Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2142 is just a mod D:

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 31, 2007 12:46:35 AM

It's true...EA created a mod for BF2 and sold it for $50.

It's the same engine, they just gave everything a makeover.

How can anyone buy this game?

So many bugs, I honestly don't see how anyone can be happy and satisfied and believe that they got their money's worth.

The same goes for BF2 - So many things need to be done, but what does EA do? Make a mod and sell it as a new game.

EA does not care about the consumer, why won't people realize this?

(a lot of companies don't care about the consumer as well)

More about : 2142 mod

March 31, 2007 4:33:16 AM

Obviously it's the same engine, what would be the point in building a new one? Battlefield 2142 is a bit easier at the get go. And the biggest comparison would be Battlefield 2 looks just plain sloppy after playing it's sequel. As for bugs, their latest release seems to have eliminated most of the problems I've had.

Kind of have to relize, too, that Electronic Arts doesn't actually develop a lot of these games, they just market them and have their brand name attatched to help sales. How many more people are going to buy Spore and Hellgate: London, then will be lost because the Electronic Arts name is attatched?

If you want to be mad about Battlefield 2142 being nothing more then a nifty mod, blame DICE, instead. Personally, it's a large step above Battlefield 2.
March 31, 2007 7:47:45 AM

Quote:
Obviously it's the same engine, what would be the point in building a new one? Battlefield 2142 is a bit easier at the get go. And the biggest comparison would be Battlefield 2 looks just plain sloppy after playing it's sequel. As for bugs, their latest release seems to have eliminated most of the problems I've had.

Kind of have to relize, too, that Electronic Arts doesn't actually develop a lot of these games, they just market them and have their brand name attatched to help sales. How many more people are going to buy Spore and Hellgate: London, then will be lost because the Electronic Arts name is attatched?

If you want to be mad about Battlefield 2142 being nothing more then a nifty mod, blame DICE, instead. Personally, it's a large step above Battlefield 2.


Titan mode is good, but BF2 owns compared to 2142 IMO with all the vehicles.

I don't have 2142 full so I can't compare the 2, but comparing the 2 demo's, BF2(000) wins hands down.
Related resources
March 31, 2007 4:38:03 PM

I played 2142 for 2 months or so.. I got brigadier, now i'm back to playing bf2... almost master sargeant! (I got alot more hours in bf2 than 2142..)
April 7, 2007 2:15:01 AM

Overall it could just be because I put in a bunch of hours on Battlefield 2142 before playing Battlefield 2 that affected things, but I'm liking Battlefield 2142 better. Has a feel like Return to Castle Wolfenstien: Enemy Territory, over feeling overly open like Battlefield 1942 did at times.
April 14, 2007 3:06:52 PM

F***ing EA wiped my 2142 stats for a stupid reason. I had like over 8,000 points! They sent me an email saying that I violated the terms of service. When I contacted them to review my case they said they would not restore my account because apparently I was flying a helo and some F***O in my helo was seat swapping and I got 26 points off of it.

26 points!! They could have just taken off the 26 points, but no, instead my account gets wiped :evil: 

F*** EA

And BF2 is way better than 2142
April 14, 2007 8:12:51 PM

Battlefield 2142 is the first battlefield game I own.

A few months ago I was at my local electronics store looking at the different BF games and noticed that they had released a ridiculous amount of BF games/expansions/mods/booster packs!?!? (donno what to call em). I tried the demos for BF 2 and BF 2142 and I liked the titan mode for 2142, so I bought that game.

2142 was fun. I particularly liked the concept of collecting dog tags. After I unlocked all the gear I wanted, I played some more until I found the weak points of the vehicles and how to land a transport on their titan w/o getting shot down. The game was fun, competitive most of the time, but gets highly repetitive. A few dozen more hours in the titan AA guns and I could have won another medal, but I opted for an early retirement from the battlefield.

