Sign in with
Your question

Is Halo Over rated?

Last response: in Video Games
March 29, 2007 6:19:52 PM

Everyone talks about how amazing Halo is, but I disagree. First of all it's on a console so you have to use a control which makes in terrible already, but this does make it harder since you have an awful control scheme and almost makes it interesting. Well I grabbed it for the PC when it came out way to late, just to see how it would fare against all of the amazing First Person Shooters that are on PC, and it is boring and the same thing over and over again. Everyone keeps saying how great it is, can someone please tell me what is so great about it cause i don't get it.

More about : halo rated

March 29, 2007 8:23:55 PM

Quote:
Everyone talks about how amazing Halo is, but I disagree. First of all it's on a console so you have to use a control which makes in terrible already, but this does make it harder since you have an awful control scheme and almost makes it interesting. Well I grabbed it for the PC when it came out way to late, just to see how it would fare against all of the amazing First Person Shooters that are on PC, and it is boring and the same thing over and over again. Everyone keeps saying how great it is, can someone please tell me what is so great about it cause i don't get it.

Halo for the original Xbox was awesome. Great story, great feel, use of vehicles, NPC teammates...

However, comparing it to current PC games is no comparison...
March 29, 2007 8:41:51 PM

Did you just wake up from a coma? How long did it take you to think up that question
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 29, 2007 10:45:03 PM

OK this is supposed to be a discussion not how can I think I'm tough by trying to make fun of someone over the internet and it may seem a little late but I've been hearing alot of hype about the whole series with the 3rd installment approaching.
March 30, 2007 1:45:57 AM

Quote:
Everyone talks about how amazing Halo is, but I disagree.

Fair enough. So do I...

Quote:
First of all it's on a console so you have to use a control which makes in terrible already...

Careful now, you're in the console gaming section.

Quote:
...but this does make it harder since you have an awful control scheme and almost makes it interesting.

:? Don't follow you there.

Quote:
Well I grabbed it for the PC when it came out way to late, just to see how it would fare against all of the amazing First Person Shooters that are on PC...

:roll: You would be better off to compare it to all the "amazing" FPSs on consoles.

Quote:
...and it is boring and the same thing over and over again. Everyone keeps saying how great it is, can someone please tell me what is so great about it cause i don't get it.

I agree, it's boring. But it has a clean presentation: not a lot of bugs; simple controls; large environments; crisp graphics; surround sound; etc. People also enjoy the multiplayer aspect. I don't, but many do. Also, Halo 2 isn't boring, in my opinion, and apparently the books aren't either.

Those combined aspects are part of the reason why people are excited about Halo 3. But then, you already knew that, right?
March 30, 2007 1:53:06 AM

I'm sorry you think you're being made fun of, but your question seems to be onesided, at best. I mean, you are in console gaming, and the 2nd statement you make is:
Quote:
"First of all it's on a console so you have to use a control which makes in terrible already, but this does make it harder since you have an awful control scheme and almost makes it interesting."
And yet you wonder why someone would make fun of your question? Have you tried the console version?

But anyway...

Most FPS are boring after playing them a lot. You know what's coming, and you anticipate it. Take F.E.A.R. for the PC. It was awesome the first time through, and even when you cranked on the difficulty, but it would get boring playing it day after day. Same with any game. But you are comparing the Halo PC version vs. the Halo console, and believe me, it's no contest. Halo for the PC was a terrible port. Period. There's no other reason.

Try looking at games that were released both on consoles and PCs, or closely released, like Rainbow Six Vegas. Both games looked incredible, and were fun to play. But even RSV would get boring after playing it multiple times.

You can ask yourself, why do people still play Counter-Strike? It's the same maps, over and over...it's because CS was based mostly for online play, against other people, and not a programmed A.I. Try playing Halo online, or at a LAN. It's not bad (for a terrible port).

