Hidden programs (?) running?

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 16, 2004 3:55:23 AM

I have a Gateway 510 with XP home edition. When a program starts, a "ding" is heard to let the user
know. Lately, I have noticed that "ding" to sound at the oddest times. Is there someway that I can
determine what is/was running on my PC? I have run Norton A/V update and check for viruses. I know
A/V software is NOT 100% perfect. For that reason I would like to determine what is causing the
"ding" to sound when, to my knowledge, it should not.

Can someone direct me to the solution?

Thank you,
Jim Y

More about : hidden programs running

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 7:05:24 AM

Open Task Manager.
Ctrl + Shift + Esc

Start | Help and Support | Type:
Using Windows Task Manager
in the box | Click the arrow | Read

Also .......
Task Manager Help
Start | Run | Type: C:\WINDOWS\Help\taskmgr.chm | OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:LPEJc.260643$Gx4.85424@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
> I have a Gateway 510 with XP home edition. When a program starts, a
> "ding" is heard to let the user know. Lately, I have noticed that
> "ding" to sound at the oddest times. Is there someway that I can
> determine what is/was running on my PC? I have run Norton A/V update
> and check for viruses. I know A/V software is NOT 100% perfect. For
> that reason I would like to determine what is causing the "ding" to
> sound when, to my knowledge, it should not.
>
> Can someone direct me to the solution?
>
> Thank you,
> Jim Y
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 4:21:55 PM

Your best shot is Winternals "Regmon" program.
It monitors registry activity and opens the registry location.
Can be a hard road to follow as a lot of activity is normal.
July 17, 2004 1:41:23 AM

That worked, but the list was very long on my PC. I have to take time to go over all of the items
to discover which are supposed to be there..

Thank you,
Jim Y

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:UBHJc.84436$JR4.50388@attbi_s54...
> Open Task Manager.
> Ctrl + Shift + Esc
>
> Start | Help and Support | Type:
> Using Windows Task Manager
> in the box | Click the arrow | Read
>
> Also .......
> Task Manager Help
> Start | Run | Type: C:\WINDOWS\Help\taskmgr.chm | OK
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:LPEJc.260643$Gx4.85424@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
> Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
> > I have a Gateway 510 with XP home edition. When a program starts, a
> > "ding" is heard to let the user know. Lately, I have noticed that
> > "ding" to sound at the oddest times. Is there someway that I can
> > determine what is/was running on my PC? I have run Norton A/V update
> > and check for viruses. I know A/V software is NOT 100% perfect. For
> > that reason I would like to determine what is causing the "ding" to
> > sound when, to my knowledge, it should not.
> >
> > Can someone direct me to the solution?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Jim Y
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 3:25:02 AM

Jim,

These links may be of some help. ;-)

Service information.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/xpserv1.htm

http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/windowsxp.html

================================
Startup Programs.

http://www.azpchelp.com/StartupListQ-U.htm

http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mentor/startup/PENINDEX....

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full...

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist....

http://www.norris160.org/noel/win_processes.htm

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:7YXJc.102128$OB3.17057@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
> That worked, but the list was very long on my PC. I have to take
> time to go over all of the items to discover which are supposed to be
> there..
>
> Thank you,
> Jim Y

>> Open Task Manager.
>> Ctrl + Shift + Esc
>>
>> Start | Help and Support | Type:
>> Using Windows Task Manager
>> in the box | Click the arrow | Read
>>
>> Also .......
>> Task Manager Help
>> Start | Run | Type: C:\WINDOWS\Help\taskmgr.chm | OK
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:LPEJc.260643$Gx4.85424@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
>> Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> I have a Gateway 510 with XP home edition. When a program starts, a
>>> "ding" is heard to let the user know. Lately, I have noticed that
>>> "ding" to sound at the oddest times. Is there someway that I can
>>> determine what is/was running on my PC? I have run Norton A/V
>>> update and check for viruses. I know A/V software is NOT 100%
>>> perfect. For that reason I would like to determine what is causing
>>> the "ding" to sound when, to my knowledge, it should not.
>>>
>>> Can someone direct me to the solution?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Jim Y
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 3:28:33 AM

Jim,

These links may be of some help. ;-)

Service information.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/xpserv1.htm

http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/windowsxp.html

================================
Startup Programs.

http://www.azpchelp.com/StartupListQ-U.htm

http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mentor/startup/PENINDEX....

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full...

