New build - does not POST

Budgie39

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2002
I recently purchased a Gigabyte (GA-7ZXE) motherboard with a Duron 1.2 mhz CPU (with heatsink and fan). I have two sticks of PC133 SDRAM, an Inno3D Tornado graphics card, 300W PSU. The problem is, I have built the system but it refuses to boot. I get the fans come on but no POST and no monitor (I know the monitor works OK). One strange thing is the NumLock, CapsLock and ScrollLock lights light up on the keyboard but do not go off.
I have tried a PCI graphics card in as well but still nothing. I have also tried three other known working sets of RAM but still no POST and I've tried two other power supplies which I know work OK. The FSB of the CPU is 200Mhz and the CPU clock speed on the baord can be 100 or 133Mhz.
I'm now scratching my head and would welcome any advice or ideas!
Thanks
Neil

I would take the board out of the case, and place it on top of the bag it came in. Try posting with just the cpu/heatsink, one stick of memory, and video card. Also try reseating the memory. It should go in with a nice firm click.

Budgie39

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2002
Thanks for the replies guys. I'd already cleared the CMOS and also tried to run the board on the table top with just the video card and CPU installed but still nothing.
The memory is definitely in all the way.
Any other ideas?
Thanks
Neil

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
the board or CPU is bad. See if you can test with a different CPU, then RMA whichever one doesn't work (board or CPU).

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The only time I've seen the three keyboard lights lock on is when I had failed BIOS flash and yes the fans still turned on.

Are you getting any beeps?

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

Budgie39

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2002
I'm suspecting the CPU is faulty so am returning that first.
I get no beeps when powering on, just the PSU and the CPU fans start spinning.
Interesting about the failed BIOS flash. However, I haven't touched the BIOS at all.
I am presuming that this mobo and the AMD Duron are compatible?
One more question I have is the FSB of the CPU is 200mhz but the board is 100 or 133mhz. Could this be the reason I'm not getting anything at boot up?

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

Neil

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One more question I have is the FSB of the CPU is 200mhz but the board is 100 or 133mhz. Could this be the reason I'm not getting anything at boot up?
Check your manual if it has jumpers to set 100 or 133MHz. I had this problem with Asus A7N266-VM, when I tried Duron 1200MHz (it was set 133MHz FSB by default) until I set the correct FSB.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
you're confusing CPU bus speed with RAM bus speed. The board supports BOTH Athlon XP and Duron processors so your 1.2 should work fine (if the board is working correctly).

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>