So, just because you found the PC version of Halo boring, don't start comparing it with the console version, cause they aren't the same game, really. The XBOX Halo was fun, but multiplayer Halo is very fun. Again, not a slam against you, because you didn't get into the Halo circle, not everyone thought it was a great game.
March 30, 2007 6:25:08 PM

I'm not talking about the PC Port which I have played but I'm talking about the console version which I say are initially flawed because using a game pad in any way in a shooter is awful compared to the control scheme of a PC with mouse and keyboard. But what I'm saying is what Halo and Halo 2 did was nothing new or exciting and it didn't do anything really that well. People keep raving about the multiplayer because you can network several Xbox's together, but I'm sorry I had been doing that with PC's for years. So what I'm saying is I think that both Halo's are ok but they don't deserve half of the attention and good rating they have, so I still don't get it can someone please help me out because it doesn't make any sense.
March 31, 2007 4:38:06 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about the PC Port which I have played but I'm talking about the console version which I say are initially flawed because using a game pad in any way in a shooter is awful compared to the control scheme of a PC with mouse and keyboard. But what I'm saying is what Halo and Halo 2 did was nothing new or exciting and it didn't do anything really that well. People keep raving about the multiplayer because you can network several Xbox's together, but I'm sorry I had been doing that with PC's for years. So what I'm saying is I think that both Halo's are ok but they don't deserve half of the attention and good rating they have, so I still don't get it can someone please help me out because it doesn't make any sense.

Again, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Just because you think the controller is a flaw, some think it made FPS type games easier. Yes, you can point out all the goodness of keyboard/mouse, but if it was so good, why are there so many alternatives, and different type of keyboard accessories for PC gaming? IF the keyboard/mouse was so inherently better, there should be no need for improvement, yet there are.

Also, console multiplayer is again a different comparasion. No longer did you need to lug a computer system, monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables, etc to play your friend. You could bring a controller and the game, or another console, and tada! Again, console mutliplayer is gaining momentum, some events even surpassing some LAN events.

The attention and ratings are just a person's opinion. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy into it. It's that simple. Some people love the game, like I'm sure you have games you love to play. Just cause it's getting a lot of hype, doesn't mean it's a bad product (ie. Diakatana), it's just that people who loved the first 2 Halo games, are pumped for Halo 3. It's like the PC guy who was creaming when they heard Half-Life 2 was coming, or Doom3, or even Unreal Tournament 2xxx.

t's just a game, not a way of life.
March 31, 2007 6:20:32 PM

ok we all know that anyone that has just some skill in the FPS department with a keyboard and mouse will completely rape anyone using a game pad, making keyboard and mouse the best, and anyone who says otherwise just hasn't really used both. Now I understand that some people just like it or whatever but no one has been able to tell me anything specific that has made it so great which is why I still don't get it.
April 2, 2007 1:26:58 PM

Quote:
ok we all know that anyone that has just some skill in the FPS department with a keyboard and mouse will completely rape anyone using a game pad, making keyboard and mouse the best, and anyone who says otherwise just hasn't really used both. Now I understand that some people just like it or whatever but no one has been able to tell me anything specific that has made it so great which is why I still don't get it.

Sounds to me like someone who is stinking at the game.

Yep, with a joystick you can't do a 360 instanteously... you have to be a smarter player. You have to know the situation and the character's LIMITATIONS... and adjust accordingly.

I guess your skills are just limited to one style of play (mouse and keyboard)... so find games for that style if you can't handle a game like Halo.

Question... is it other humans or the AI that's owning u? :roll:
April 2, 2007 5:09:55 PM

ok like I said I don't like insults when I'm asking an honest question, and I do alright with a gamepad but it's flawed, it's just not as precise as a keyboard and mouse. I know that if I was playing a game with keyboard and mouse against someone using a gamepad unless they were quite the amazing player they would lose.
April 2, 2007 5:37:10 PM

Quote:
ok like I said I don't like insults when I'm asking an honest question, and I do alright with a gamepad but it's flawed, it's just not as precise as a keyboard and mouse. I know that if I was playing a game with keyboard and mouse against someone using a gamepad unless they were quite the amazing player they would lose.

This game was designed exclusively for the XBOX... it is the best console shooter I've played (adjusting for technology). It was not designed for the PC (mouse and keyboard).

That being said, go to some xbox halo tourney's... people can be highly accurate with a gamepad. Would those same people be even better with a mouse? Probably, but the game is still very enjoyable with a gamepad. Consoles were not developed to support mouse and keyboard.
April 16, 2007 12:05:46 AM

I agree that the Halo games are somewhat overrated. While I liked the first Halo on the Xbox, I didn't get the same feeling with Halo 2. I was actually bored with Halo 2 after the third mission, and couldn't bring myself to finish the game. Perhaps I will give Halo 2 another try when it comes to the PC.
April 17, 2007 2:13:07 PM

Quote:
I agree that the Halo games are somewhat overrated. While I liked the first Halo on the Xbox, I didn't get the same feeling with Halo 2. I was actually bored with Halo 2 after the third mission, and couldn't bring myself to finish the game. Perhaps I will give Halo 2 another try when it comes to the PC.