Just a few weeks after I bought the game, an expansion was released called Northern Strike. Needless to say EA could have included the contents of this expansion with BF 2142 instead of marketing it as added content. Because of the subsequent release of an expansion within such a short period of the original release, I view Northern Strike as "removed content". I will not buy anymore battlefield games because additional content/"removed content" will not make the game less repetitive.
April 15, 2007 1:42:15 AM

Quote:
Battlefield 2142 is the first battlefield game I own.

A few months ago I was at my local electronics store looking at the different BF games and noticed that they had released a ridiculous amount of BF games/expansions/mods/booster packs!?!? (donno what to call em). I tried the demos for BF 2 and BF 2142 and I liked the titan mode for 2142, so I bought that game.

2142 was fun. I particularly liked the concept of collecting dog tags. After I unlocked all the gear I wanted, I played some more until I found the weak points of the vehicles and how to land a transport on their titan w/o getting shot down. The game was fun, competitive most of the time, but gets highly repetitive. A few dozen more hours in the titan AA guns and I could have won another medal, but I opted for an early retirement from the battlefield.

Just a few weeks after I bought the game, an expansion was released called Northern Strike. Needless to say EA could have included the contents of this expansion with BF 2142 instead of marketing it as added content. Because of the subsequent release of an expansion within such a short period of the original release, I view Northern Strike as "removed content". I will not buy anymore battlefield games because additional content/"removed content" will not make the game less repetitive.


That's what the gaming industry has come down to - cheating the consumers out of money anyway they can.

I'm glad they have reached you that way, the same way that they have "touched" me - angry and back stabbed

There are custom maps for BF2 that have most of the vehicles in the expansion packs.

Project reality mod has the small chopper, that white truck from SF, the A-10....

I will also not be buying a battlefield game - I don't even think I will buy a game period anymore - at least not from a cheating company like EA.
April 20, 2007 3:59:27 PM

Quote:
It's true...EA created a mod for BF2 and sold it for $50.

It's the same engine, they just gave everything a makeover.

How can anyone buy this game?

So many bugs, I honestly don't see how anyone can be happy and satisfied and believe that they got their money's worth.

The same goes for BF2 - So many things need to be done, but what does EA do? Make a mod and sell it as a new game.

EA does not care about the consumer, why won't people realize this?

(a lot of companies don't care about the consumer as well)



Because it's fun.. now HUSH!!! if you are going to biatch, don't buy it. If you don't want to pay $50 wait till it's $40 like I did with free shipping.
April 20, 2007 11:24:24 PM

Quote:
It's true...EA created a mod for BF2 and sold it for $50.

It's the same engine, they just gave everything a makeover.

How can anyone buy this game?

So many bugs, I honestly don't see how anyone can be happy and satisfied and believe that they got their money's worth.

The same goes for BF2 - So many things need to be done, but what does EA do? Make a mod and sell it as a new game.

EA does not care about the consumer, why won't people realize this?

(a lot of companies don't care about the consumer as well)



Because it's fun.. now HUSH!!! if you are going to biatch, don't buy it. If you don't want to pay $50 wait till it's $40 like I did with free shipping.

You don't get it do you?
April 20, 2007 11:30:41 PM

Quote:
It's true...EA created a mod for BF2 and sold it for $50.

It's the same engine, they just gave everything a makeover.

How can anyone buy this game?

So many bugs, I honestly don't see how anyone can be happy and satisfied and believe that they got their money's worth.

The same goes for BF2 - So many things need to be done, but what does EA do? Make a mod and sell it as a new game.

EA does not care about the consumer, why won't people realize this?

(a lot of companies don't care about the consumer as well)



Because it's fun.. now HUSH!!! if you are going to biatch, don't buy it. If you don't want to pay $50 wait till it's $40 like I did with free shipping.

You don't get it do you?

