Hidden programs (?) running?

I have a Gateway 510 with XP home edition. When a program starts, a "ding" is heard to let the user
know. Lately, I have noticed that "ding" to sound at the oddest times. Is there someway that I can
determine what is/was running on my PC? I have run Norton A/V update and check for viruses. I know
A/V software is NOT 100% perfect. For that reason I would like to determine what is causing the
"ding" to sound when, to my knowledge, it should not.

Can someone direct me to the solution?

Thank you,
Jim Y
9 answers Last reply
More about hidden programs running

    Open Task Manager.
    Ctrl + Shift + Esc

    Start | Help and Support | Type:
    Using Windows Task Manager
    in the box | Click the arrow | Read

    Also .......
    Task Manager Help
    Start | Run | Type: C:\WINDOWS\Help\taskmgr.chm | OK

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:LPEJc.260643$Gx4.85424@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
    Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I have a Gateway 510 with XP home edition. When a program starts, a
    > "ding" is heard to let the user know. Lately, I have noticed that
    > "ding" to sound at the oddest times. Is there someway that I can
    > determine what is/was running on my PC? I have run Norton A/V update
    > and check for viruses. I know A/V software is NOT 100% perfect. For
    > that reason I would like to determine what is causing the "ding" to
    > sound when, to my knowledge, it should not.
    >
    > Can someone direct me to the solution?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Jim Y

    Your best shot is Winternals "Regmon" program.
    It monitors registry activity and opens the registry location.
    Can be a hard road to follow as a lot of activity is normal.

    That worked, but the list was very long on my PC. I have to take time to go over all of the items
    to discover which are supposed to be there..

    Thank you,
    Jim Y

    "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:UBHJc.84436$JR4.50388@attbi_s54...
    > Open Task Manager.
    > Ctrl + Shift + Esc
    >
    > Start | Help and Support | Type:
    > Using Windows Task Manager
    > in the box | Click the arrow | Read
    >
    > Also .......
    > Task Manager Help
    > Start | Run | Type: C:\WINDOWS\Help\taskmgr.chm | OK
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:LPEJc.260643$Gx4.85424@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
    > Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
    > > I have a Gateway 510 with XP home edition. When a program starts, a
    > > "ding" is heard to let the user know. Lately, I have noticed that
    > > "ding" to sound at the oddest times. Is there someway that I can
    > > determine what is/was running on my PC? I have run Norton A/V update
    > > and check for viruses. I know A/V software is NOT 100% perfect. For
    > > that reason I would like to determine what is causing the "ding" to
    > > sound when, to my knowledge, it should not.
    > >
    > > Can someone direct me to the solution?
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > > Jim Y

    Jim,

    These links may be of some help. ;-)

    Service information.

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services

    http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

    http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/xpserv1.htm

    http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

    http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/windowsxp.html

    ================================
    Startup Programs.

    http://www.azpchelp.com/StartupListQ-U.htm

    http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mentor/startup/PENINDEX.HTM

    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.php

    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

    http://www.norris160.org/noel/win_processes.htm

    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:7YXJc.102128$OB3.17057@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
> [...]

    >> in the box | Click the arrow | Read
    >>
    >> Also .......
    >> Task Manager Help
    >> Start | Run | Type: C:\WINDOWS\Help\taskmgr.chm | OK
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:LPEJc.260643$Gx4.85424@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
    >> Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I have a Gateway 510 with XP home edition. When a program starts, a
    >>> "ding" is heard to let the user know. Lately, I have noticed that
    >>> "ding" to sound at the oddest times. Is there someway that I can
    >>> determine what is/was running on my PC? I have run Norton A/V
    >>> update and check for viruses. I know A/V software is NOT 100%
    >>> perfect. For that reason I would like to determine what is causing
    >>> the "ding" to sound when, to my knowledge, it should not.

    I can't find anything running that I recognize as should not be running. It may be the standby
    routine kicking in when I don't move the mouse for a while. I will keep looking though.

    Thank you for the information,
    Jim Y

    "Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
    > That worked, but the list was very long on my PC. I have to take time to go over all of the items
    > to discover which are supposed to be there..
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Jim Y
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:UBHJc.84436$JR4.50388@attbi_s54...
    > > Open Task Manager.
    > > Ctrl + Shift + Esc
    > >
    > > Start | Help and Support | Type:
    > > Using Windows Task Manager
    > > in the box | Click the arrow | Read
    > >
    > > Also .......
    > > Task Manager Help
    > > Start | Run | Type: C:\WINDOWS\Help\taskmgr.chm | OK
    > >
    > > --
    > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > > Wes
    > >
    > > In news:LPEJc.260643$Gx4.85424@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
    > > Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
    > > > I have a Gateway 510 with XP home edition. When a program starts, a
    > > > "ding" is heard to let the user know. Lately, I have noticed that
    > > > "ding" to sound at the oddest times. Is there someway that I can
    > > > determine what is/was running on my PC? I have run Norton A/V update
    > > > and check for viruses. I know A/V software is NOT 100% perfect. For
    > > > that reason I would like to determine what is causing the "ding" to
    > > > sound when, to my knowledge, it should not.
    > > >
    > > > Can someone direct me to the solution?
    > > >
    > > > Thank you,
    > > > Jim Y

    Jim,

    You bet!

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:mpvLc.296096$Gx4.166218@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
    Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I can't find anything running that I recognize as should not be
    > running. It may be the standby routine kicking in when I don't move
    > the mouse for a while. I will keep looking though.
    >
    > Thank you for the information,
    > Jim Y
    >
    > "Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
    >> That worked, but the list was very long on my PC. I have to take
    >> time to go over all of the items to discover which are supposed to
    >> be there..
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> Jim Y

    >>> Open Task Manager.
    >>> Ctrl + Shift + Esc
    >>>
    >>> Start | Help and Support | Type:
    >>> Using Windows Task Manager
    >>> in the box | Click the arrow | Read
    >>>
    >>> Also .......
    >>> Task Manager Help
    >>> Start | Run | Type: C:\WINDOWS\Help\taskmgr.chm | OK
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>> Wes
    >>>
    >>> In news:LPEJc.260643$Gx4.85424@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,