Need help! windows working lazy

Petie

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
I have an Athlon XP 1600+ Processor, 320MB SDRAM(256+64), 40 GB HDD and a GeForce FX5200 with a 512 bps internet connection. It's not the best but it's enough, mostly used for playing older computer games online - like Counter-Strike, or just Half-Life. When I bought the computer, I installed Win98 and eveything was going smoothly. Recently I installed WinXP, got connected to the internet, bought another computer and made the old one the server for the internet connection. And at that point the problems started. The system started lagging, everything works very slow - have to wait a lot of time before opening "My Computer" or "My Documents" not to mention the Start menu. Even Counter-Strike takes like 5 minutes before the main menu starts. opening a directory with few pictures viewed as minatures takes like a minute or two.

Basically my question is - What the hell is going on??????
Can someone explain, and help me with this??

I made a defrag recently, and I have only 24 most required processes runnung all the time, but it still works very slowly :(<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Petie on 04/22/04 09:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Sounds like you've got too many systems/applications going on at the same time.

Use only the minimum required to save resources.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Wouldn't do any harm to defrag either, if you haven't already.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2765&st=0#entry21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>