Nope. I like the game. It runs fine on my system.
April 21, 2007 2:03:32 AM

i feel the same about most of the games EA releases now days, but i must say they did an excellent job on C&C 3 :) 
April 21, 2007 11:20:43 AM

Well i do like bf2142, there are bugs in it, but i don't really notice them. The only thing i don't like about the BF series is that in every new one, they remove something, now we don't have boats anymore, things like that. The titan mode i avoid mostly, because it makes my pc lagg like hell. (except on some 32player and lower servers)

But even still its fun to play, it looks nice and I think its worth my €50 (because i don't like much games anymore these days, and i play this one for quite a time now)
April 21, 2007 6:17:48 PM

I have to agree with you ALANMAN: C&C 3 is an excellent strategy game. But, I have never purchased any expansion packs for any C&C game and I don't expect to buy the expansion pack(s) for Tiberium Wars.

With the amount of titles EA releases, I am not surprised that there are a few games that stand out. I do not want to overgeneralize about one company, because I understand that as a company EA's main concern is making profits. I understand that FPS are probably the hottest selling thing in the industry right now, therefore a large company such as EA would want to control a large share of the profits from that industry. It is understandable that popular titles would produce a greater demand for expansion packs. I do not understand why EA would release so many expansion packs for a single game over such a relatively short period of time. Here is a link to the release dates of Battlefield titles: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefield2142/simil...

If a company wants to maintain control over a large share of the FPS market, flooding the market with expansions for one game would not be the best strategy. An expansion or two released within the first year or two of release would increase a company's market share for that period of time. Releasing any more expansions would exhaust the company's gamer base and reduce market share that they had gained initially. For the reason mentioned above, EA has marketed Battlefield 2142 as a new game.

Battlefield 2142 was the first and will be the only Battlefield game I will purchase. After playing Battlefield 2142, I was surprised that a lot of the people who had played a previous Battlefield game didn't like the new game. I wondered what the new BF game lacked that the previous ones had. Shortly after my purchase of BF 2142 an expansion was released and I realized what the game lacked. The original Battlefield was impressive because of all the vehicles you can control on the battlefield and no other FPS had done that before. More recent Battlefield titles lack any innovation. EA will continue to release title after title of expansions and games that contain as little content as possible. EA will get away with their practices as long as people are willing to buy their games.

As long as there are new gamers there will always be new potential customers for companies like EA. But, in order for EA to continue to enjoy the growth they gained, they need to continue to innovate and to redefine the games they intend on releasing. If EA continues to regurgitate the same game in a slightly different fashion each time it releases a new Battlefield game, then EA is betting that their customers are too stupid to notice they are buying something that is marketed as a new game but is actually a stand alone mod of a game they already own. Until EA releases a new and innovative FPS, I will not buy any FPS from them; I prefer spending my cash on a title that offers more for my money.
April 22, 2007 5:43:20 PM

Quote:
I have to agree with you ALANMAN: C&C 3 is an excellent strategy game. But, I have never purchased any expansion packs for any C&C game and I don't expect to buy the expansion pack(s) for Tiberium Wars.

With the amount of titles EA releases, I am not surprised that there are a few games that stand out. I do not want to overgeneralize about one company, because I understand that as a company EA's main concern is making profits. I understand that FPS are probably the hottest selling thing in the industry right now, therefore a large company such as EA would want to control a large share of the profits from that industry. It is understandable that popular titles would produce a greater demand for expansion packs. I do not understand why EA would release so many expansion packs for a single game over such a relatively short period of time. Here is a link to the release dates of Battlefield titles: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefield2142/simil...

If a company wants to maintain control over a large share of the FPS market, flooding the market with expansions for one game would not be the best strategy. An expansion or two released within the first year or two of release would increase a company's market share for that period of time. Releasing any more expansions would exhaust the company's gamer base and reduce market share that they had gained initially. For the reason mentioned above, EA has marketed Battlefield 2142 as a new


That's the reason I hate EA - it proves to me that they don't work on improving the original BF2, but rather, they work on x packs to make more money - proving to everyone that they don't care about the consumer.
April 23, 2007 9:48:38 AM

I liked both Battle Field 2 and Battle Field 2142, but I liked 2142 much more. I must have played BF2 for about 4 months and got 2142 the day it was released and played that for 2 months before I went on to other things. All things considered £25 for 2 months worth of gaming pleasure on a 4-hour a night basis was a good buy.