I'm only defending the original Halo... for its time AND platform... an awesome game. Must have played it 100hrs +
June 26, 2007 2:17:29 AM

The Halo series is without doubt the one of the best FPS console series. Everyone knows the name. From its humble beginning on the xbox it has kept a massive fan base. It is the only game i can sit down and play co-op all night with a good mate, from beginning to end the story line kept me enthralled. Even the original Halo had an amazing AI system, nothing beats chucking a sticky grenade on a little grunt and watching him run to his allies and blowing them all sky high. And with the release of xbox live and Halo 2 the multi player aspect came into full ball, 2 teams of 16 riding into an enemy compound on warthogs gives every player a massive adrenaline rush that only a great game can produce.

However this is coming from a real fan of the entire series so my opinion may be biased, but i hope by explaining some of the key points of my enjoyment i could perhaps persuade you to re consider your opinion on a series that will definitely stand the test of time and will definetly keep me coming back for more.
June 26, 2007 7:54:09 AM

I too would have to side with Halo being one of the all-time best FPS shooters (regardless of platform)

I will try to elaborate what I liked about when I initially played it. Please bear in mind I too prefer a keyboard and mouse and have been a PC FPS player since Wolf3D...I will also go ahead and note that all of the following statements are merely my opinions (some educated, some preference).

Firstly, when I first saw Halo, it was using graphical effects that were scarcely implemented well even on PC. Bump-mapping was in effect and looked great. Particle effects and overall texture variety was high and gave Halo a different and polished look. The overall presentation of Halo was fantastic and still looks good to this day IMO. Also, the game kept an incredibly stable framerate regardless of the absurd amount of enemies on the screen.

Secondly, the story in Halo I found highly engaging, well-written and of a generally higher level than most video games (and better than most Sci-Fi material of other genres too). Taken in and of itself, regardless of the game's graphics and gameplay mechanics would have made the game enjoyable.

Thirdly, gameplay mechanics were and are still top tier. Certainly, Halo was not the first FPS to implement melee combat, but it was the first to do so and have it feel seamless and natural to use (ie: not a gimmick). In fact, that one element of gameplay is one of the reasons multiplayer is so enjoyable in Halo. Melee has only since been implemented as well in Dark Messiah and Oblivion to date. Aside from melee, the limitation of two weapon types gave the game a hint of realism and strategy that was not really present in other FPSs of the time (notice FEAR used this kind of intentional limitation as well). Grenade usage was also well implemented. Previous FPS titles had you switch to Grenades to use them, and doing so generally broke the pace of the gameplay. In Halo, throwing a grenade is so natural that new strategies become relevant. Vehicular combat is still one of the shining points in Halo. All the vehicles were a blast to play with and offered some exciting strategies themselves. Last on this point is that the game is incredibly difficult on Legendary (especially playing Co-op). However, the difficulty was never unrealistic, in fact it only added to the feel of the realism in the gameplay. Enemies were not super-powered, just responded ever more like intelligent opponents.

Fourth, AI was absolutely unparalleled in Halo at the time. It has only recently been supplanted by FEAR (and perhaps some of the latter Rainbow Six titles though I can't say from personal experience). The Covenant acted as cohesive units and would outflank, send sorties (and point men) and surround you. The flood just overwhelmed you with sheer number and strength (as they should be given that they are mindless drones). Given the two enemy archetypes, Halo was the first FPS to blend strategic combat versus sheer adrenaline-pumping run and gun action.

Fifth, multiplayer, multiplayer, multiplayer. I really can't say what it is about Halo multiplayer that makes it so addictive and fun... Perhaps it has to do with the fact that you can see your opponents screen. This adds a different element to the combat, being able to know what your opponents are doing. Strategies change and become more involved as a result. Secondly, your controller limitation causes some degree of specialization in different weapons (a high sensitivity is not conducive to sniping, and low sensitivity makes you too slow in turning to effective battle close range. I'm not sure what they screwed up on the PC port, but they didn't quite get the response of the controls right. The maps were varied and well planned and lent itself well to the fast paced duels. Of course the addition of sitting with your buds, drinking some brews and talking smack always helps push the fun factor. Teamspeak will never be able to deliver that kinda of mood (of course not being to turn around and punch one of your friends might be one of the reasons why :) . Of course I can not neglect to mention that Co-op mode made the single player game immensely enjoyable.