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist....

http://www.norris160.org/noel/win_processes.htm

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:7YXJc.102128$OB3.17057@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
> That worked, but the list was very long on my PC. I have to take
> time to go over all of the items to discover which are supposed to be
> there..
>
> Thank you,
> Jim Y

>> Open Task Manager.
>> Ctrl + Shift + Esc
>>
>> Start | Help and Support | Type:
>> Using Windows Task Manager
>> in the box | Click the arrow | Read
>>
>> Also .......
>> Task Manager Help
>> Start | Run | Type: C:\WINDOWS\Help\taskmgr.chm | OK
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:LPEJc.260643$Gx4.85424@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
>> Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> I have a Gateway 510 with XP home edition. When a program starts, a
>>> "ding" is heard to let the user know. Lately, I have noticed that
>>> "ding" to sound at the oddest times. Is there someway that I can
>>> determine what is/was running on my PC? I have run Norton A/V
>>> update and check for viruses. I know A/V software is NOT 100%
>>> perfect. For that reason I would like to determine what is causing
>>> the "ding" to sound when, to my knowledge, it should not.
>>>
>>> Can someone direct me to the solution?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Jim Y
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 3:36:24 AM

Jim,

These links may be of some help. ;-)

Service information.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/xpserv1.htm

http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/windowsxp.html

================================
Startup Programs.

http://www.azpchelp.com/StartupListQ-U.htm

http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mentor/startup/PENINDEX....

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full...

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist....

http://www.norris160.org/noel/win_processes.htm

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:7YXJc.102128$OB3.17057@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
> That worked, but the list was very long on my PC. I have to take
> time to go over all of the items to discover which are supposed to be
> there..
>
> Thank you,
> Jim Y

>> Open Task Manager.
>> Ctrl + Shift + Esc
>>
>> Start | Help and Support | Type:
>> Using Windows Task Manager
>> in the box | Click the arrow | Read
>>
>> Also .......
>> Task Manager Help
>> Start | Run | Type: C:\WINDOWS\Help\taskmgr.chm | OK
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:LPEJc.260643$Gx4.85424@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
>> Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> I have a Gateway 510 with XP home edition. When a program starts, a
>>> "ding" is heard to let the user know. Lately, I have noticed that
>>> "ding" to sound at the oddest times. Is there someway that I can
>>> determine what is/was running on my PC? I have run Norton A/V
>>> update and check for viruses. I know A/V software is NOT 100%
>>> perfect. For that reason I would like to determine what is causing
>>> the "ding" to sound when, to my knowledge, it should not.
>>>
>>> Can someone direct me to the solution?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Jim Y
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 3:51:55 AM

Jim,

These links may be of some help. ;-)

Service information.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/xpserv1.htm

http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/windowsxp.html

================================
Startup Programs.

http://www.azpchelp.com/StartupListQ-U.htm

http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mentor/startup/PENINDEX....

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full...

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist....

http://www.norris160.org/noel/win_processes.htm

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:7YXJc.102128$OB3.17057@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
> That worked, but the list was very long on my PC. I have to take
> time to go over all of the items to discover which are supposed to be
> there..
>
> Thank you,
> Jim Y

>> Open Task Manager.
>> Ctrl + Shift + Esc
>>
>> Start | Help and Support | Type:
>> Using Windows Task Manager
>> in the box | Click the arrow | Read
>>
>> Also .......
>> Task Manager Help
>> Start | Run | Type: C:\WINDOWS\Help\taskmgr.chm | OK
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:LPEJc.260643$Gx4.85424@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
>> Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> I have a Gateway 510 with XP home edition. When a program starts, a
>>> "ding" is heard to let the user know. Lately, I have noticed that
>>> "ding" to sound at the oddest times. Is there someway that I can
>>> determine what is/was running on my PC? I have run Norton A/V
>>> update and check for viruses. I know A/V software is NOT 100%
>>> perfect. For that reason I would like to determine what is causing
>>> the "ding" to sound when, to my knowledge, it should not.
>>>
>>> Can someone direct me to the solution?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Jim Y
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 6:50:58 PM

I can't find anything running that I recognize as should not be running. It may be the standby
routine kicking in when I don't move the mouse for a while. I will keep looking though.

Thank you for the information,
Jim Y

"Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
> That worked, but the list was very long on my PC. I have to take time to go over all of the items
> to discover which are supposed to be there..
>
> Thank you,
> Jim Y
>
> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:UBHJc.84436$JR4.50388@attbi_s54...
> > Open Task Manager.
> > Ctrl + Shift + Esc
> >
> > Start | Help and Support | Type:
> > Using Windows Task Manager
> > in the box | Click the arrow | Read
> >
> > Also .......
> > Task Manager Help
> > Start | Run | Type: C:\WINDOWS\Help\taskmgr.chm | OK
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> > Wes
> >
> > In news:LPEJc.260643$Gx4.85424@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
> > Jim Y <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAMatt.net> hunted and pecked:
> > > I have a Gateway 510 with XP home edition. When a program starts, a
> > > "ding" is heard to let the user know. Lately, I have noticed that
> > > "ding" to sound at the oddest times. Is there someway that I can
> > > determine what is/was running on my PC? I have run Norton A/V update
> > > and check for viruses. I know A/V software is NOT 100% perfect. For
> > > that reason I would like to determine what is causing the "ding" to
> > > sound when, to my knowledge, it should not.
> > >
> > > Can someone direct me to the solution?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Jim Y

Anonymous