assembling a new CPU

sentme_mail

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2002
Hi, need your advice to assemble a new PC:

1) Should i buy a 300W or 400W power supply?

2) Recommend me a good motherboard and CPU (Either AMD or Intel)

3) Recommend me a good Video card

4) Recommend me a good sound card

5) What type of RAM to buy?

Thanks

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
You didn't tell us what your budget is and what you are aiming for(gaming, office, budget...) but here are some recommendations anyways

1)It would depend on what type of processor and how many components(hard drives, cd roms drives, etc.) to see what type of power supply you need. If you are planning to overclock, having alot of components or just want o play it safe get a 400w.

2)You have to decide what you are getting first xp or p4

3)Geforce 4 ti 4200 or the Ati Radeon 8500/LE

4)Depends on how nice you want the sound quality to be, sometimes you can just get by with onboard sound

5)Try to buy brand name(Crucial, Corsair, Samsung, etc.) They will be more problem free than generic brands

sentme_mail

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2002
the new PC will be used at home.
So it should be able to:
- play 3D games smoothly
- multi boot for different OSs

I am considerating AMD XP 2200+ chip, is it worth the money to buy compared to XP 1800 ??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, yeh, right, it works equally poor in all operating systems. In fact, every driver for the Live has bugs, regardless of OS.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I use SB Live for 4 years and didnot have any problem with it. I use the sound card with 5 motherboards and Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP, Linux, and Solaris.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In reply to:
In fact, every driver for the Live has bugs, regardless of OS.

The driver for Linux is not written by Creative but by open source community. I serious doult that driver have any bugs after 4 year of refinement.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Forgot about the linux community and their dedication to keeping the big guys on top (Creative and nVidia).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
1. Buy 350W or better good brand power supplu.

2. Recommended CPU : Athlon XP 1800+ or faster
Motherboard : ASUS A7N266-C

3. MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 w/ 64 MB or 128 MB VRAM

4. Integrated nForce audio

5. PC2100 CL2.0 or CL2.5 DDR RAM

If you can wait for nForce2, wait. And then equip it with PC2700 CL2.0 DDR RAM

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
1) Get an Enermax PSU, they're great quality. I'd suggest at least 350w+, getting a good PSU is always a good investment.

2) This you should research yourself, AMD vs Intel is a very heated subject and you should go find out for yourself depending on you needs and budget. Most opinions you will get are biased (My opinion would be get a P4)

3) I'd suggest a GF4 just because the price wll be dropping soon cuz of the Radeon 9700. I'd suggest a Ti4600 rather than a Ti4200 but once again do research. Totally depends on your needs.

Honestly, go do more research rather listening to other people. IT won't help you to get someone elses's dream computer =)

Cooj

I am ignorant no more!

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
1) Get an Enermax PSU, they're great quality. I'd suggest at least 350w+, getting a good PSU is always a good investment.

2) This you should research yourself, AMD vs Intel is a very heated subject and you should go find out for yourself depending on you needs and budget. Most opinions you will get are biased (My opinion would be get a P4)

3) I'd suggest a GF4 just because the price wll be dropping soon cuz of the Radeon 9700. I'd suggest a Ti4600 rather than a Ti4200 but once again do research. Totally depends on your needs.

Honestly, go do more research rather listening to other people. IT won't help you to get someone elses's dream computer =)

Cooj

I am ignorant no more!

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002

Cooj

I am ignorant no more!

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002

Cooj

I am ignorant no more!

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Try searching THG forums and articles.

There's a huge article on a whole bunch of different GF4's right here at THG.

You should try and look around before asking so many redundant questions.

Cooj

I am ignorant no more!