I've seen plenty of criticism for Halo, but really not until after the shoddy PC port was released and PC-exclusive FPSr's started playing it. I can understand some of the criticisms. I myself had a hard time playing Halo 2 after playing some of the newer PC FPSs because of the controller. Some of the other criticisms I've seen were based on the level design. Some found it repetitive... which is really the case with all FPS in certain areas. What makes a game still enjoyable to play is the overall gameplay and combat was exciting enough in Halo to make it fun to play over and over.

Apologies for the over-long post, but initially the post asked for specifics, so there you go.

Just as a follow-up, I still haven't beat Halo 2 (the controller got to me too). I'm hoping the PC port is better this time around.
June 26, 2007 8:16:41 AM

Just talking from my point of view, but I found halo when it first came out for the PC to be rather bland after a while. About half way through it stops being enjoyable and new to just being boring and repetitive. Halo 2 became the same way after a little while too, that part on the conveyor belt platform was very poorly designed and actually stopped me playing for a while.

Lets face it here, the only difference bar the bump mapping effects Halo had when it came out to any other FPS at the time was that instead of carrying as many guns as you wanted you could only carry two. Grenades where a little cool in the way they could stick to things, but then that had been done before too. Basically I think that as far as games go it was nothing special but as far as FPS games on consoles went it was platform busting.

I still enjoyed the original Medal of Honour on the PSX more though.
June 26, 2007 8:50:51 AM

Hmm, I think the difference between "its been done before" and "done well" are two different things. Until Half Life 2, I still hadn't seen another FPS actually pull of vehicles well.

MOH on PSX was fun for its time, but was more limited than comparative PC games of the time. That's the real difference between Halo and other FPS games on consoles; Halo is the only console game to push the FPS genre beyond what was even available on PCs at the time.

Also, you played Halo on the PC. Halo on the PC (or MAC) was a horrible port that really destroyed a lot of the fluidity of the gameplay. Its really quite ridiculous, as you have a much higher resolution input device, yet turning in Halo on PC felt ridiculously slow. The pacing of movement was also changed and felt slow. The framerate was unsteady and much lower than it should have been (and I ran it on powerhouse equipment at the time it was released). All of this really killed a lot of the enjoyment that there was to be had in the game.

Regarding what Halo added to the genre as a whole...I will restate simply:
AI, controllable vehicles, co-op mode, gameplay advances. Advancing the genre is not only about being an originator. Making a good idea work is really what propels things farther than coming up with a good idea that's not been done. Now if you can do both, all the better.

And really, its harder to understand how much Halo brought to the genre if you first played it on PC, because PC games had a good two years to implement some of the advances from Halo in the time it took Halo to make it to PC.
June 26, 2007 4:17:12 PM

Personally I think Halo is a great game I like the story and character and it is fun getting friends together for LAN matches.

I don't really think that the control is a problem, and I think that control preference is far to subjective to declare one style better then the other. I use the controller for consol games and the keyboard and mouse for PC, and while I now like the keyboard mouse style for PC it was hard to learn at first having used only the keyboard or a controller until HalfLife1 forced me to learn the new style. most of my friends who don't play as many PC games as me still find the keyboard mouse style hard to use. I think it's all a matter of which one you think works best for you.
June 26, 2007 6:47:20 PM

I too belong to the group that quickly got bored playing Halo on the xbox. But my personal gaming preferences are subjective, as are everyone's, so what makes a good game for one person is not what makes a good game for another. For example, I personally love FPS's (Mostly PC due to the controls, but console as well if really good like Gears on 360), but hate WWII FPS's - they are too "bland", too boring, too "ordinary", the enemies are all the same (human), etc. But I do enjoy FPS's like Painkiller or Quake with giant bosses and huge elaborate levels.

I too wondered what it is about Halo that really bores me. Personally I thought the levels were too repetitive in the sense of being repetitive within the same level (not in the sense of being reused, as there is a big variety of levels and locations), and the levels themselves seemed really long with the same kinds of hallways etc over and over. The variety of enemies was pretty small, after having seen them all, seeing the same enemies again and again got old pretty quick. And perhaps the most important thing, I just didn't get that "feeling" during Halo that makes me love a game, that clenches it.

