A new chipset from AMD?

nonoc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
In the past AMD has provided chipsets of thier own when the industry could not. Considering the latest benchmarks on THG highlighting the memory bandwidth problems between the CPU and northbridge, does anyone think AMD will come up with a new chipset or is this problem a design issue?

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Considering the latest benchmarks on THG highlighting the memory bandwidth problems between the CPU and northbridge, does anyone think AMD will come up with a new chipset or is this problem a design issue?
The bandwidth limitation for the Athlon currently has nothing to do with the chipset. It's the FSB that's limiting it. The FSB is officially 133 MHz DDR and this imposes a restriction on how quickly the CPU can be fed, regardless of how much memory bandwidth is available.

Even so, an unlocked Athlon with the FSB overclocked to 166 MHz DDR and mated with 333 DDR memory doesn't improve performance dramatically (as shown on various web sites). The P4 benefits far more from a bump in FSB and memory speed. So the bottleneck appears to be somewhere in the Athlon core. Perhaps the L2 cache bus width.

Ritesh

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
The CPU cant handle more that 2.1gigs of bandwith. So i really find a fsb increase for the Althlon pointless and trivial. 133 DDR is perfectly fine for the core. Anymore would litterally be a waste to the CPU.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey N,

To make it a simple answer, YES. AMD's next gen "Hammer" line will have a built in Memory controller on the chip or die. This will hopefully address the FSB or Memory Bus issues...............but we will have to wait & see, it could be bogus like a lot of other hype.

If you were hoping that AMD went back into the chipset manufacuering business............don't hold your breath. That is not the direction that AMD wants to take again.

Peace Out...................tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

tersagun

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
I don't think AMD will produce chipset again, at least in this 1-2 years. Hey, they stop producing Duron's because of high-costs. And you know, producing Duron is more cheaper and easier than producing board-chipset for a XP factory.

<b>Before getting angry to the (d)evil, just think about who CREATED it!</b> :mad:

tersagun

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
Is this Sledgehammer the next step of the original Hammer?
Wauuv! I better watch the CPU Guide instead of Board$Chips and Graphics Guide..

<b>Before getting angry to the (d)evil, just think about who CREATED it!</b> :mad:

JaeSun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
are u saying that getting an
AMD XP Processor
and a
KT400 board
and a
PC3200 400Mhz CL2 DDR

i think so. its like giving a car with 2 tires a ferrari engine...it isnt gonna do much difference since only having 2 tires limits it. the athlon, the FSB/memory bandwidth is only 266Mhz ....so PC2100 (DDR266) is about what it uses .....

The CPU cant handle more that 2.1gigs of bandwith. So i really find a fsb increase for the Althlon pointless and trivial. 133 DDR is perfectly fine for the core. Anymore would litterally be a waste to the CPU.

pointless? i think not....the chips typically make their FSB speed about the same as the memory controller speed .... athlon's FSB is 266Mhz and their memory bandwidth is DDR266 (PC2100) ....

C0rn_Flex

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Right, so I guess I'm going fot the PC2700 C2 memory, because I want to leave me some space for overclocking if I might use it.
Now...
1. I'm thinking of going for the Corsair XMS, do u have any other suggestions?
2. What's better, getting 2 * 256MB OR 1 * 512MB?

Thanks!

JaeSun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
2700 will prob be better .... and besides, PC3200, there really isnt true DDR400 memory out there..i think samsung has "some", but still...JEDEC hasnt approved specs for it, which is why you dont see true DDR400 memory out there from the mass memory manuf. its really OC'd DDR333.

1. id go with corsair XMSC2 ... thats your best bet imho.
2. i 512 ... its cheaper (normally), and it does run better than 2 sticks of 256MB