Deleted user remnants

July 14, 2004 11:42:03 PM

I found that I needed to delete (and reinstall) two Limited Account users (XP Pro) to make my Internet connection operate properly.

User account Miles deleted and recreated fine. Accouhnt Iva didn't.

Now I have account Iva with all the it's document and other data under "Iva.MyComputerName" and a legacy of "Iva" documents and folders which are just taking up space.

How do I delete the unused old "Iva" structure and/OR move the account "Iva" out of the "Iva.MyComputerName" structure and into the more logical "Iva" hierarchy (and then delete the "Iva.MyComputerName" structure).

The only user names in "CP users" are Miles, Iva and Administrator. I am certain that Iva is using the "Iva.MyComputerName" file structure.

Thank you.

More about : deleted user remnants

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 4:14:44 PM

Suggestion:
Logged on as 'the administrator' of the box (whichever userid you use for
that)
Put everything underneath "Iva.MyComputerName" that you want to save (like
documents) aside in a backup dir.
delete the account IVA in CP.
Go into My Computer Properties, Advanced, User Profiles, Settings and select
the Unknown Account (the just now deleted IVA account) and delete the
profile. That cleans out Documents and Settings\IVA
Go to filesystem and delete "Documents And Settings\Iva.MyComputerName"
(which came about because there already was a structure for "Iva" when you
defined IVA the second time.)
If you delete the account in CP and *don't* delete the accompanying user
profile in Documents And Settings this is what happens.
Now you should be able to newly define IVA with a resulting profile of IVA.
Now put your saved stuff back in the appropriate folder(s)
hth

"Miles Archer" <MilesArcher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I found that I needed to delete (and reinstall) two Limited Account users
(XP Pro) to make my Internet connection operate properly.

> User account Miles deleted and recreated fine. Accouhnt Iva didn't.
>
> Now I have account Iva with all the it's document and other data under
"Iva.MyComputerName" and a legacy of "Iva" documents and folders which are
just taking up space.

> How do I delete the unused old "Iva" structure and/OR move the account
"Iva" out of the "Iva.MyComputerName" structure and into the more logical
"Iva" hierarchy (and then delete the "Iva.MyComputerName" structure).

> The only user names in "CP users" are Miles, Iva and Administrator. I am
certain that Iva is using the "Iva.MyComputerName" file structure.

> Thank you.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 4:14:45 PM

What you are describing is exactly what I would do under Win 98SE, but don't MS Office and other products create registry settings based on the file structure based on the "newly created" file structure (IVA.MyComputerName) when using Windows XP?

I'm concerened about losing program control for IVA. Will all programs run properly if I just delete the user ID and rename the Documents and Settings file structure? (This is why I deleted them in the first place - They didn't have Internet access because they didn't exist when I installed my ISP software, and they didn't have permission for the Internet because of it.)

Also, I initially deleted IVA and MILES users and rebooted before I recreated them, so I don't understand why IVA's old fike structure would still be on the computer - But this isn't as important as the main point, i.e. fixing the main file structure.

tyvm

!