You know the one, a certain inexplicable "affinity" for the game that makes it seem more likeable and less "foreign" in a certain sense. I got that feeling when playing Super Mario 64, Half Life 2, Total Annihilation, Quake Team Fortress, and many many other games on both consoles and PC. It's sort of the feeling you get when you come home vs going to a home of someone you don't know. They might have a much nicer house but you don't feel quite "at home", you don't feel as comfortable there. And I guess really there is no single quality a game must have to guarantee that feeling that makes you fall in love with it, it's something that makes a game greater than the sum of its parts.

Somehow that "feeling" does not happen in most new games for me, except for an occasional gem that you inexplicably cannot stop playing. It's like recent games are devoid of "soul", they are great and have so many "qualities" going for them in many ways, but something is missing, something that older games used to have that made them more than the sum of their parts. Whatever it is, I want it back, and I'm sure most people know what I mean, and want it back too.

Btw I mentioned that I enjoyed Gears for 360 above, but that too was somehow devoid of "soul" - it was just a great game, but once I was done with it, I didn't care for it anymore. It was just good enough to get through it till the end, just to see what happens.

And frankly, that whole "soul" aspect of games, you can say the same thing for movies - older movies vs those made in last couple of years. Something is missing, something big, and it's hard to put your finger on what it is, but if it's not there, it just feels empty - shiny, well-executed, great acting, but somehow empty.
June 27, 2007 1:31:18 PM

Quote:
You know the one, a certain inexplicable "affinity" for the game that makes it seem more likeable and less "foreign" in a certain sense. I got that feeling when playing Super Mario 64, Half Life 2, Total Annihilation, Quake Team Fortress, and many many other games on both consoles and PC. It's sort of the feeling you get when you come home vs going to a home of someone you don't know. They might have a much nicer house but you don't feel quite "at home", you don't feel as comfortable there. And I guess really there is no single quality a game must have to guarantee that feeling that makes you fall in love with it, it's something that makes a game greater than the sum of its parts.

Somehow that "feeling" does not happen in most new games for me, except for an occasional gem that you inexplicably cannot stop playing. It's like recent games are devoid of "soul", they are great and have so many "qualities" going for them in many ways, but something is missing, something that older games used to have that made them more than the sum of their parts. Whatever it is, I want it back, and I'm sure most people know what I mean, and want it back too.

Couldn't say it better myself I know exactly what you mean, most new games/movies even though some might be good are missing somthing, some indefinable quality that makes them great games that don't get old.
June 27, 2007 2:10:28 PM

That’s right, games that are truly good are good no matter when you play them or how old they are at that point. Final Fantasy 7 is a good game in this respect, there are still many people playing this game even today. It’s what could be known as a timeless classic.
August 3, 2007 9:03:49 PM

Halo is the best FSP i have ever played i feel. I was at first sceptical about the whole thing (and didnt even like FPS in general), but after playing a demo with my friend i was HOOKED. The story was incredible, the levels were perfectly balanced (i feel) with enough excitement in some places, and then slower, less frantic areas all keeping it flowing.

The multiplayer is the ONLY game where i can still go back and enjoy playing it against people, it just has a certain THING that makes it so special, theres nothing like entering a futuristic library armed with a shotgun and a friend taking on whordes of flood and alien. It has so many levels, stealth, vehicles, shotgun pumping zombies, aliens, team mates etc. and the fine details with the books, plot lines that you wouldnt even know about just playing the game..its just INCREDIBLE

Thats how i feel, probably less grammatically correct than i first intended. :D 
September 24, 2007 8:14:01 AM

Halo for the original Xbox was to come to the pc first but Microsoft got it and made xbox only.(and i got a 360 4 halo only)
September 24, 2007 12:41:22 PM

gjdixon said:
:pt1cable:  Halo for :pt1cable:  the original Xbox :pt1cable:  was to come to :pt1cable:  the pc first but Microsoft :pt1cable:  got it and made :pt1cable:  xbox only.(and i got :pt1cable:  a 360 4 halo :pt1cable:  only) :pt1cable: 
Eh? Oh Halo 3 got 10/10 at http://www.eurogamer.net I trust there reviews so this game might be worth a look unless the review was writen by a console junky.
September 24, 2007 6:54:34 PM

I found Halo extraordinarily dull and uninspiring after all i'd heard about it from press and friends alike when I played it a few years back on the Xbox. In fact I really was confused. Was I missing something? More than any other game I have ever played I really couldn't begin to equate the glowing reviews with the experience I had. Dull and repetitive.

