CPU/MEM Freq Ratios?!?!

necrodreamer

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
Gonna make this short and as sweet as possible.
Specs:
300w Enermax PS
Intel P4 2.0 ghz Northwood
256mb Extreme/Samsung DDR3200
Asus P4S533 mobo
Windows XP Pro

When I leave the CPU/MEM ratio to 100/33 in BIOS and Chipset SDRAM config to auto at 2.5 CAS (which my ram is) everything runs fine.
Now, I spent a good bit of money on this setup just TO overclock. So, Every config tried (which is ALOT) but the one I'm about to explain doesn't post or posts and wont get any further so this one is the only of a few that will get my desktop with only a few problems (still blue-screens or "cannot copy file xxx.xxx" during XP reinstalls). I just want to be able to atleast get DDR400 or settle for 333.
I set the CPU/MEM to 133/33. (and I'm at work so bare with me please if some numbers are wrong, I have no reference) well am I supposed to change the CPU/CORE voltage settings? (ex: from 1.25 to 1.50 and above) Also, I tried 4:6 and monitor goes off, but if I 4:5... it works. Next, there is a part under chipset config that has SDRAM settings... I heard that its better if you set the CAS to 2 instead of 2.5? this I can only select if I take it off of "?SPD?" I think it said - and set it to "manual"... and then there are settings I can define under that like lead off time and some others... do I just leave those alone, or could those be the culprit?
Lastly, I've heard that if you up the mem/cpu freq, you must up the sdram voltage. Well, are the CAS settings in BIOS the ones that Im supposed to up (the culprit I just spoke about), or is the SDRAM jumper with three options on the motherboard that I think are 1.50 1.75 & 1.90

This is very frustrating as I am new to this DDR freq stuff but have 3 years networking/comp consulting under my belt<-wingin' it :) Thanks for any help guys.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.) 100/33 and 133/33 are your CPU bus/PCI bus ratios
2.) A lot of PC3200 is overclocked PC2700, you probably need to raise your SDRAM voltage to get it to full speed
3.) 1.75 should be enough
4.) The 4:6 ratio will get you DDR400 with the 133MHz bus speed setting. But your CPU might not make it to 2666MHz. I would shoot the core voltage right up to 1.75v if you can and try
5.) There is no memory that can run at Cas2/DDR400. The best you can hope for is Cas2 at DDR333 or Cas 2.5 at DDR400
6.) SPD is the information BIOS can read from the memory to set it by itself, in order to change such things as Cas Latency, you have to do it manually.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

necrodreamer

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
Crashman you are the BOMB dude!!! I was just scared to damage something if I would put the core voltage up any higher than 1.6... but I cranked it up all the way and put the CAS from 2 back to 2.5 and it booted fine, no blue screens.... and played games for and hour with no crashes!!! Although I couldnt do a FULL testing yet because it was midnight and I had work today, but Im pretty sure that did the trick. Ohh, BTW... if the voltage only had the option of 1.70 and not 1.75... is that still fine if it works? DUDE, im at DDR400~!!!! f-n right. Hey crashman, email me spenextel@hotmail.com your mailing address, and on September 21, I'm gonna mail you a check for $30.00 (looks like your help has paid off) <-- :) Now for the purchase of 2 gb RAM!!! thanks bud

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, and the lower you can run the core voltage without loosing stability, the better off you'll be.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Oh crap, I was just going to post the exact same info as you and then you beat me by a second.

Oh well, :wink:

<font color=blue>I don´t have a sig</font color=blue>

necrodreamer

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
Ohh crap... worked fine all day and all night and I eventually had to restart it because of something I installed and wham! it wont boot now no matter how many times I try... NOW, the only way I can get it to boot is to set it to 4:5. QUICK maybe IMPORTANT note:
I have a blue cold cathode light easily visable from where I sit. Before I Overclocked, this light was ALWAYS on a constant with NO dim. No matter if I was renedering a HUGE image with a 3d app, installing XP, games, etc. But NOW that I'm OC'n to 2.6 ghz, everytime my systems is "thinking" it dims. like it is dancing to music.... not horribly but noticeably Could it be that my PS has a strain on it now and is on that borderline of just enough/overdoing it? or is there no way that this amount of power requirement could make a difference? Should I try another PS cuz I really liked it at ddr400 with the speed increases... I'm not only a user, I'm now an addict. I had for only like 28 hours :)

necrodreamer

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
Ohh and another quick qestion.... noone explained what the hell the 4-prong jumper on the motherboard was for the mem voltage? Should I leave it on the default (2.5v), 2.75, or 2.9?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're definately having power problems if you light bar is dancing like that. Maybe unhooking it would give you just enough power to make the system work? But having a visual display of the problem sure is handy.

Asus boards come with TWO P4-12v connectors, the normal sqaure one and a substitute. The substitute is a normal drive power socket. You only need to use the substitute connector if you don't have the square one on your power supply.