The game was a lot more polished than Battle Field 2 with the upgrade system having much more substance and the command system being very in-depth and much more fun to use. Also the addition of the walker made things very interesting for the game.

I would like to take up on another point about there being no boats, why would you need them 140 years from now when you can fly or use an APC for travelling on water?

Mind you I do agree that EA is flooding the market with expansion packs that only 5 years ago would have been more on the level of a content update patch. But then again you have to remember EA is out to make money, not friends (a short term view on running a business and will ultimately come to hurt them in the long term).
April 25, 2007 12:33:05 AM

Quote:
Mind you I do agree that EA is flooding the market with expansion packs that only 5 years ago would have been more on the level of a content update patch. But then again you have to remember EA is out to make money, not friends (a short term view on running a business and will ultimately come to hurt them in the long term).


In reply to that part of your post, most gamers are too uninformed and/or motivated to care.

They still buy games because other people do and also because it's the latest game out, and to get the most out of a game you need to buy it when it first comes out so that more people are playing it. (I don't necessarily agree with that statement but that's how most gamers think, but I'm not trying to point fingers or name call or anything, I somewhat agree but don't back it up, I prefer older games)
April 25, 2007 2:21:48 PM

am I mistaken, or do I recall correctly that BF2142 was only released with 4 maps? Since the game has basically no single player (just multiplayer maps with bots), why was more time not allocated to more maps and content? Clearly the initial game was purposely incomplete to allow the addition of expansion packs which should have been content patches (as someone mentioned).

As for the person who got their account reset for such a rediculous reason, you're not the only one. I have a friend who was literally reset 4 times in BF2. The first time he knew why (a server of people messing around with knife fights), but the next 3 times they would not provide an explanation, so he kept getting reset without knowing how to avoid it. When he demanded to know why (via e-mail and on the EA forums), he was told that if they told him how he's cheating the information could be used to help others to cheat as well in the same way. If they're already banning people for the infraction whatever it is, then they obviously have a way to detect and punish for it. Why keep it a secret from a (previously) extremely good and dedicated player?

He was an excellent squad leader on the ground staying alive and getting to objectives, and he was one of the best chopper pilots I've seen. Gee, he should be punished. GJ EA. Now you've got a LAN party of gamers who will not be buying anymore Battlefield titles, and most of us not even any EA games at all.
April 26, 2007 1:00:36 AM

Quote:
am I mistaken, or do I recall correctly that BF2142 was only released with 4 maps? Since the game has basically no single player (just multiplayer maps with bots), why was more time not allocated to more maps and content? Clearly the initial game was purposely incomplete to allow the addition of expansion packs which should have been content patches (as someone mentioned).

As for the person who got their account reset for such a rediculous reason, you're not the only one. I have a friend who was literally reset 4 times in BF2. The first time he knew why (a server of people messing around with knife fights), but the next 3 times they would not provide an explanation, so he kept getting reset without knowing how to avoid it. When he demanded to know why (via e-mail and on the EA forums), he was told that if they told him how he's cheating the information could be used to help others to cheat as well in the same way. If they're already banning people for the infraction whatever it is, then they obviously have a way to detect and punish for it. Why keep it a secret from a (previously) extremely good and dedicated player?

He was an excellent squad leader on the ground staying alive and getting to objectives, and he was one of the best chopper pilots I've seen. Gee, he should be punished. GJ EA. Now you've got a LAN party of gamers who will not be buying anymore Battlefield titles, and most of us not even any EA games at all.


Ranked sucks now anyways - it always did tho - the mods are way funner and nobody is being a little bitch about anything.

When 2142 came out it had like 10 maps or something, and no single player? what's the gaming world coming to? single player matters more then multiplayer - the fact that only multi player games have actually made this much money is astounding. I mean, just thinking about what kind of single player bf2 or 2142 could have had makes me mad at EA.
!