I have to say Oblivion was a bit of a let down too. Loved Morrowind but after you get past the great graphics Oblivion was too easy and there was simply too much going on. Run for 1 minute and you would find a village/camp/cave. In Morrowind you really had to work for the reward. Anyhow i've moved off topic...
September 24, 2007 8:10:41 PM

Don't confuse over rated with over hyped.

With the fanboys and hype machine at maximum power, I will trust no rating but my own hands and eyes.

Also much of the reviews comment on having good online play. A novel thing on the console for it's time, but standard for the PC side.
September 26, 2007 11:28:08 AM

I used to be into PCs alot more, now I primarily use it for just reading the news and graphic design and other business purposes. The beauty of the console is that you will NEVER be obsolete in any way. If it says it's for XBOX 360, it will just work. If it says it's for PC you're like oh ****, are my components up to par? How much mroe money do I have t spend on more memory and a video card and maybe a new CPU. With that do I need a new motherboard? More drive space? Are there unforseen incompatibilities? (Yes, they do crazy things). Plus you have to install, if you lose your CD Key you're ****, or if it gets used too many times. The console is simple. It provides quite good graphics and gameplay at a price point well below that of a comparable gaming PC. Some people prefer a controller, others prefer a keyboard and mouse. I now prefer the pad over the mouse and keyboard. Not sure why exactly, but I do.

I'm not a HUGE Halo fan, but it was a good series. I'm not entirely sure what elements you thought could have improved it, but I think they did an excellent job. The multiplayer is outstanding.
October 5, 2007 2:10:03 PM

I didn't buy Halo3, but tried it out at a buddie's place. Seems pretty competent for a console FPS. The game is going to sell a TON of copies, probably becoming the highest grossing FPS on ANY platform. Hard to say it's overrated from a sales point of view.

Compared to PC shooters? I doesn't compare favorably, but then again - most Halo3 players have never played a PC shooter, so they don't understand the difference in control scheme, immersion, etc. If I'd never played a PC shooter I'd think that Halo 3 was pretty awesome.

So I guess the answer depends on your point of view, if you live in the console world (and lets face it... most gamers do) then Halo 3 is right up there with the best, so of course it's not overrated. If you live in marketing and sales land - Halo 3 is going to sell like CRAZY, so of course it's not overrated.

If you're one of the relatively few PC gamers out there with systems to run PC shooters at full glory... Halo 3 is going to be disappointing.

So for most of the people out there - H3 ftw.
October 5, 2007 2:30:36 PM

There are not enough 360’s around to make it the highest grossing FPS of all time, it will be the highest grossing FPS for the consoles though. Besides a lot of all this is just hype, hype breeds a lot of short-term sales. It does not however assure long-term sales. I think it might sell about 6 million copies, maybe if it gets out on the PC soon enough it might hit more.
October 5, 2007 9:12:16 PM

fast1marine said:

Think back to your first PC lan or the first time you played an FPS online on the PC. For me it was back around 1998 or so. I remember how awsome I thought it was and it was what got me hooked on PC's and is the reason I am on this site today. You must remember that PC gamers like us are a minority compared to the console crowd. If you walked up to someone in my old highschool 5 years ago and said hey are you a gamer they would have been like yea I have a ps2 and I play madden. Concoles are much simpler and cheaper to use. I still make the comment online on Halo 3 and say man I wish I had a mouse and keyboard and in every game I get the question..."why would you want that? It would be impossible to play an FPS with a mouse and keyboard." Most people relate video games with nintendo, playstation, and xbox. Not PC's.

Now back to my original statement/question. Do you remember your first experience of the multiplayer on the PC with a lan or online. Well for ALOT and I mean...A WHOLE LOT of people halo was the first real multiplayer experience on a console that was even relatively close to what it was on a PC for years before that. They recieved a small taste of what PC's offer only they didnt know it. They thought this was the first time it had been done and thus was the most amazing thing every made. There is no argument here and there is no other way to explain this. I promise you all I am right. For the majority of the people who love halo. They simply did not know about the PC gaming segment. So when you say that halo was nothing new and not innovative. Sure maybe for you it wasnt, but for about 5 million people it was and same goes for Xbox Live. Halo 2 was the first online game that many many people had the chance to experience. I know this is a sad fact, but it is fact none the less. Hope this helps.

