Your question

Computer won't shutdown

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Computer
  • Shutdown
Last response: in Motherboards
August 21, 2002 8:46:11 PM

This has been bothering me for a while. When I shutdown, it goes to the screen with the clouds and my computer turns off automatically, no "It is safe to turn off" message. Well, sometimes, it just stays at the clouds and I have to push and hold down the power button to shutdown. Any idea why this is happening? I'm starting to worry that this is damaging my hard drive. I get the scandisk screen when I boot up again. This doesn't happen too frequently, but enough to bug me. Here are my system specs:

Windows 98SE
Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 GHz cpu
Asus A7V133 mobo
Western Digital 100GB HD
384MB of Crucial RAM
GeForce2 Pro 64MB
SB Live!

Kudos to the one who can solve this problem.

More about : computer shutdown

August 22, 2002 1:23:05 AM

Well, I don't really know, but I'll have a couple of wild guesses. :-)

When I had a problem with a machine that wouldn't shut down it turned out to be caused by a little virus-like program that had sneaked in via the internet. I can't remember the name of it but it was attempting to use the computer's surplus capacity to run some routine or other. It wasn't actually destructive, but it was using resources and it did screw up the closing down routine. I located and removed it using a virus checker.

I also had a problem with another (legit) program that wouldn't let iexplorer close properly so stuffed up the closing routine. When you go to close, if you press Ctrl Alt Del can you see anything fishy - e.g. something listed as not responding?

The other possibilities I can think of are something wrong with the power supply (cheap or faulty ones can apparently cause all manner of random problems that get blamed on other components). Swapping it for a day or two usually rules that in or out.

And there's always re-installing good old Windows....

Good luck.
August 22, 2002 1:45:12 AM

Happens to me sometimes too, usually after I installed or tweak something, when maybe it didn't go 100% perfect. Just keep the maintains up. Out side of that it happens, if it does if often for no reason then I would think something is wrong.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?
Related resources
August 22, 2002 1:57:58 AM

Download the Windows 98SE Shutdown Supplement from the Microsoft site. (If I remember I'll find the link later).

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
August 22, 2002 4:46:09 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

phsstpok, I think I know the thing you're talking about. It's listed as Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package at the Windows Update site. I forgot about it and just downloaded it. In the past, I don't think it solved the lockups though.

You know, now that you mention it ironstone, sometimes during shutdown, I do get that popup telling you something isn't responding and to either wait or end task. I'll bet that's why I'm having these lockups. I'll just close it before shutting down. That should fix it right?
August 22, 2002 5:13:16 AM

Shutting the stuff down beforehand might do the trick, and is certainly worth a try, but if it does work you'd need to try and figure out why it wasn't closing as it should.

In my case with the Iexplorer not closing it turned out to be a problem with Gozilla (an old copy) which had integrated itself with Internet Explorer in some way (for catching downloads) but was then not letting it close properly.

There was no indication anywhere that this was the case (Gozilla didn't need to actually run) but when I uninstalled it (on a hunch)everything ran fine again.

It seemed to be some sort of worsening corruption, as it worked OK initially, and also doing the End Task thing only worked for a few days. For the first few days simply giving IEplorer a minute or so to unload from memory worked too, but that blew out as well.

I'm sure that there are a great many variations on this general theme. :-)
August 22, 2002 8:11:35 AM

Hey K,

This always happens to me after I have been using the OS for more than 18 months. Reformatting has always solved this for me. If this is a fresh install of Win 98 SE, I don't know what it could be. Good Luck

Peace Out......................tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing
August 22, 2002 8:38:17 AM

Okay, here is a little suggestion on how to fix this. The first thing is your BIOS. Go into BIOS to check if your power management for power suply is AT or ATX. AT will not shut down automatically and ATX will. So change it to ATX. Note that not all BIOS has this option. Second, your windows setting. Right click on your desktop to bring the display properties up. Click on screensaver tab. Then click on power button. Select the APM (Advance power management) tab. Check the checkbox for Enable APM support. Click okay and apply all the way. You should be able to shut down automatically, provided that you are having an ATX power supply.
August 22, 2002 11:39:04 AM

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bmantu on 08/23/02 01:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 22, 2002 2:26:46 PM

No, I was talking about <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/W..." target="_new">Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement</A> but this is for the wrong issue, systems that restart when a shutdown is requested.

The fix for your issue, system that hang at a shutdown request, can be fixed by clicking the RUN option (under Start Menu) and typing "msconfig" (without the quote marks) and pressing Enter. Click on the Advanced button. You will see several options. Put a check mark in the Disable Fast Shutdown box.

[<b>EDIT</b>: fixed the link]

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 08/22/02 10:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 22, 2002 4:46:12 PM

oops...<b>bmantu</b>

If you want help you should post your own question, you kind of jump in the middle of knight0 trying to solve a problem. You problem is similar, but not the same, and it sounds like you have a lot of trouble shooting to do. It might be different if you had a simple question, you question doesn't sound simple, therefor I would suggest you start your own post.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 08/22/02 12:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 23, 2002 5:00:25 AM

knight0, I apologize for jumping in.

jiffy, thanx for suggestion. I'm gonna post my own question.
August 23, 2002 8:07:28 AM

<A HREF="http://www.gpforums.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89..." target="_new">http://www.gpforums.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89...;/A>

theres a link to the other forums i goto
in that thread they talk about a CIH virus, witch infected the bios and stopped there computer from shutting down.

if you got nortan antivirus goto <A HREF="http://www.symantec.com" target="_new">http://www.symantec.com&lt;/A> to download the latest virus updates.

good luck :smile:

<font color=red>name:magic birthday:6/11/84 death:24/12/06 </font color=red>
!