RuneScape Exposed Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
In Part 2, we look to see just how responsive Jagex Ltd., the company that owns and runs RuneScape, has been to the complaints from honest gamers and concerned parents.

czar1020

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Bitch moan bitch moan, same crap we hear from wow and the other hundred or so games, its a game period. if parents cant keep kid under control its their own damn fault.

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Bitch moan bitch moan, same crap we hear from wow and the other hundred or so games, its a game period. if parents cant keep kid under control its their own damn fault.

How is it my fault if you can't control your kid?

I would have no problem with this if the game devs were being honest. But if the article is correct, they advertise the game as one way when it is really another. That is enough to prevent me from subscribing to the game or allowing any family member to subscribe.

It may be a game, but if you don't think kids learn some social behavior from games, you're deluded. Especially if the game is their main parent.

Runescaper

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
ROFLMAO@@@@@

Seriously, big fat XD deserved for this.

What level are you? What clans have you been part of?

I want to know, because most aspects of this game don't show until endgame.

it's like saying you've played WoW yet never raided.

But seriously, it did crack me up, so cred to you for that.

paulyts50

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
I see only that children are replying, sorry to see. I refuse to quote any of you as you have not made any valid points to counter. One thing you do have to remember is yes, parents must try to have control, but more importantly teach your children control.

Mine is taught to use civility at all times, even on the Internet, where anonymity gives courage to speak your mind.

paulyts50

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Charles, that was extremely well written and informative. It will serve well to help parents make an informed decision whether they wish their children to play Runescape.

I have included both articles on my blog and emailed to friends, the school divisions and the libraries in town and those on the Internet that I had been conversing with.

Thank you so much for the articles, and for being a concerned parent!

LazyDriver

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Granted, I started playing RuneScape when I was 10 (I'm 13 now, quit in January, the game got boring for me, I had over 1000 skill total and like you said, was making only about 250k an hour and I'm a horrible merchant because of the autoers, so I quit).

Children experiance the same teasing in the real world and in schools, you can't stop it even if you wanted to, it's apart of growing up.

We should raid this game cause it sucks so bad. I used to be obsessed, not addicted, just obsessed with this game. Now I think it is a poor excuse for a MMORPG.

Did I have a good time playing this game? Absolutely. I just shrugged off the noob comments (you do know that the LUL NOOBs are made fun of right, and that when I was level 3, I was insulted, but I didn't really care). I was 10 at that time, by the way.

Children are not as impressionable as adults believe, we are not idiots, and it's a little disgusting to be treated as such. I've used forums since I was 6 years old, and it's taught me a lot about life in general. I've learned how to spell better, use better grammar, gain intelligence in the field of computing (which without using forums as a 11 or 12 year old, I wouldn't have the knowledge I have today).

It was well-written, but your statement overall is false.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
ROFLMAO@@@@@

Did you read his posts in part 1 in this forum? He plays the game with his 2 kids.

mdschwarz

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
ROFLMAO@@@@@

Classy. If concern about the author's epeen size is your main issue with the article, then from the thread about part 1, his stats:

Level 117 combat, 1838 total levels, 73 million XP.

Props for illustrating his points about the Runescape community, and the MMORPG community in general, though.

LazyDriver's got a good point, in that whether Runescape is appropriate for kids really depends on the character of the kid. That's a decision that ultimately must be made by parents. Charles' point that Jagex is not providing, and is in fact suppressing, honest information to enable parents to make that decision still stands, however.

They're engaged in what amounts to deceptive marketing towards parents, and as long as that's the case, they're not only leaving themselves open to deservedly bad press, they're throwing fuel on the fire of the growing movement toward government censorship of games.

theclintstone

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Well I certianly agree, being a parent of four, that parents are in the end responsible for thier children, I don't think this is the spirit of the artical. This story is more about the developers of this game don't realy care on doing what it takes to make the game fair and a game for all ages. I have played both Everquest and WoW, but not Runescape, and in both of those there is a lot that has been done to prevent fraud, and luring.
EQ for example has a bazaar for sellers, that allows for player to player buying and selling in a shop like environment. You get warned by the game that you are in a PvP area, not that players can loot the other players anyways.
I think the point I am trying to make here is that it sounds like runescape has some issues that could be fixed and untill they are player be warned. Ohh and your not going to be warned on Runescapes forums.

neveremember

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I think the author has a few valid points, but for me this statement sums the article up pretty well.