Best,

3Ball
October 5, 2007 11:02:02 PM

My first FPS experence was wolfeinstein 3d. Awesome game. Crazy hitler in his mech suit. Anyway. I find halo extremely boring for an FPS. I've even tried it for PC and still found it boring. It just doesn't do it for me.

Halo story wise reminds me of doom 1. Same scenes, hell invading mars, ect blah blah.

First multiplayer FPS experence? doom 2 over a 33.6K modem. =) over 10 or so floppy disks.
October 6, 2007 10:59:17 PM

First Halo on Xbox was almost as good as GTA. Halo 2 was lame... Halo 3 is awesome I even wanna get a 360 just to play it. Please microsoft don't wait 485766372299484654728570239458730948.5 years before releasing it on pc.
October 7, 2007 3:46:51 PM

ok for all you halo haters out there, halo is best we have for console shooters as far as a solid campaign and good multiplayer go. PC fps games like Team Fortress 2 and Half Life 2 kick halos ass. But playing games like that on a console just doesnt feel right. Its like playing halo on a pc, it doesnt feel right. When i played the original halo on xbox i loved it, but several years later i still loved playing it on the xbox, but i tried out the pc version just to check it out, I hated it. It didnt control well, and the experience felt very anti-climactic compared to how the game feels on the xbox. So if you judge halo based solely on your pc experience then shame on you. Halo pc sucked, and im sure halo 2 for pc sucks too. Halo just wasnt meant to be played on a pc. Sure, halo is a bit overrated, but that doesnt make it a bad game. More people play consoles than PC's. They dont know what they are missing out on which makes halo the best fps they have. Yeah yeah orange box comes out soon for just about everything, but it just wont feel right playing it on a console. Games geared for pc dont work all that well on consoles and games geared for consoles dont work all that well for PCs.
EX. Orange box for pc but also on consles/ Halo and Gears on xbox but also on pc as a side thought. Not sure how gears will play on a pc, but i dont think it would feel right.
October 8, 2007 8:27:30 AM

Halo for the PC did feel right, but it just got boring after a few hours. I mean the flood, how much of the same thing can you keep doing before you get bored. It’s just the Console boys had no choice to keep playing. But once I got about two hours into the flood and felt like I had a bad case of dashavu I simply stopped playing, put the box to one side and played another game. Oh I think that other game was Battle Field 1942… Could have been Max Payne, still they where both better games.
October 15, 2007 6:17:24 PM

I like Battlefield 2142, there is tons to do... Everyone i know has a 360 and loves Halo. I tend to fine it hard to control and hit a target. I'm quicker with a mouse and even my cousin had to agree when I had him playing Far Cry on a PC. He liked it much better and easier to control.

Console games are more relaxed and you can play play them on a 52" Plasma with friends. PC games you are sitting at a desk in front a monitor by your lonesome. It is almost an atmosphere change.
October 15, 2007 7:40:25 PM

Well I think for a console game halo 3 is a pretty good game, but what makes me hate it with a vengence is the stupid fanboys!!!! i commented on a halo 3 video saying it didnt have that amazing graphics (after all i have seen the crysis beta running on full dx10) and i got flamed, called a noob etc That is what i hate. Not halo but what halo has spawned!!!!
November 28, 2007 3:09:19 PM

Yes, Halo has and always be overrated. I rather play Duke Nukem 3D. No joke, I am not being hyperbolic here. Halo is the root of all evil trend of dumbing down PC games as more and more games are becoming cross platform, especially FPS games. The "consolization" of what intended to be great PC games. Consolization is what I call the restriction, limiting and non-free flowing, forced-linearization.

Sorry, I blame Halo for making me think GoW consolized, COD4 consolized, Lost Planet consolized, Timeshift consolized, UT3 consolized, etc. The only new FPS game that still have not fallen for that is TF2, and maybe Crysis. Although Valve almost made that deadly mistake by forcing server caps. Long live 3rd Party!

