MSI K7N420PRO

athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
i've been looking at mobo's for a new system. i was looking at the MSI kt3 ulra aru but at a computer show this morning i found out that it has been discontinued. however, they had the K7N420PRO mobo there and what i saw made thing of getting one. i have a few questions about it though.
1. on the web site it says supports up to athlon 1800+, i have a 2000+. is this ok?
2. it has a nvida video card, but i am looking to buy a ati 9700 pro. does anyone know of problems with an ati card even though the video is disabled?
3. how overclockable is this mobo?

thanks in advance

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1. Faster CPU's should not be a problem at all.
2. Their aren't any problems I know of, but if you want you can get one without the onboard video, Abit makes a very similar board with the non-video chipset.
3. You'll get it to aroung 150MHz FSB. If you want more, I suggest the nForce2 chipset.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I used that board to build a system for someone, using the integrated graphics. Thing went together great and installed XP perfectly, and didn't have a single problem for the day or two I was installing stuff and getting it ready. My computer uses another nForce board, the Asus A7N-266C without the onboard video. It also works great, as long as Win XP or 2000 is used. Do not, I repeat do not, use an nForce board with Win98. The windows audio drivers are bugged and really crappy, and the fix for it doesn't work.

I didn't try overclocking the MSI board, but my Asus board gets up to 158 FSB with no added cooling. I haven't tried anything higher, so it might even go higher than that. The cool thing about the Asus Board is that no matter what you raise the FSB to it always keeps the PCI/AGP clocks at spec speeds (33/66 mHz) so you don't have to worry about your add-in cards muffing up your top FSB speed. You'll be pleased going with an nForce solution.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."