote:
all of you, look at my previous post. AS OF NOW, THE 360's MAIN GRAPHICS ARE BETTER THAN THE PS3's, (although the environments are questionable.) The reason for this is that the developers had much more time for fine-tuning the PS3 version.

No not really... the reality is that it's heavily game dependent. Both consoles have the advantages and disadvantages, but overall the PS3 has more umph (although the fact that it's harder to program for might mean it never gets taken advantage of). The 360 has great developers tools, which might just be the difference between winning and losing this time around.

The only game I've got for my 360 is Forza 2, and graphics wise it's not even in the same zip code as the Gran Tourismo HD demo, which looks UNBELIEVABLY good. Ported games I've seen (games that are released on both consoles) tend to look virtually identical but more often with a slight advantage to the 360.
June 21, 2007 4:57:17 AM

Ok, here's the deal pickle: It doesn't matter if the signal is analog or digital in regards to 1080p. Believe it or not, the component cable CAN do the same resolutions as a VGA cable. However, the actual TV is the determining factor in this matter. TV manufacturers decide if 1080p will be output through component or not. The cables have no "bandwidth" issues and without a doubt can do it. The VGA cable can do it of course and TV manufacturers enable some TV's to output 1080p via the VGA cable. I don't feel like finding the link for this information that I read from a guy who is the ultimate authority in the matter. I was curious about the same thing whenever I realized my 360 all of a sudden had an option for 1080p. Here is the real question: Why do you need an HDMI cable if the HD DVD player connects to your 360 with a USB 2.0 cable, let's say you have an elite, and is then connected via HDMI to your TV? Why not have USB for video on your TV. It's kickin my ass over here. And don't say Tokens or HDCP, because it still passes it through the USB. I think when I was looking for my answers it typed in google "can component carry 1080p" and stumbled around for an hour reading different stuff. Giver a try.
!