Nothing will show up on monitor...

crazydude

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
Hello everyone. I am having a bit of a problem here. A little while back, out of the blue, my computer would not start up, and would make a series of beeps. I took everything out of the computer, examined it, found nothing, and then put it all back. For whatever reason, it would not make the beeping sound anymore, but nothing would show on the monitor, no matter how much or how little stuff I had installed in the system. Eventually, for some unknown reason, it started working for a short while! Then today, I plugged in a printer, and WinXP froze with the "New Hardware Detected" popup in the corner of the screen. Now, when I power on the computer, it is back to the state where nothing shows on the monitor! Help, whats wrong??

THanks,
Andrew Pullin

I would try a different video card. You might be able to borrow one, or order an ultra cheapo 8 meg agp for about $20. Try reseating the old one first. Don't tighten it down for awhile, and see if the problem re-appears. When I have any case/mobo alignment problems, the video card may pop out or make marginal contact in the agp slot.

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Just went through what sounds like the exact same thing. Everything's really intermittent, watch for what looks like video problems like little glitches and garbles when screens change, etc. Replaced the CPU and that cleared things up for about a week and then it all came back. Turned out to be the Power Supply. If the parts aren't getting enough juice, then they will wreak havoc. The two biggest drains.....video card and CPU. Replaced the PS and things have been smooth as silk since then.