How do you change a missing shortcut?

Whenever i go to put pictures onto a Cd from "my pictures" under picture tasks, i get a little window that says
-copy here
-move here
-create shortcuts here
-cancel
now what the heck does that mean, also when i click on create shortcuts it says "missing shortcut" how do i change the shortcut so that way it goes to the right drive. Please help if you can!!!! i need it alot! thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about change missing shortcut

    by the way this is for Windows XP professional

    "Danielle" wrote:

    > Whenever i go to put pictures onto a Cd from "my pictures" under picture tasks, i get a little window that says
    > -copy here
    > -move here
    > -create shortcuts here
    > -cancel
    > now what the heck does that mean, also when i click on create shortcuts it says "missing shortcut" how do i change the shortcut so that way it goes to the right drive. Please help if you can!!!! i need it alot! thanks!

    Hi Danielle,

    Do not use the "create shortcut" for that task. A shortcut is nothing more
    than a quick link to the actual location of a file, folder, or network
    point. It is part of the explorer shell commands, so that is why it shows up
    there, but you would want to use the "copy here" option.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Danielle" <Danielle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Whenever i go to put pictures onto a Cd from "my pictures" under picture
    tasks, i get a little window that says
    > -copy here
    > -move here
    > -create shortcuts here
    > -cancel
    > now what the heck does that mean, also when i click on create shortcuts it
    says "missing shortcut" how do i change the shortcut so that way it goes to
    the right drive. Please help if you can!!!! i need it alot! thanks!

    You put files on a CD, not shortcuts to files that are stored elsewhere.

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Danielle" <Danielle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Whenever i go to put pictures onto a Cd from "my pictures" under picture
    > tasks, i get a little window that says
    > -copy here
    > -move here
    > -create shortcuts here
    > -cancel
    > now what the heck does that mean, also when i click on create shortcuts it
    > says "missing shortcut" how do i change the shortcut so that way it goes
    > to the right drive. Please help if you can!!!! i need it alot! thanks!

    Yes i know but no matter which one i push whether its copy here, move here or whatever nothing happens and i am so confused. I tried it at my friends house who has the exact same thing as me and when you press copy all files to cd it just starts copying to the cd.

    "Richard Urban" wrote:

    > You put files on a CD, not shortcuts to files that are stored elsewhere.
    >
    > --
    > Regards:
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >

    > "Danielle" <Danielle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Whenever i go to put pictures onto a Cd from "my pictures" under picture
    > > tasks, i get a little window that says
    > > -copy here
    > > -move here
    > > -create shortcuts here
    > > -cancel
    > > now what the heck does that mean, also when i click on create shortcuts it
    > > says "missing shortcut" how do i change the shortcut so that way it goes
    > > to the right drive. Please help if you can!!!! i need it alot! thanks!

    look at richard urbans because i responded to that one and meant to respond to yours...

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Danielle,
    >
    > Do not use the "create shortcut" for that task. A shortcut is nothing more
    > than a quick link to the actual location of a file, folder, or network
    > point. It is part of the explorer shell commands, so that is why it shows up
    > there, but you would want to use the "copy here" option.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Danielle" <Danielle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Whenever i go to put pictures onto a Cd from "my pictures" under picture
    > tasks, i get a little window that says
    > > -copy here
    > > -move here
    > > -create shortcuts here
    > > -cancel
    > > now what the heck does that mean, also when i click on create shortcuts it
    > says "missing shortcut" how do i change the shortcut so that way it goes to
    > the right drive. Please help if you can!!!! i need it alot! thanks!

    Hi Danielle,

    Start here:

    HOW TO: Copy Information to a CD in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306524

    There is a section on troubleshooting.

    --

    > look at richard urbans because i responded to that one and meant to
    respond to yours...

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Danielle,
    > >
    > > Do not use the "create shortcut" for that task. A shortcut is nothing
    more
    > > than a quick link to the actual location of a file, folder, or network
    > > point. It is part of the explorer shell commands, so that is why it
    shows up
    > > there, but you would want to use the "copy here" option.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "Danielle" <Danielle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Whenever i go to put pictures onto a Cd from "my pictures" under
    picture
    > > tasks, i get a little window that says
    > > > -copy here
    > > > -move here
    > > > -create shortcuts here
    > > > -cancel
    > > > now what the heck does that mean, also when i click on create
    shortcuts it
    > > says "missing shortcut" how do i change the shortcut so that way it
    goes to
    > > the right drive. Please help if you can!!!! i need it alot! thanks!

Microsoft Windows XP