software installation problems

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have been trying to install some software on my computer and I keep getting the following message

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT Tht system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "Close" to terminate the application.

One of the programs has been installed previously but when I tried using it after a week or so this message keeps coming up, The other software I want to install is new and it is compatible but the same mesage comes up whenever I try to install it, any ideas why this is and what I could do to sort it out so I can install the software? also I have managed to install another different program, a game for my son and that has installed fine.
Thanks.

G

Hi !

Could you tell me what kind of software is giving you this problem because it may be required to either be compatible with the DOS environment or if it should work with your operatins system, it probably requires association with other system files which the software is not able to achieve .

Do let us now about the name of that software .

"BarnsleyKatie" wrote:

> I have been trying to install some software on my computer and I keep getting the following message
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT Tht system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "Close" to terminate the application.
>
> One of the programs has been installed previously but when I tried using it after a week or so this message keeps coming up, The other software I want to install is new and it is compatible but the same mesage comes up whenever I try to install it, any ideas why this is and what I could do to sort it out so I can install the software? also I have managed to install another different program, a game for my son and that has installed fine.
> Thanks.

G

"BarnsleyKatie" <BarnsleyKatie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have been trying to install some software on my computer and I keep getting the following message
>
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT Tht system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "Close" to terminate the application.

See if this helps: "Troubleshooting MS-DOS-Based Programs in Windows"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314106).

--
(tm)

G

Hi, the software programmes are The BMA Family Health Encylopaedia which when the install screen comes on gives the version of windows it is to be installed on and the other is one I had given from PC Genius magazine called At The Circus, it's an activity game for children, both these programmes bring the same message up when I try and install them.

"Shreyans Haran" wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Could you tell me what kind of software is giving you this problem because it may be required to either be compatible with the DOS environment or if it should work with your operatins system, it probably requires association with other system files which the software is not able to achieve .
>
> Do let us now about the name of that software .
>
>
> "BarnsleyKatie" wrote:
>
> > I have been trying to install some software on my computer and I keep getting the following message
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT Tht system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "Close" to terminate the application.
> >
> > One of the programs has been installed previously but when I tried using it after a week or so this message keeps coming up, The other software I want to install is new and it is compatible but the same mesage comes up whenever I try to install it, any ideas why this is and what I could do to sort it out so I can install the software? also I have managed to install another different program, a game for my son and that has installed fine.
> > Thanks.

G

Hi !

The Problem seems to be with the software. If you are looking out for another alternative, I would suggest you to go for Britannica or Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia.

The software may also not be a problem. Just get another copy of the same cd, there can be a possiblity that the cd would have certain retrieval of information problems and the new cd may help you install the software successfully.

This can also prove effective sometimes. Even I have come across ceratin softwares like these.

Do let us know if still you have problems.

Shreyans.

shreyans_haran@hotmail.com

"BarnsleyKatie" wrote:

> Hi, the software programmes are The BMA Family Health Encylopaedia which when the install screen comes on gives the version of windows it is to be installed on and the other is one I had given from PC Genius magazine called At The Circus, it's an activity game for children, both these programmes bring the same message up when I try and install them.
>
> "Shreyans Haran" wrote:
>
> > Hi !
> >
> > Could you tell me what kind of software is giving you this problem because it may be required to either be compatible with the DOS environment or if it should work with your operatins system, it probably requires association with other system files which the software is not able to achieve .
> >
> > Do let us now about the name of that software .
> >
> >
> > "BarnsleyKatie" wrote:
> >
> > > I have been trying to install some software on my computer and I keep getting the following message
> > >
> > > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT Tht system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "Close" to terminate the application.
> > >
> > > One of the programs has been installed previously but when I tried using it after a week or so this message keeps coming up, The other software I want to install is new and it is compatible but the same mesage comes up whenever I try to install it, any ideas why this is and what I could do to sort it out so I can install the software? also I have managed to install another different program, a game for my son and that has installed fine.
> > > Thanks.

G

Hi !

The Problem seems to be with the software. If you are looking out for another alternative, I would suggest you to go for Britannica or Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia.

The software may also not be a problem. Just get another copy of the same cd, there can be a possiblity that the cd would have certain retrieval of information problems and the new cd may help you install the software successfully.

This can also prove effective sometimes. Even I have come across ceratin softwares like these.

Shreyans.

"BarnsleyKatie" wrote:

> Hi, the software programmes are The BMA Family Health Encylopaedia which when the install screen comes on gives the version of windows it is to be installed on and the other is one I had given from PC Genius magazine called At The Circus, it's an activity game for children, both these programmes bring the same message up when I try and install them.
>
>
> > Hi !
> >
> > Could you tell me what kind of software is giving you this problem because it may be required to either be compatible with the DOS environment or if it should work with your operatins system, it probably requires association with other system files which the software is not able to achieve .
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > I have been trying to install some software on my computer and I keep getting the following message
> > >
> > > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT Tht system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "Close" to terminate the application.
> > >
> > > One of the programs has been installed previously but when I tried using it after a week or so this message keeps coming up, The other software I want to install is new and it is compatible but the same mesage comes up whenever I try to install it, any ideas why this is and what I could do to sort it out so I can install the software? also I have managed to install another different program, a game for my son and that has installed fine.
> > > Thanks.

G

Hi !

Shreyans.

"BarnsleyKatie" wrote:

>
>
> > Hi !
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > Thanks.

G

Thanks for your help, I'm having the same problem with other software I had installed previously, I already have encarta installed, this problem only started about 4 weeks or so ago and I am still having the same problem, I have been advised to try troubleshooting the MS-DOS based programs in win xp from a link to the microsoft knowledge base, I am going to try this and will see how things go.

"Shreyans Haran" wrote:

> Hi !
>
> The Problem seems to be with the software. If you are looking out for another alternative, I would suggest you to go for Britannica or Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia.
>
> The software may also not be a problem. Just get another copy of the same cd, there can be a possiblity that the cd would have certain retrieval of information problems and the new cd may help you install the software successfully.
>
> This can also prove effective sometimes. Even I have come across ceratin softwares like these.
>
> Do let us know if still you have problems.
>
> Shreyans.
>
> shreyans_haran@hotmail.com
>
>
> "BarnsleyKatie" wrote:
>
> > Hi, the software programmes are The BMA Family Health Encylopaedia which when the install screen comes on gives the version of windows it is to be installed on and the other is one I had given from PC Genius magazine called At The Circus, it's an activity game for children, both these programmes bring the same message up when I try and install them.
> >
> > "Shreyans Haran" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi !
> > >
> > > Could you tell me what kind of software is giving you this problem because it may be required to either be compatible with the DOS environment or if it should work with your operatins system, it probably requires association with other system files which the software is not able to achieve .
> > >
> > > Do let us now about the name of that software .
> > >
> > >
> > > "BarnsleyKatie" wrote:
> > >
> > > > I have been trying to install some software on my computer and I keep getting the following message
> > > >
> > > > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT Tht system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "Close" to terminate the application.
> > > >
> > > > One of the programs has been installed previously but when I tried using it after a week or so this message keeps coming up, The other software I want to install is new and it is compatible but the same mesage comes up whenever I try to install it, any ideas why this is and what I could do to sort it out so I can install the software? also I have managed to install another different program, a game for my son and that has installed fine.
> > > > Thanks.