Borrowing the great words of WoW wisdom, L2keyboardmouse.
December 16, 2007 1:55:37 AM

I faced a similar situation with Gears of War. Everyone says how cool it was with single player and mulitplayer, but i thought it was OK. Its just one of those things.
December 17, 2007 2:15:27 PM

I admit I havent read this entire thread.. but to reply to the original poster:

The only good thing that came from Halo was Redvs.Blue (the video series). The game itself is moot.
December 17, 2007 4:51:50 PM

Halo's alright for a console FPS game, and it did bring the gametype to the "masses". That being said, Halo pales in comparison to Half Life 2. HL2 has a much better storyline, much more interesting weapons, and with the modder community, tons of new things coming out for it all the time.

I do agree about the autoaim and large hitboxes being pretty weak on the console, but you're got to dummy controls down for them so that people can get a decent gaming experience with a gamepad. You don't have the precision that you do with a keyboard mouse.
December 17, 2007 9:16:01 PM

Halo: Combat Evolved - was a good release for its time.

Halo 2: Simple, people wanted more of the amazing Halo 1 game..but better. The game was ok.

Halo 3: I haven't tried it... but again, when compared to other shooters on consoles, the game looked pretty descent.
December 22, 2007 1:21:11 PM

I'm probably a bit biased and have a somewhat rose-tinted view of halo 1, since when i first played it on the xbox, i had just gotten off of a second hand n64 with goldeneye (man it was a new experience) but....
Halo 2 just seemed dull to me, i was bored within the first level, whereas halo 1 was awesome and i played through it many, many times (largely co-op, and frequently descending into team killing rampages)
December 23, 2007 8:06:38 AM

I would say yes, halo is over rated.
December 23, 2007 7:55:31 PM

fast1marine said:

Yes its been over rated since it came out as a clone of tribes and to this day is still a steaming pile of crap. sorry i find this game as dissapointing as oblivion got sucked in by all the hype and found out people are easy to entertain.
January 9, 2008 1:18:58 AM

People who try to down halo have yet to see the competitive side of it. I really couldn't give a flying crap about its story line or campaign. Its funny how the game is rated based off of that by 90% of people. Kids freak and obsess over the game for its crappy story line, and care little about multiplayer.

Halo on xbox live is where it shines. People who try halo, who come from PC games really havn't touched on this. (above posts talking about how 'good' splitscreen is.)

People who have played xbox live and dislike it who come from PC games have been blinded by the thousands of kids who play live to "pwnz0rz d3m n33b5".

Halo is one of the very few console games that actually has complex skill depth to it.

People who constantly play other games such as gears and ramble about halo's "suckiness", are utterly terrible at the game. A good halo player can go into a game like gears, and after a week can be as good as everyone else. Where as someone from a shallow skill game like gears tries to come to halo, and will get mopped 50 to 0 in a 1v1.

Those people make up the excuses that the game sucks and is over-rated for reasons like "its so unrealistic how he jumps 10 feet in the air!".

Halo has a skill depth to the point where there are professional MLG players who make millions playing HALO. (ie Walshy)

Many people hate it because they are unable to handle aiming, shooting, and timing grenades, jumps, shots, melees and movement at the same time; quite frankly, because they get killed by those who can. The only other game that really can be compared to halo as far as skill goes with fps would be shadowrun. Shadowrun is one of the other few that has the jump aspect, prolonged rewareds for better aim (as in it matters if you miss 1 headshot in a fight), and where the more skilled player can win a fight starting shooting later or starting with lower health.

Halo is overrated for the wrong reasons: its campaign and storyline. Its underrated for its multiplayer gameplay, skill depth, and competitive side.

I suggest to those who dislike halo because of the boring campaign and standard xbox live kiddies, to look into the competitive side and mlg part of halo.

EDIT: Also, I frequently play both console and pc games. I'm only comparing halo to other console games.
January 9, 2008 9:38:27 AM

i just hate it cuz it sux
January 9, 2008 10:23:36 AM

enforcer22 said:
i just hate it cuz it sux

If i just said "i just hate crysis cuz it sux!", I would be tore to shreds. For what reasons? How much of the game have you played? Have you even ever tried it? What are you comparing it to?

That is the same as some kid saying "the president sucks". When asked why, they say "because...", as they only go off of what they hear others say, and know nothing of their own reasons for that opinion.
January 9, 2008 10:25:14 AM

edit: srry for triple now (edit button is too close to quote)
January 9, 2008 10:25:55 AM

im a retard, i tried to edit the double post and made this....

why do quick edit buttons need to be right next to quote buttons when your too tired to even see?
!