the internet explorer 6 virus-URGENT

Wan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004

for nearly 2 weeks i have been unable to get into the internet. i sought the technical assistance from my isp and unfortunately i received little help. I changed my ethernet card, and still the problem existed. for the life of me i could find out what was going on. until this morning at work, I brought up microsoft.com and discovered that there is a virus within internet explore 6. so i immediately started to download all the security updates affecting windows xp onto a cd. so my question is this, presently my browser has been serverely infected with this bug. when i click my internet explorer icon on my desktop all i get is the "page is unavailable" or within the title bar "cannot find server." when i download all these security updates will they resolve my browser problem. or is it simply too late for anything to me done. please

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:06:02 -0700, Wan <wanderful@discussions. microsoft.com>
wrote:

A computer virus is just that same as any human virus. If you don't kill the
virus, you can pour all the stuff you want on it and it'll keep on infecting.
You have to kill remove the problem 1st then install the inoculation to prevent
it from coming back.

use ad aware and a good virus program.

>for nearly 2 weeks i have been unable to get into the internet. i sought the technical assistance from my isp and unfortunately i received little help. I changed my ethernet card, and still the problem existed. for the life of me i could find out what was going on. until this morning at work, I brought up microsoft.com and discovered that there is a virus within internet explore 6. so i immediately started to download all the security updates affecting windows xp onto a cd. so my question is this, presently my browser has been serverely infected with this bug. when i click my internet explorer icon on my desktop all i get is the "page is unavailable" or within the title bar "cannot find server." when i download all these security updates will they resolve my browser problem. or is it simply too late for anything to me done. please

Wan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004

husky, as a matter of fact, i did. i ran ad-ware 6 and spyhunter. both located a number of virus. before i left for work i ran norton antivirus. do you think i need to run all three again

"Husky" wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:06:02 -0700, Wan <wanderful@discussions. microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> A computer virus is just that same as any human virus. If you don't kill the
> virus, you can pour all the stuff you want on it and it'll keep on infecting.
> You have to kill remove the problem 1st then install the inoculation to prevent
> it from coming back.
>
> use ad aware and a good virus program.
>
> >for nearly 2 weeks i have been unable to get into the internet. i sought the technical assistance from my isp and unfortunately i received little help. I changed my ethernet card, and still the problem existed. for the life of me i could find out what was going on. until this morning at work, I brought up microsoft.com and discovered that there is a virus within internet explore 6. so i immediately started to download all the security updates affecting windows xp onto a cd. so my question is this, presently my browser has been serverely infected with this bug. when i click my internet explorer icon on my desktop all i get is the "page is unavailable" or within the title bar "cannot find server." when i download all these security updates will they resolve my browser problem. or is it simply too late for anything to me done. please
>
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

> husky, as a matter of fact, i did. i ran ad-ware 6 and spyhunter. both located a >number of virus. before i left for work i ran norton antivirus. do you think i need >to run all three again
<snipped>
Ad-aware and spy hunter will not detect let alone get rid of any virus'. They will however search for and get rid of spy/adware. Which you need to do regularly anyway, NAV will sort out any virus you have but non of these are any good if they are not kepy up to date.
Here are a variety of online scanners and spyware programs you can try:

Virus Scanning:

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger
http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

Spyware Cleaners:

Cwshredder http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip
Spybot Search and Destroy http://www.safer-networking.org
Ad-aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com
Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner 1.12
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10247783.html
Spywareblaster www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html
HijackThis http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155

It's not a good idea to run two AV progs on one computer but you can run as many adware/spyware hunter/killer progs as you like. Personally I have Norton AV, Spybot-SD, Spyware Blaster,Cwshredder and Hijack This. I also use a good firewall in ZoneAlarm. I can't emphasise enough, you have to keep any security measures you use right up to date. Don't forget to check for Windows updates regularly too.
Happy hunting and good luck,
J.J.

"Wan" wrote:

> husky, as a matter of fact, i did. i ran ad-ware 6 and spyhunter. both located a number of virus. before i left for work i ran norton antivirus. do you think i need to run all three again
>
> "Husky" wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:06:02 -0700, Wan <wanderful@discussions. microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > A computer virus is just that same as any human virus. If you don't kill the
> > virus, you can pour all the stuff you want on it and it'll keep on infecting.
> > You have to kill remove the problem 1st then install the inoculation to prevent
> > it from coming back.
> >
> > use ad aware and a good virus program.
> >
> > >for nearly 2 weeks i have been unable to get into the internet. i sought the technical assistance from my isp and unfortunately i received little help. I changed my ethernet card, and still the problem existed. for the life of me i could find out what was going on. until this morning at work, I brought up microsoft.com and discovered that there is a virus within internet explore 6. so i immediately started to download all the security updates affecting windows xp onto a cd. so my question is this, presently my browser has been serverely infected with this bug. when i click my internet explorer icon on my desktop all i get is the "page is unavailable" or within the title bar "cannot find server." when i download all these security updates will they resolve my browser problem. or is it simply too late for anything to me done. please
> >
> > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:38:03 -0700, Wan <wanderful@discussions. microsoft.com>
wrote:

I've been running ad aware and trend nonstop every day for the past three days.
What do you think ? I've had to go in by hand and search thru the registry to
remove real nasty stuff like weatherbug.

If you still have a problem then maybe it's XP that's the virus. Not real sure
what you mean about a virus 'within' Internet explorer 6.
If your virus program id's a virus as Internet explorer 6, then I'd say
uninstall it. then reboot, and rescan to make sure you caught everything.
As a final resort go to the 'restore from a point' option. I just setup my 1st
restore point, so don't quote me as this being a reliable option. I'm just
parroting the M$ Speak I found in the helps.

then reinstall ie from the XP disk.
I've found stuff so well hidden that removing their exe's and the folder
they're in wasn't enough. Somehow the folders and exes resurrected.

The hackers never stop, why should you ?