Can't get wireless adapter to see internet

I have a Linksys wireless adapter that can connect to the router access
point. However, it does not connect to the internet. Other wireless adapters
on other computers have no problems.

I have tried all the typical fixes for this, such as configuring the adapter
and router to a specific IP and MAC #, reducing the threshhold levels, and
using IPCONFIG to release the IPs.

When I set the adapter to use DHCP, it auto-configures the adapter to an IP
that is not in the range of the router at all, so the two are not talking, I
guess.

One hint, when I do an IPCONFIG/Renew, it comes back with an error message
indicating that it cannot do a renew, because the adapter is not in the
proper state.

Anyone have any more ideas?

Thanks,
Don
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless adapter internet

    I am assuming you're getting an IP address of 169.254.x.x. If so, you
    indeed have a misconfiguration. Disable DHCP on the card and let the
    router assign it an IP address. Make sure that the SSID, and
    encryption settings are exactly the same. Can you access the router's
    menu from the affected machine? Are you using WZC or the card
    wireless config utility? Is your firewall, if available, blocking
    access to the internet? You've probably already tried these
    suggestions and I apologize if you have. Still, my it is my experience
    that the problem is almost always something simple. Take care.

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:43:52 GMT, "Don Pearsall"
    <donpearsall@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I have a Linksys wireless adapter that can connect to the router access
    >point. However, it does not connect to the internet. Other wireless adapters
    >on other computers have no problems.
    >
    >I have tried all the typical fixes for this, such as configuring the adapter
    >and router to a specific IP and MAC #, reducing the threshhold levels, and
    >using IPCONFIG to release the IPs.
    >
    >When I set the adapter to use DHCP, it auto-configures the adapter to an IP
    >that is not in the range of the router at all, so the two are not talking, I
    >guess.
    >
    >One hint, when I do an IPCONFIG/Renew, it comes back with an error message
    >indicating that it cannot do a renew, because the adapter is not in the
    >proper state.
    >
    >Anyone have any more ideas?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Don

    Will the PC connect to the internet using an ethernet cable?

    jakesnake

    "Don Pearsall" <donpearsall@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Linksys wireless adapter that can connect to the router access
    > point. However, it does not connect to the internet. Other wireless
    adapters
    > on other computers have no problems.
    >
    > I have tried all the typical fixes for this, such as configuring the
    adapter
    > and router to a specific IP and MAC #, reducing the threshhold levels, and
    > using IPCONFIG to release the IPs.
    >
    > When I set the adapter to use DHCP, it auto-configures the adapter to an
    IP
    > that is not in the range of the router at all, so the two are not talking,
    > guess.
    >
    > One hint, when I do an IPCONFIG/Renew, it comes back with an error message
    > indicating that it cannot do a renew, because the adapter is not in the
    > proper state.
    >
    > Anyone have any more ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Don

    Jake,
    I can't string a cable that far, to reach the PC. It is on another level of
    the house.

    Don

    I was on the phone with LinkSys tech support last night for this very
    reason. They had me change the SSID, and the channel in the router. The
    SSID was the default (linksys), and I guess a neighbor has a network using
    the defaults so it caused problems.

    The change worked for me.

    Mark

    "Don Pearsall" <donpearsall@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Linksys wireless adapter that can connect to the router access
    > point. However, it does not connect to the internet. Other wireless
    adapters
    > on other computers have no problems.
    >
    > I have tried all the typical fixes for this, such as configuring the
    adapter
    > and router to a specific IP and MAC #, reducing the threshhold levels, and
    > using IPCONFIG to release the IPs.
    >
    > When I set the adapter to use DHCP, it auto-configures the adapter to an
    IP
    > that is not in the range of the router at all, so the two are not talking,
    > guess.
    >
    > One hint, when I do an IPCONFIG/Renew, it comes back with an error message
    > indicating that it cannot do a renew, because the adapter is not in the
    > proper state.
    >
    > Anyone have any more ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Don

Routers Wireless Adapter Internet Wireless Networking