Strange problems with HP9000 E series -- hard drive

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

Maybe someone can shed some light on this:

As of recently, two of my E series machines have been acting strange. When
the machine boots, I can search for drives and all drives installed
(DDS/CD/HDDs) are recognized. However, when I try to install HP-UX, the
message returned is as follows:

*****

Þfx<
PDC - Processor Dependent Code - Version 1.3
(c) Copyright 1990-1993, Hewlett-Packard Company, All rights reserved
128 MB of memory configured and tested.
Primary boot path: 56/52.6 (dec)
Alternate boot path: 56/52.2 (dec)

------- Main
Menu -------------------------------------------------------------

Command Description
------- -----------

BOot [PRI|ALT|<path>] Boot from specified path
PAth [PRI|ALT] [<path>] Display or modify a path
SEArch [DIsplay|IPL] [<path>] Search for boot devices

COnfiguration menu Displays or sets boot values
INformation menu Displays hardware information
SERvice menu Displays service commands

DIsplay Redisplay the current menu
HElp [<menu>|<command>] Display help for menu or command
RESET Restart the system
-------
Main Menu: Enter command or menu > BO ALT
Interact with IPL (Y or N)?> N

Booting...
Boot IO Dependent Code (IODC) revision 4

HARD Booted.

ISL Revision A.00.43 Apr 12, 2000

ISL booting hpux (;0):INSTALL

Boot
: disc(56/52.2.0;0):INSTALL
9707284 + 1122304 + 691712 start 0x14d568
NOTICE: nfs3_link(): File system was registered at index 4.
Swap device table: (start & size given in 512-byte blocks)
entry 0 - auto-configured on root device; ignored - no room
WARNING: no swap device configured, so dump cannot be defaulted to primary
swap.

WARNING: No dump devices are configured. Dump is disabled.
Starting the STREAMS daemons-phase 1
Create STCP device files
$Revision: vmunix: vw: -proj selectors: CUPI80_BL2000_1108 -c
'Vw
for CUPI80_BL2000_1108 build' -- cupi80_bl2000_1108 'CUPI80_BL2000_1108'
Wed N
ov 8 19:05:38 PST 2000 $
Memory Information:
physical page size = 4096 bytes, logical page size = 4096 bytes
Physical: 131072 Kbytes, lockable: 66928 Kbytes, available: 88548 Kbytes

======= 04/03/74 10:33:31 EDT HP-UX Installation Initialization. (Wed Apr
03
10:33:31 EDT 1974)
@(#) Ignite-UX Revision B.4.4.27
@(#) install/init (opt) $Revision: 10.277 $
* EISA configuration has completed. Following the completion of a
successful HP-UX installation, please check the
"/etc/eisa/config.err"
file for any EISA configuration messages.
* Scanning system for IO devices...
NOTE: There were no disk devices found during the scan. Make sure that
the
destination disks are connected and powered on. You may choose to
scan for more disk drives from next menu on the console.
Would you like to switch source to network? ([y]/n):

*****

When I put the drives in a K class machine, (Seagate ST12400N, ST34573N, and
ST19171N, respectively) everything works.

What am I missing?

Thanks again for all your help!!

liberalfascist

"Matthew Piechotta" <mpiechotta@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Maybe someone can shed some light on this:
>
> As of recently, two of my E series machines have been acting strange. When
> the machine boots, I can search for drives and all drives installed
> (DDS/CD/HDDs) are recognized. However, when I try to install HP-UX, the
> message returned is as follows:
>
> <snip error message>
>
> When I put the drives in a K class machine, (Seagate ST12400N, ST34573N, and
> ST19171N, respectively) everything works.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks again for all your help!!

Can you see the drives when you do a SEA from the BCH menu?

also, have you tried switching the cables over from the K to the E-class?

If these fail, you probably have a failed internal scsi adapter.

LF

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

I've changed the cable over. This did not solve the problem. Granted, the
problem may be a failed scsi controller, but for this to happen to two
different systems, in a span of a few days?

@sourcedirect.com> wrote in message
> "Matthew Piechotta" <mpiechotta@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Maybe someone can shed some light on this:
> >
> > As of recently, two of my E series machines have been acting strange.
When
> > the machine boots, I can search for drives and all drives installed
> > (DDS/CD/HDDs) are recognized. However, when I try to install HP-UX, the
> > message returned is as follows:
> >
> > <snip error message>
> >
> > When I put the drives in a K class machine, (Seagate ST12400N, ST34573N,
and
> > ST19171N, respectively) everything works.
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > Thanks again for all your help!!
> >

> Can you see the drives when you do a SEA from the BCH menu?
>
> also, have you tried switching the cables over from the K to the E-class?
>
> If these fail, you probably have a failed internal scsi adapter.
>
> LF

TRENDING THREADS