Onboard sound probs (7VRXP)

Lisabella

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002
Dear fellows and hopefully there are also more girls here then just me.

I have a question and I really hope somebody can help me out.

I have a Gigabyte GA 7VRXP (2.0 version) mainboard and AMD Athlon XP 1800+.
Somehow my onboard soundcard still isnt working like it should. After installing winXPpro and win98Se more then twice, updating all drivers and all the upgrades that are possible, the sound isnt clear and makes creaking sounds. Not when the pc is doing just one thing, but when the processor has to work a bit harder.

Could someone please tell me if this is a settings prob or is there something wrong with the soundcard on my mainboard and should I send it back to the shop?!

Kotc
Lisabella

PS: excuse my bad english...

pat

Expert
This board use the creative chip, which is maybe not the best onboard sound solution, IMO. As others Creative product, maybe it pull a lot of juice from the PCI bus, which in turn cause crackling.

You can try this small patch:
<A HREF="http://download.viahardware.com/vlatency_v019.zip" target="_new">http://download.viahardware.com/vlatency_v019.zip</A>

It even includes an unstaller, just in case things got worst.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

pat

Expert
Oh...first of all, have you installed the latest 4in1 driver ?

Even if some says that they are not needed with XP, they improve performance and do not break anything else...on my computer at least..., maybe yours will be different!

Lisabella

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002
I did try the 4in1 and also the patch but it doesnt help, not even a bit :(.

I decided to buy a soundcard and disable the onboard one. I dont want a Creative card, scared it will give me the same probs as the onboard one. I was thinking about a Hercules card, its about $20 and its called Gamesurround Muse XL.
Anyone think that will give probs with my mobo?! Or do you suggest another card?!

Thanks for the replies!

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
This card received good reviews and is appreciated here in the community, along with Turtle Beach, Phillips and others. But somehow, people seem to dislike Creative cards. Personally, I had good experience with them. The Hercules will probably do fine. Remember, to remove all old sound drivers and disable onboard sound in the bios.
Good luck!

<font color=red>A platform is not an oil rig.</font color=red>

pat

Expert
I think that Hercules cards pull a lot of juice from the CPU. If I had to buy a sound card, I would try the Santa Cruz turtle beach.

But I'm thinking, maybe your onboard sound share an IRQ with another PCI device, like a modem or network adapter. Try to move your card from one slot to another, if you have any card in it.

Most of the modern hardware can live with IRQ sharing. My sound, video and network are all on the same IRQ and I dont have any problems with that.