Susan

All my e-mail attachments on outlook express are coming in greyed out!. Is there something I need to reset or could it be an option from my McAfee Anti-virus software.

DantheMan

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004

Hi Susan

There is an option in Outlook Express you need to look at, In Outlook express click tools on the file menu and then options.

Click the security tab and uncheck the option 'Do not allow attachmnets to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus'

Then try again.

Regards
Dan

"susan" wrote:

> All my e-mail attachments on outlook express are coming in greyed out!. Is there something I need to reset or could it be an option from my McAfee Anti-virus software.

Hi

Open OE and then go to Tools>Options>Security and uncheck 'Do not allow attachments to be saved...'. If you chose this option, please make sure that you virus-check all attachments before opening them - including ones that you think are 'safe'.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

susan wrote:
> All my e-mail attachments on outlook express are coming in greyed
> out!. Is there something I need to reset or could it be an option
> from my McAfee Anti-virus software.

Read more about this (and how long it has been around) here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329570

It also explains ways to turn off the security feature.

You can either turn off this protection
(not recommended without OTHER protection.):

In Outlook Express, under Tools->Options go to the Security tab and take the
checkmark out of the "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that
could potentially be a virus" box.

Or work around it
(more difficult, but safer, allows you to be more careful about what you
open.):

Open an email containing the attachments that Outlook Express is blocking
access to. The 'OE removed access...' message will be shown as before.
Click the 'Forward' button (as if you are going to forward the email to
another person)

A new message window should open, with the message ready for forwarding.
This is where you would normally enter some new email addresses to which you
would wish to forward the message. (We are not actually going to forward it)

What it also does, at least in cases I have seen, is to show the
attachments, between the 'Subject' line and the 'Message area'.
You should be able to double-click on an attachment and it will give you
the option of opening it, or saving it.

There should also be a check box which says something like: 'Always ask
before opening this type of file'. The checkbox will be ticked.

Do the following: Select 'Open it' and also
(THIS BIT IS THE IMPORTANT STEP!) Un-tick the 'Always ask...' checkbox.
The attached document should now open.

And finally, if the above all worked, and you performed the steps for
opening the attachment, you should now find that if you close and
re-open the email that was causing problems before, you should now be
able to see the attachments!

(I believe that it is the "Always ask" setting that OE uses to determine
whether a particular attachment type should be treated as 'harmful')

It is NOT recommended to use the above steps for accessing executable
attachments, and ALWAYS make sure you have an up-to-date virus checker!

Good Luck!

--
<- Shenan ->