Not easy to drag & drop to CD-RW in XP?

Just got my pc with XP and have found it difficult to do simple copying
or even drag & drop files to a CD-R/W. It was a lot easier with W98
under Easy CD. Now I find that it takes 3 steps (1) initiate the CD
Copy wizard, (2) copy the files into memory, then (3) direct that the
files be written to disc.

Is there a more efficient way to do this? I haven't even found the
command to "format" the R/W so I assume it doesn't happen under XP? Does
drag & drop from the hdd to the CD-R/W even work under XP or do I have
to buy a 3rd party app to do this?

--
Paul R
-------------------------------

Q. "Is there a more efficient way to do this?"

A. Right-click on the file you wish to record and select your
CD-RW Drive.

1. Open XP's "Help and Support" program.
2. In the Search box type: ERASE , and hit enter.
3. Click on the task titled: Erase files from a CD.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

Paul R wrote:
> Just got my pc with XP and have found it difficult to do simple
> copying or even drag & drop files to a CD-R/W. It was a lot easier
> with W98 under Easy CD. Now I find that it takes 3 steps (1)
> initiate the CD Copy wizard, (2) copy the files into memory, then (3)
> direct that the files be written to disc.
>
> Is there a more efficient way to do this? I haven't even found the
> command to "format" the R/W so I assume it doesn't happen under XP?
> Does drag & drop from the hdd to the CD-R/W even work under XP or do
> I have to buy a 3rd party app to do this?

Yes.
Buy a third party app.
What you want is a CD to be like a floppy. XP won't do this..

Windows XP CD-RW writing is not as friendly as some external applications
(Nero, Roxio, etc) and is limited. For example, while you can drag-drop
files and then select to burn the CD or CD-RW.. Once this is done you cannot
ADD to the CD-RW without erasing the whole thing first.

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4800/rh4892.htm

If you want to read up on what you can and cannot do with CD/CD-RWs in XP
(natively) - I suggest here:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

--
<- Shenan ->

wrote in news:RtIJc.11815$kK.2751@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
> Just got my pc with XP and have found it difficult to do simple
> copying or even drag & drop files to a CD-R/W. It was a lot easier
> with W98 under Easy CD. Now I find that it takes 3 steps (1)
> initiate the CD Copy wizard, (2) copy the files into memory, then (3)
> direct that the files be written to disc.
>
> Is there a more efficient way to do this? I haven't even found the
> command to "format" the R/W so I assume it doesn't happen under XP?
> Does drag & drop from the hdd to the CD-R/W even work under XP or do
> I have to buy a 3rd party app to do this?

You sure it wasn't DirectCD (included with Easy CD) that you were using
to provide UDF (Universal Data Format) packet writing to the CD-R[W]
which makes it appears like a big floppy? Windows XP doesn't support
packet writing. You will need 3rd party software for that, like
DirectCD (from Roxio's Easy CD) or InCD (from Ahead's Nero).