"the negative elements often ruin the good parts, and this sometimes occurs only after a lot of investment of time that goes to waste."

The author is investing his time and not playing a game. a game is a game, and any time playing them is assumed to be "wasted". if you have spent a thousand hours playing and don't want your time to be wasted, then do something useful with your time like helping the homeless or something. when you're ready to kill some time and relax, then log in to a game. if you spend 1000 hrs playing, then thats your decision, just don't expect the game owes you any return on your "investment".

Kizar

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I have two young sons who play Runescape on and off and I have played on line RPGs myself as well (though not Runescape).

I have read the articles but they leave me feeling uneasy. Certainly the experience of my sons does not reflect the way the articles portray Runescape. While some of the complaints against RS may well be justified the same could be said about almost all the RPGs out there (the phrase 'basic problems that they could fix with a simple code change' appear in EVERY on line forum for a game I have ever seen).

Overall my sons have definetely enjoyed RS and found it a positive experience so the articles do not convince me.

I would ask what was the reason for writing the articles? While there are some complaints in there they do not seem strong enought to warrant what is, frankly, quite ferocious condemnation.

paulyts50

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Here is info from my blog. Charles , should the length be offensive I will gladly remove...let me know.

Here is a sampling of forum posts from those who lured. They are venting their anger that Jagex is now upholding rule 2 , and no longer allows them to lure other players to kill them and steal their items.

The anonymity of the internet is the perfect place lie and deceive. Unless you are playing the game with your child or looking over their shoulder, they can be doing or saying anything they please.

Please also remember, a child's bedroom is not the place to put a computer, be sure to talk often about internet safety and ask your children to behave on the internet as you have asked them to behave in real life. Do otherwise your child's values will be learned from online games.

All of the posts have been added in their entirety, spelling and grammar errors and all:

UP WITH THE PKERS AND LURERS!!!
DOWN WITH THE WHINNING, SLOBBERING 8 YEAR OLD NOOBS

You wish. Mentality of a lurer is "Let's find someone retarted enough to take something of value into a situation they know they can die from." And guess what. It works.
The good lurers, the ones who can actually succesfully lure someone for 10-450M+, are a lot smarter then you are because they can actually convince someone to take something of actual worth. Thats right, if you become a spectacular lurer you can practically make a living off a morons on RS. 100M+ in 5 Minutes? A tenth the risk of Staking and the same reward.
A great lurer, can have a blast on RS with their Lured Phats and Mils. You can stick to your RS "honor" of making money by skills and merchanting. But I'll stick to buying Skills and Rares with the money I made in a millionth of the time it took you, thanks.

I'm not smart? Because I have the correct timing to Special someone when I PK? Because I know how to get first hit in every stake? Because I probably have a higher total at 66 Combat then you do? Because I know how to PLAY THE GAME?
Yes. I lie. I deceive players for their items. I don't scam, nor would I ever, because that IS cheating. But luring in the wild is NOT cheating because you are given a CLEAR warning you CAN AND MOST LIKELY WILL DIE.
I'm a cheating brat. Already argued why I am not cheating, and I'm anything but spoiled so I'm not a brat. I'm just smarter then you are.

Survival of the fittest. (or in this, more like survivial of the smartest. After all, it helps kill off the idiots ingame. Evolution at its finest.

stop crying about everything. the word is not fair. people lie all the time.. for luring all you do is lie and they come to the wildy and you kill them.. your allowed to kill soem one in the wildy.. so there for you are only lieng.. and you are allowed to lie in runescape.

Before the update I used to lure a lot but not anymore *cough*
It teaches players to learn to aboid the dangers of the life
Luring needed skill and not the 'right way' which is repeteadly clicking a tree and then banking like a zombie
Luring needs inteligence skill patience anyway who cares about other people feelings.

And also killing people and make them suffer causes me a weird pleasure ;p
I love the how the humanity suffers.
Heh oh shame good-bye luring we will miss you.

Yes I'm a heartless person I only care for myself and those who I love
I lure for fun It's not my moneymaking way the way the humanity attraction to a game is not things like fishing firemaking or herbloring, normally it goes for the less destructive things like killing and that things and THAT is how the humanity is and will be forever The humanity prefers to do something in the 'dirty' way because we are like that Let me tell you that I never had any succeful attempts on luring but I go for the people who defend it Because all runescape will get is some overprotectived kids which will fail in their life thanks to runescape and they will regret playing forever

I mean Jagex is encouring people to play Runescape their way [by raising their skills and wasting a lot of time on their game] The real way to play was to just to chat walk around runescape do quests with your friends PK... And now these people got an affective love to their items which ain't sane at all A normal sane runescape player would not care if they lose their stuffs or not, unfairness and fariness in a game is ridiculous a game was intended for purely fun Now these people who lose for example rares by these methods will cry a lot and It's a strong hit on them because they spent too much time on working on an account which is not even their propety is Jagex propety Now that's unfair
The point of all that is just people should stop caring for their pixelated items whcih are propety of Jagex

I care because this game company should be spending less time babysitting, and more time doing other things. they are not our parents, they should not have to watch over everything we do. You learn from your mistakes. That's how life works. If you never get scammed or even something in real life, then you'll eventually throw a fit once it does happen. Best it happen when you're young, when it has less of an impact on your life, in game or not.

It's kind of like the United States Prohibition (Banning of alcohol, and Banning of making / distributing it). The moment that amendment wa sput into place, the amount of alcohol consmuption and distribution increased greatly. Notice how they once again allowed it after some time to think. There will be less luring if the warnings are more clear, and probably more luring if it's not allowed. Some people love to try to get away with rule breaking. It's a habit. You're not a noob if you've lured before. You were a follower of a rule, considering luring was allowed.

no, it wasnt scamming until a couple days ago... so it was making money fair and honestly

I really dc about luring, i almost got lured once by a lvl 103 when he asked me to help him with a clue scroll in the wildy at ardougne lever when i was walking by in full rune g. It is kind of the persons fault if they do go in, but idc because im not stupid enouf to fall for it.

why does everyone think that people lure thier own freinds? in some lures they do but not all... thers more than 1 kind of lure... ive never lured a friend, and would never try because i dont make friends with IDIOTS the easiest moneymaking activity out there ( for me and my friends ), not to mention kinda fun... hanging out with friends luring idiots... i do not lure anymore because i dont wanna get banned... and yes i am very dissapointed in jagex for making the rule

I NOW ITS A FO K 1 N 5 RUBBISH RULE ... I REALY DO OBJECT...
I DONT SEE WHY LURING IS BANNABLE BECAUSE THERE WARNED ON THE SIGN B4 THEY ENTER THE WILDI

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Lol Pauly, you took the extreme example. Very little people think like that lurer, even the other lurers. Like all the other cheaters in the game; they want fast, easy money, bottom-line. That guy seems to be some sort of gothic guy, or going through major teen angst.

In some other games, there is things 2 times worse than luring, not to mention legal and an intended part of gameplay. Before that US law about age, those games were for all ages. Now they are yrs 13+.

Of course, they are not as easy-access as Rs, but a kid 7 yrs old+ with some computer knowledge could download and play it. Pretty much, any kid that is familiar with computers can lie about their age and play ANY game. And pretty much, access to any online content you wouldn't want them to access, unless you put filters. No jokes, my 6 yrs old cousin last summer was talking me about a girl 'bleeding from the vagina' and laughing about it. I was like =O, I couldn't believe he knew those words already. And my cousin is a really normal kid, overprotected by his parents and everything.
So much for protecting the kids from Runescape, we should protect Runescape from the kids. :lol: :?

charlesk

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Sorry I have not had time to participate in the discussion today -- I've been going all out to get an initial version of TruthScape online, which I just did.

It's still in rough form but I wanted to get the content out there: http://www.truthscape.com/html/index.htm

Comments welcomed -- and I'll reply to some posts here either later or tomorrow.

c

Kizar

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I have not had a chance to fully read TruthScape online but the title and front page are a bit worrying - I have problems with things that scream I AM THE TRUTH on the front page. Is what you are putting forward not your opinions (valid though they may be) not the absolute and unalterable TRUTH?

To start a discussion by claiming you speak the truth (and thus by implication that anyone who argues with you is lying) is not a good point to begin on. Many of the points you make are, I suspect, valid - but the overall argument that this adds up to an evil game is not one that I personally agree with. I have seen far worse in many other on-line games than the examples quoted - why the huge downer on RS?

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
this guy is so stupid and one sided. Any online game will start trouble. You take a trouble kid who has a drug user mother father will act out. Due to the fact the computer becomes the parent. Then they act out like the other people in the game. Or there Parents.

I would love to point out Any Doom game. Any Battlefeild or medal of Honor. Can we say Gangs?

You can take any Online game. You will see the same problem.

There was one movie where it use the Light small cars. For racing Guess what. There was alot of death due to the movie. Let take Dukes of Hazzards. You know how many cars was Trash for stupid kids acting out a jump on the Show or Movie. We have people beleave what they see so they react doing it. It all comes down to Parents Not showing there kids Movies and games is Not real life.

Let go back and look at the pictures. We have someone who not showing his name. He also not showing facts. You know going your a noob is not a bad word. When people use @ or $ to write a cussword hay that what people have to report.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
RobWright you are so stupid and one sided. Any online game will start trouble. You take a trouble kid who has a drug user mother father will act out. Due to the fact the computer becomes the parent. Then they act out like the other people in the game. Or there Parents.

I would love to point out Any Doom game. Any Battlefeild or medal of Honor. Can we say Gangs?

There was one movie where it use the Light small cars. For racing Guess what. There was alot of death due to the movie. Let take Dukes of Hazzards. You know how many cars was Trash for stupid kids acting out a jump on the Show or Movie. We have people beleave what they see so they react doing it. It all comes down to Parents Not showing there kids Movies and games is Not real life.

Let go back and look at the pictures. We have someone who not showing his name. He also not showing facts. You know going your a noob is not a bad word. When people use @ or $ to write a cussword hay that what people have to report.

You do know that Rob DIDN'T write this article right? He just posted the link on the forums like he always does.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Fix it. I am use to the cpu page where Most Post on something tomshardware. Where the same person who wrote it. Or the person who agree with Like Core 2 upgrade.

sorry.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
this guy is so stupid and one sided. Any online game will start trouble. You take a trouble kid who has a drug user mother father will act out. Due to the fact the computer becomes the parent. Then they act out like the other people in the game. Or there Parents.

As Hergie pointed out, I didn't write the article -- Charles did -- and I'm just the managing editor here. But I'll throw in a couple things here.

First, Atol, have you played RuneScape? It sounds like you have, but I just wanted to clarify.

And second, you make a good point about Doom or Battlefield or any online game have objectionable content and player behavior in them. The difference with RuneScape, as Charles points out in his editorial, is that this MMO is aimed at kids and is purported to be a safe, educational alternative to other games like Doom and WoW.

Well, Charles is arguing that those claims are misleading. And you yourself are stating that online games are trouble. So the premise isn't why RuneScape is worse than other games -- it's not. The premise is, should free online games like RuneScape be targeted at kids when they have the same problems as more adult-oriented games?

paulyts50

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
I have not had a chance to fully read TruthScape online but the title and front page are a bit worrying - I have problems with things that scream I AM THE TRUTH on the front page. Is what you are putting forward not your opinions (valid though they may be) not the absolute and unalterable TRUTH?

But , it is true nonetheless. What he is putting forth is information which the game makers refuse to speak about or warn people about, even in the parents guide or to discuss on any Runescape forum. The site didn't scream at me, as he never said that, but i do see your point, to a degree. The site is in its infancy, as you may have noted.

To start a discussion by claiming you speak the truth (and thus by implication that anyone who argues with you is lying) is not a good point to begin on. Many of the points you make are, I suspect, valid - but the overall argument that this adds up to an evil game is not one that I personally agree with. I have seen far worse in many other on-line games than the examples quoted - why the huge downer on RS?

My son brought home a Scholastic flyer today. The only offical Runescape guide ever made was listed there...and it said 'for ages 8 and up'. Do any of the games you are speaking of target children? If they do, let me know, and I will campaign as fiercely for change.

charlesk

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I think the author has a few valid points, but for me this statement sums the article up pretty well.

"the negative elements often ruin the good parts, and this sometimes occurs only after a lot of investment of time that goes to waste."

The author is investing his time and not playing a game. a game is a game, and any time playing them is assumed to be "wasted". if you have spent a thousand hours playing and don't want your time to be wasted, then do something useful with your time like helping the homeless or something. when you're ready to kill some time and relax, then log in to a game. if you spend 1000 hrs playing, then thats your decision, just don't expect the game owes you any return on your "investment".

I'm afraid you have completely misinterpreted that comment. I was not talking about myself -- I was referring to kids who spend months learning the game and saving up for items they want, only to lose it all to a scammer. And yes, this happens ALL the time.

c

paulyts50

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Lol Pauly, you took the extreme example. Very little people think like that lurer, even the other lurers. Like all the other cheaters in the game; they want fast, easy money, bottom-line. That guy seems to be some sort of gothic guy, or going through major teen angst.

Ummmi said post(s)....'they' are venting....'all the posts', meaning that this was a sampling of post(s) I found. Yes they are the extreme examples. The ones which caught my eye. There are hundreds of lurers comments, should you wish to see. There are 5 discussions that I found on tipit, 3 on miniclip, and 4 on zybez and besides the luring/rule 2 game update sticky, i found over 100 lure and luring and scam hits in my forum search discussing luring in several forums.

In some other games, there is things 2 times worse than luring, not to mention legal and an intended part of gameplay. Before that US law about age, those games were for all ages. Now they are yrs 13+.

That is exactly why we are trying to tell parents about Runescape so they can know what it entails before letting their children play.

Of course, they are not as easy-access as Rs, but a kid 7 yrs old+ with some computer knowledge could download and play it. Pretty much, any kid that is familiar with computers can lie about their age and play ANY game. And pretty much, access to any online content you wouldn't want them to access, unless you put filters.

That is a very valid point. Thanks for reminding parents that they need to supervise their kids online Your last paragraph, which I didn't paste, brings home that issue.

charlesk

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
It's just a catchy name. :) But I do believe everything that I said factually is true. Clearly some is my opinion and I am sure that that is rather clear..

c

charlesk

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Lol Pauly, you took the extreme example. Very little people think like that lurer, even the other lurers.
Oh?

There's a lengthy discussion of luring on the RS forums right now, and I personally have seen over 100 comments very similar to those.

Here are some I saved for TruthScape:
• “There is a warning sign. If you ignore it .....then it's your own fault.”
• “In my opinion, scamming is not an offense. If people are stupid enough not to check the second trade screen, too bad for them. The same goes for luring.”
• “It's not our fault if those people being lured are stupid enough to not realize that they are being lured...” (Talk about getting things backwards.)
• “Why, Jagex, are you taking sides with STUPID people?”
• “If you don’t read [the Wilderness warning], I will kill you, take your stuff, sell it, and laugh at you for crying over your stuff.. point laugh and make you cry some more.”
• (In response to the question “have you ever felt guilt in committing the acts of luring that you have done?”): “Nope not at all. I even lured a player mod once.”
• “Luring is not scamming it’s a fun way of making money.”
• “I feel better knowing I've made someone cry.”
• “I think you’re taking it a little too seriously. There will always be bad guys, no matter where you are. I’m not trying to condone or try to act like I’m doing good deeds, because I’m not. I recognize that luring is dishonest and often harsh, but this is the path I have chosen.”
• “Luring isn’t scamming. It is lying.” (???)
Runescape isn't for 13+.
Of course, they are not as easy-access as Rs, but a kid 7 yrs old+ with some computer knowledge could download and play it.
With Runescape, the 7-year-old doesn't even need to do that. All he needs is a browser and a net connection. There are kids playing Runescape in libraries and school computer labs because the game is portrayed as being 'safe' and directly marketed at kids.

That's wrong.

c

Status
Not open for further replies.