Emergency Mode Question

Last response: in Network Providers
May 9, 2004 5:27:52 AM

Some background...
As I understand it "emergency mode" allows the phone to bypass the
usuall PRL list and connect with any available compatible service
provider. With my Audiovox 9500 handset, the setting allows any three
numbers to be dialed even if the handset is locked. I have 911 and
*911 programmed in for emergency numbers.

I also programmed my home phone into the emergency mode section,
(without the 1 prefix) in case my handset is lost and the keypad is
locked, the finder could still call my home, which is Dymo Labled on
the outside of the phone. I usually call my home with speed dial
(including the 1 prefix). When the 1 is added the number is not
recognized as an emergency number. When I called my home accidently
(without the 1) the handset into "emergency mode".

Question...can I designate any number, say AAA Road Service, an an
emergency number and get the phone to bypass usual network PRL
constraints and search for any available carrier? Does the handset
control "emergency mode" when it called my home (or any other number
designated) or will the network only allow 911/611 (0?) calls to
bypass the PRL, despite the handset "emergency mode" screen display
and apparent emergency mode lock?

I don't plan on abusing this feature, since I'm sure some kind of flag
comes up somewhere, but it sure would be useful to get the handset to
connect to any available carrier, in case of car breakdown or other
urgent kind of situation, if Verizon showed no service.

-
Thanks,
David
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 10:17:46 PM

In article <e1705cb3.0405090027.35b360f4@posting.google.com>,
David L <davidlind@my-deja.com> wrote:
<< SNIP >>
>Question...can I designate any number, say AAA Road Service, an an
>emergency number and get the phone to bypass usual network PRL
>constraints and search for any available carrier? Does the handset
>control "emergency mode" when it called my home (or any other number
>designated) or will the network only allow 911/611 (0?) calls to
>bypass the PRL, despite the handset "emergency mode" screen display
>and apparent emergency mode lock?

I don't think the network knows anything about "emergency mode" in the
phone. All that the network knows is that calls to 911 are special and
must be put through regardless of the account status of the phone. I
would think that behavior in "emergency mode" depends on the phone's
software. Usually, "emergency mode" puts the call on whatever network
it finds first, and you could well end up on some oddball network, where
a non-911 call may not go through, or you may see a big roaming charge.
Whatever network you end up on just looks at your phone's number and
the number you are trying to call, and handles it in the usual way.
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 10:17:47 PM

CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote:
> a non-911 call may not go through, or you may see a big roaming charge.

um... roaming charges for 911 calls? The calls are supposed to be put through
for free no matter which carrier the handset happens to latch onto.

May 10, 2004 10:17:48 PM

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote:
>> a non-911 call may not go through, or you may see a big roaming
>> charge.
>
> um... roaming charges for 911 calls? The calls are supposed to be put
> through for free no matter which carrier the handset happens to latch
> onto.

You may want to try reading and understanding what was typed.. it
specifically says "a non-911 call"
Why in the world would you post what you did? Gaaaackk.. you sound like one
of those useless always wrong Verizon CS agents!
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 10:48:56 PM

Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>> CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote:
>>> a non-911 call may not go through, or you may see a big roaming
>>> charge.
>>
>> um... roaming charges for 911 calls? The calls are supposed to be put
>> through for free no matter which carrier the handset happens to latch
>> onto.
>
> You may want to try reading and understanding what was typed.. it
> specifically says "a non-911 call"

Thanks... I'm sorry

> Why in the world would you post what you did? Gaaaackk.. you sound like one
> of those useless always wrong Verizon CS agents!

No, I married a woman who had two kids already but we just had *my* first
baby... she's six weeks old and I was taking care of her today while the
wifey was at work. My brain was prioritizing "taking care of the baby" over
"reading comprehension in the newsgroups."

I am *so* drained...

May 10, 2004 10:48:57 PM

> Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> um... roaming charges for 911 calls? The calls are supposed to be
>>> put through for free no matter which carrier the handset happens to
>>> latch onto.
>>
>> You may want to try reading and understanding what was typed.. it
>> specifically says "a non-911 call"
>
> Thanks... I'm sorry
>
>> Why in the world would you post what you did? Gaaaackk.. you sound
>> like one of those useless always wrong Verizon CS agents!
>
> No, I married a woman who had two kids already but we just had *my*
> first baby... she's six weeks old and I was taking care of her today
> while the wifey was at work. My brain was prioritizing "taking care
> of the baby" over "reading comprehension in the newsgroups."
>
> I am *so* drained...

Ahhh.. the benefits of being single and in Las Vegas. Hopefully I had fun :)

Seriously though, congrats on the kid, hope it is better behaved than I was
at about two :)  (That's my backhanded way of wishing you luck)
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:29:44 PM

Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> No, I married a woman who had two kids already but we just had *my*
>> first baby... she's six weeks old and I was taking care of her today
>> while the wifey was at work. My brain was prioritizing "taking care
>> of the baby" over "reading comprehension in the newsgroups."
>>
>> I am *so* drained...
>
> Ahhh.. the benefits of being single and in Las Vegas. Hopefully I had fun :)

You really ought to head down to Apple Valley and say hello. Three hours
straight down Interstate 15. It's only three hours because there are a couple
major construction projects south of the state line that'll slow you down -
normally it should be about 2 1/2. One warning: don't come down here on
Sunday, as you'll be stuck in tons of traffic. There are so many people
travelling to Las Vegas on the weekends that Nevada actually gave California
$23 million about five years ago, to make improvements and repairs to I-15,
since people were using the highway to go to Vegas and California wasn't
getting any tax revenue from those people.

> Seriously though, congrats on the kid, hope it is better behaved than I was
> at about two :)  (That's my backhanded way of wishing you luck)

uh

Thanks ;)

http://stevesobol.com/itsagirl/ has details about the new arrival.

May 12, 2004 7:25:50 AM

On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:48:56 -0500, Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

>> Why in the world would you post what you did? Gaaaackk.. you sound like one
>> of those useless always wrong Verizon CS agents!
>
>No, I married a woman who had two kids already but we just had *my* first
>baby... she's six weeks old and I was taking care of her today while the
>wifey was at work. My brain was prioritizing "taking care of the baby" over
>"reading comprehension in the newsgroups."
>
>I am *so* drained...

Haaave fuuuuunnnnn...............

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"I've only scratched the iceberg." - Andre Agassi, 7/9/1990, on his career
so far
!