kamo

Distinguished
May 3, 2002
I have a7v333 with Windows XP; It was constantly restarting, then I noticed that the restarts are in fact blue screen of death (bsod) (XP has an option to restart the computer instead of showing blue screen - not very smart). After a week of testing and replacing parts it turns out that the memory is the reason of my bsods (although I test it twice with memtest98).
I've read that A7V333 provides higher voltage to the ddr memory by default and you need to remove the JP1 caps to fix the things. Could the m/b burned my ram?

:wink: <font color=green> The second time is always better than the first :wink: </font color=green>

Yeti

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
At default the A7V333 has J1 and J2 set to slightly over-voltage the memory. It shouldn't harm it though. Might decrease lifespan from 10 years to 9 or something like that... but computers are obsolete in months anyway :)

More likely you had a bad stick of memory from the start, or something in your settings are too aggressive. What are you running at? Turbo on and memory timings of 2.5:3:3? Or 2:3:3? Or 2:2:2? Are you sure your memory is rated for whatever latencies you have it set for? Is the FSB OCed?

kamo

Distinguished
May 3, 2002
The memory settings are the default one (don't remember them :)). I hate the idea of ram being bad from the begining - now the the warranty is absolute and the ram is expensive :(, but I guess you right;
I'll change the subject not to frighten the people :)

:wink: <font color=green> The second time is always better than the first :wink: </font color=green>