second hand builtin XP

I've just bought a reconditioned 220 Emachine from my neighbour who can't
get on with it.
XP comes ready installed. How can I remove his name from the system and
insert mine?
TIA.
Am I legally entitled to use all the pre-installed software?
Silversurfer

If he sold you the machine with the OS already installed and gave you any disks and documents then you can use the machine as your own. Changing the registered owner is an easy registry tweak. go>start\run and type in regedt32 and hit ok. Now navigate the following route by clicking the + symbol beside the entries in this order. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion Now click on the CurrentVersion key to open it's sub-keys in the right panel. Now right click on RegosteredOwner and then click modify and then type in whatever you want. If this was also used by a registered organization then you may want to modify that as well while you are here. Usually RegisteredOrganization would simply read Home on a stand alone home machine. Have fun {:~)
--
There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.

If he gave you all the disks and transfered all the
licenses to you yes - if he kept the software and is
using it no.

line 7, right hand side

"mike gee" <mg015a4172@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've just bought a reconditioned 220 Emachine from my neighbour who can't
> get on with it.
> XP comes ready installed. How can I remove his name from the system and
> insert mine?
> TIA.
> Am I legally entitled to use all the pre-installed software?
> Silversurfer

If the computer came with all the software pre-installed - meaning it is OEM
software - then the software is tied to the computer. He sells the computer
he can not keep the software so yes it is yours. If the software is not OEM
then he has to give you all the disks before the software is yours. Doug
Knox has a little app that will enable you to make changes to the owner name
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp