jaznam

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002
Has anybody found this board as reviewed in: http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q3/020722/intel845g-08.html?

Gigabyte's site just lists a Gigabyte GA-8IGX (no P) and specs are close but not same, esp. the above lacks firwire and extra cables. There were some posts here a few weeks ago but they seem to have misteriously vanished!

Hope someone can clear up the mystery about where to buy the Gigabyte GA-8IGXP in U.S., if not what other board do you like/had experience with from the above article? Thanks!

Dongle_Dave

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
I'm in the same boat. I *really* want to purchase the 8IGXP but can't find it anywhere. I'm tempted to go for the 8IHXP (Rambus), but then sober up when I see how much more $ for what is probably a marginal performance boost. THEN when I see that the 3Ghz chips will require a different mobo, I think I will either hold out for the 8IGXP or maybe settle for the 8IEXP. Hmmm.... How much longer Giga-byte????

Dave

pstate

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
I am been looking around for that board too! What is kind of interesting is that the 81GXP was used in two separate articles in THG, one the DR333 and the other comparing the i845G chipset to the SiS645DX. IMHO I suspect that Gigabyte may be holding back on the mobo so that it can sell more of the 81EXP. I figure once the 81GXP comes out, no one would really want the EXP.

John

porsche

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
already discussed many times in past posts here (sorry, no new info). If the past posts mysteriously "disappeared", check your search settings. the default is search for listings "newer than 1 week". I suspect if you look for older listings, the lost listings will reappear.
I agree with dongle_dave, the 'GX (no P) has only become available in my local store (microcenter) within the past 3 weeks. Maybe it's just too soon for the GXP (when they showed the GXP at the CEBIT show, it was supposed to be out last May!)
I'm also considering the Epox EP-4G4A+. almost the same features except no firewire and not as good a sound chip. also a little slower in performance (but close) and seemingly available and reasonably priced. Also has a good looking tech support section on their webpage where u can contact them. Gigabyte just recommends you contact the retailer for tech support (and they never answered my email question about when the ga-8igxp would become available).

Kill a man, you're a murderer. Kill ten thousand, you're a statesman.

porsche

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
Oh, and i think prices are supposed to drop again sept. 1st. I'll probably start buying around then. Gee, i hope gigabyte gets it in gear

porsche

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
oops again, when i said i think dongle_dave is right, i meant pstate / john :)

geeoff

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2002
Yes, I was very interested in this board too. When I couldn't find it for sale anywhere, I decided to send email to Gigabyte to find out why it was not mentioned on their website any longer. Here is their reply:

>Dear Sir,
>
>8IGXP is only a test model for media. And also as you said
>the 8IGX is similar with it, actually the same performace
>with it. Therefore we only release 8IGX.
>
>The similar function such as IEEE 1394, please refer to
>8IEXP
>http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/8iexp.htm

So there, it 'appears' like they have no intention of marketing the card. Too bad, because I really wanted to get that card. I've decided to settle for a bit less now and go with EXP model...

pstate

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
Thanks for finding that out for us! Perhaps THG may want to auction off their 81GXP :)! However I still can't see why they wouldn't release a 81GXP in the future when warranted by the marketplace. In the meanwhile, the GX isn't a bad option either. Based on the THG review, I would still go with the i845G mobo over the i845E one (i.e. 81EX(P)). It would seem that all that is missing between the GXP and GX is Firewire and RAID on the mobo. Both of which you can buy later.

geeoff

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2002
Yeah, I did seriously consider the GX instead of the GXP but decided that I would rather have the integrated stuff on the M/B for now. I'm not an overclocker and don't have to have the greatest possible speed, so for me the EXP seemed like the better choice.

The way I looked at it, is that if they did come out with the GXP in the future, I would get that and use the EXP M/B to upgrade my wife's or kid's machines.

I'm upgrading from a 600MHz PIII so the EXP looks REALLY good :)

JasonR

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
Regarding Giga's tech support, they get a big fat "D minus" from me. I bought the 8IEXP a couple of weeks ago and had some problems setting up RAID1 with WinXP. The manual flat out SUCKS, as does the included Promise manual (though it was marginally better). Turning to their website for a solution was an exercise in futility, and I'm yet to get an email back from their tech folks.

The problem was eventually recitifed (thanks again Charles) and the board works great, though I was literally within a few hours of returning it to Fry's and switching to an Asus P4B533-E in the hope they might include an informative and accurate manual.

For those who are interested, the problem was a combination of inconsistencies regarding the correct location of some Promise RAID drivers (the manual didn't match with the CD, which didn't match with the readme files either).

That issue aside, everything is just peachy now :)

Cheers,
JasonR

*** Most PC problems can be fixed by using a bigger hammer ***

pstate

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
Well, I'm planning to upgrade from a Pentium 166MHz laptop which was an upgrade from my 25MHz 386 machine. OK so I hold onto my stuff maybe a little too long! :) Good luck everyone!

porsche

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
I'm very curious. to whom did you address your request at Gigabyte? I send the same request to their tech support email address and never got ANY reply.