Can't get wireless adapter to see internet

I have a Linksys wireless adapter that can connect to the router access
point. However, it does not connect to the internet. Other wireless adapters
on other computers have no problems.

I have tried all the typical fixes for this, such as configuring the adapter
and router to a specific IP and MAC #, reducing the threshhold levels, and
using IPCONFIG to release the IPs.

When I set the adapter to use DHCP, it auto-configures the adapter to an IP
that is not in the range of the router at all, so the two are not talking, I
guess.

One hint, when I do an IPCONFIG/Renew, it comes back with an error message
indicating that it cannot do a renew, because the adapter is not in the
proper state.

Anyone have any more ideas?

Thanks,
Don

I am assuming you're getting an IP address of 169.254.x.x. If so, you
indeed have a misconfiguration. Disable DHCP on the card and let the
router assign it an IP address. Make sure that the SSID, and
encryption settings are exactly the same. Can you access the router's
menu from the affected machine? Are you using WZC or the card
wireless config utility? Is your firewall, if available, blocking
access to the internet? You've probably already tried these
suggestions and I apologize if you have. Still, my it is my experience
that the problem is almost always something simple. Take care.

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:43:52 GMT, "Don Pearsall"
<donpearsall@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have a Linksys wireless adapter that can connect to the router access
>point. However, it does not connect to the internet. Other wireless adapters
>on other computers have no problems.
>
>I have tried all the typical fixes for this, such as configuring the adapter
>and router to a specific IP and MAC #, reducing the threshhold levels, and
>using IPCONFIG to release the IPs.
>
>When I set the adapter to use DHCP, it auto-configures the adapter to an IP
>that is not in the range of the router at all, so the two are not talking, I
>guess.
>
>One hint, when I do an IPCONFIG/Renew, it comes back with an error message
>indicating that it cannot do a renew, because the adapter is not in the
>proper state.
>
>Anyone have any more ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Don

Will the PC connect to the internet using an ethernet cable?

jakesnake

"Don Pearsall" <donpearsall@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have a Linksys wireless adapter that can connect to the router access
> point. However, it does not connect to the internet. Other wireless
adapters
> on other computers have no problems.
>
> I have tried all the typical fixes for this, such as configuring the
adapter
> and router to a specific IP and MAC #, reducing the threshhold levels, and
> using IPCONFIG to release the IPs.
>
> When I set the adapter to use DHCP, it auto-configures the adapter to an
IP
> that is not in the range of the router at all, so the two are not talking,
> guess.
>
> One hint, when I do an IPCONFIG/Renew, it comes back with an error message
> indicating that it cannot do a renew, because the adapter is not in the
> proper state.
>
> Anyone have any more ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Don

Jake,
I can't string a cable that far, to reach the PC. It is on another level of
the house.

Don

mark

I was on the phone with LinkSys tech support last night for this very
reason. They had me change the SSID, and the channel in the router. The
SSID was the default (linksys), and I guess a neighbor has a network using
the defaults so it caused problems.

The change worked for me.

Mark