Purchase?

Why would I not want to buy an OEM version of XP Pro? It
sure is a lot cheaper. I think I found something
about "not getting tech support" - does that mean that I
couldn't download Windows updates? Or just can't use
their help desk.

Yes, Windows Updates work with an OEM version.

OEM versions of Windows XP:

-- cannot upgrade over an existing Windows installation
-- cannot be transferred to a different computer in the future
-- the license cannot be sold or transferred to another user
-- are not eligible for free Microsoft technical support
-- must be purchased with some type of computer hardware
-- any problems whatsoever with the installation CD or Product Key
is not eligible for Microsoft support....you have to deal with the "seller".
-- cost less than "retail versions" due to the above limitations/risks

Should you purchase an OEM license version of XP?
http://www.tek-tips.com/gfaqs.cfm/pid/779/fid/4004

I would suggest purchasing a "Retail Version" of Windows XP
if you desire Microsoft support and plan on upgrading over an
existing Windows 98 or ME installation, and perhaps upgrading
your PC's hardware in the future.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Jonathan Lamb" <lamb@covenant.edu> wrote in message:

| Why would I not want to buy an OEM version of XP Pro? It
| sure is a lot cheaper. I think I found something
| about "not getting tech support" - does that mean that I
| couldn't download Windows updates? Or just can't use
| their help desk.

OEM versions (Original Equiment Manufacturer) are ones that are preinstalled on a machine that you purchase. They don't come with any technical support from Microsoft (but who uses them anyway?) and they don't come with manuals. Depending on the manufacturer the system may come with a recovery disk that is simply a copy of XP from their volume license. Others come with hidden partitions but this is a poor and unreliable method for recovering. OEM=less expensive. The decision is yours. {:~)
--
There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.

Greetings --

There are some very important reasons that an OEM license costs so
much less than a retail license. OEM licenses are very limited:

1) OEM versions must be sold with a piece of hardware (normally
a motherboard or hard drive, if not an entire PC, although Microsoft
has greatly relaxed the hardware criteria for WinXP) and are
_permanently_ bound to the first PC on which they are installed. An
OEM license, once installed, is not legally transferable to another
computer under any circumstances. This is the main reason some people
avoid OEM versions; if the PC dies or is otherwise disposed of (even
stolen), you cannot re-use your OEM license on a new PC. The only
legitimate way to transfer the ownership of an OEM license is to
transfer ownership of the entire PC.

2) Microsoft provides no free support for OEM versions. If you
have any problems that require outside assistance, your only recourse
is to contact the manufacturer/builder of the PC or the vendor of the
OEM license. This would include such issues as lost a Product Key or
replacing damaged installation media. (Microsoft does make allowances
for those instances when you can prove that the OEM has gone out of
business.) This doesn't mean that you can't download patches and
service packs from Microsoft -- just no free telephone or email
support for problems with the OS.

3) An OEM CD cannot be used to perform an upgrade of an earlier
OS, as it was designed to be installed _only_ upon an empty hard
drive. It can still be used to perform a repair installation (a.k.a.
an in-place upgrade) of an existing WinXP installation.

4) If the OEM CD was designed by a specific manufacturer, such as
eMachines, Sony, Dell, Gateway, etc., it will most likely only install
on the same brand of PC, as an additional anti-piracy feature.
Further, such CDs are severely customized to contain only the minimum
of device drivers, and a lot of extra nonsense, that the manufacturer
feels necessary for the specific model of PC for which the CD was
designed. (To be honest, such CDs should _not_ be available on the
open market; but, if you're shopping someplace like eBay, swap meets,
or computer fairs, there's often no telling what you're buying until
it's too late.) The "generic" OEM CDs, such as are manufactured by
Microsoft and sold to small systems builders, don't have this
particular problem, though, and are pretty much the same as their
retail counterparts, apart from the licensing, support, and upgrading
restrictions.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Jonathan Lamb" <lamb@covenant.edu> wrote in message
> Why would I not want to buy an OEM version of XP Pro? It
> sure is a lot cheaper. I think I found something
> about "not getting tech support" - does that mean that I
> couldn't download Windows updates? Or just can't use
> their help desk.

OEM don't come with manuals? Microsoft hasn't shipped a manual with its
software, retail or otherwise, in years.

steve