Text Messaging to Asia?

Can Verizon exchange messages between the US and the following Asian
contries:?
Japan
Indonesia
Thailand
Philippines

Thanks!

I assume if you can email his/her phone, you can send him/her SMS

> I wanted to know whether Verizon is capable of true SMS exchange
with these
> countries similar to GSM phones (Cingular/T-Mobile). (All you enter
is 011,
> country code and the cel number. NOT e-mail)
>
> Thanks

I would try it with a friend and see. That is the best way to know. Or
you could visit the other persons Cellular Service and see if they
have SMS.

Elector

I am almost certain that it is NOT possible to exchange "true" SMS with
international sunscribers. The only possible SMS exchange is with those who
are with mobile companies partnered with Verizon (e.g., Vodafone). In
general, as I recall, Asian countries are poorly represented in this group.
You can look up the partner mobile companies on the VZW website.

Sahar

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> "RonInCal" <NoSpam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > I wanted to know whether Verizon is capable of true SMS exchange
> with these
> > countries similar to GSM phones (Cingular/T-Mobile). (All you enter
> is 011,
> > country code and the cel number. NOT e-mail)
> >
> > Thanks
>

> I would try it with a friend and see. That is the best way to know. Or
> you could visit the other persons Cellular Service and see if they
> have SMS.
>
> Elector

"RonInCal" <NoSpam@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<aF8nc.12391$Hs1.83@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> Can Verizon exchange messages between the US and the following Asian
> contries:?
> Japan
> Indonesia
> Thailand
> Philippines
>
> Thanks!

Yes you can, but only to certain providers in certain countries.

go to www.vtext.com and click on the "txt international" link to see
the list.

They add providers all the time so some more providers may work even
if they're not on the list. I have confirmed that Globe and Smart in
the Philippines work (both directions). Send the message to
011XXXXXXXXX like you would use to dial.

-MVL

"Sahar Shafqat" <sshafqat@gmpexpress.net> wrote in message
> I am almost certain that it is NOT possible to exchange "true" SMS
with
> international sunscribers. The only possible SMS exchange is with
those who
> are with mobile companies partnered with Verizon (e.g., Vodafone).
In
> general, as I recall, Asian countries are poorly represented in this
group.
> You can look up the partner mobile companies on the VZW website.
>
> Sahar

Quote: "You can look up the partner mobile companies on the VZW
website"

Which means absolutely nothing.
My friend in the United Kingdom uses O2 for his cellular service,
which is not listed as a partner with verizon. T-Mobile and Vodaphone
are listed. In fact any phone service can be contacted and as I stated
before you need only try it.

Elector