Extending range with pair of Wi-Fi routers

To All;

I've been lurking here for some time for a possible soulution to our
problem, but no one seems to be in our exact situation. Here's the picture:

We're in a remote Canadian setting with a satellite internet service
that is accessed from a bunkouse by an SMC2804WBR 'G' wireless router.
Everything works great and everyone's marvelling at the convenience of
Wi-Fi..

Just out of range is an office building that we also want to access the
same internet service. To do that we picked up a Linksys WRK54G wireless
router. We've located the router about midway between the office and the
bunkhouse - that should easily eliminate the issue of range. To turn the
Linksys router into an access point, we figured that the Linksys has to have
DHCP disabled and the SSID assigned the same as that of the SMC.

Right?

But we're confused about the rest:
Do the two routers need to be physically connected by a LAN cable? If so,
that would be no problem, but we're not clear on which connections to make.
Or maybe this topology won't work at all (?)
Would we be better off standardizing on a single equipment manufacturer?

Hope you can help.

David
4 answers Last reply
More about extending range pair routers

    The only way you could connect them wirelessly would be
    to connect a wireless ethernet bridge. You should be able to connect with a
    cable if both
    have a wired switch. One of them would need to have an uplink port, if not
    though
    you can build a crossover cable to connect them.

    Dennis
    "J.David Williams" <jdwill@telus.net> wrote in message
    > To All;
    >
    > I've been lurking here for some time for a possible soulution to our
    > problem, but no one seems to be in our exact situation. Here's the
    picture:

    > We're in a remote Canadian setting with a satellite internet service
    > that is accessed from a bunkouse by an SMC2804WBR 'G' wireless router.
    > Everything works great and everyone's marvelling at the convenience of
    > Wi-Fi..
    >
    > Just out of range is an office building that we also want to access
    the
    > same internet service. To do that we picked up a Linksys WRK54G wireless
    > router. We've located the router about midway between the office and the
    > bunkhouse - that should easily eliminate the issue of range. To turn the
    > Linksys router into an access point, we figured that the Linksys has to
    have
    > DHCP disabled and the SSID assigned the same as that of the SMC.
    >
    > Right?
    >
    > But we're confused about the rest:
    > Do the two routers need to be physically connected by a LAN cable? If so,
    > that would be no problem, but we're not clear on which connections to
    make.
    > Or maybe this topology won't work at all (?)
    > Would we be better off standardizing on a single equipment manufacturer?
    >
    > Hope you can help.
    >
    > David

    J.David Williams <jdwill@telus.net> wrote:
    > But we're confused about the rest:
    > Do the two routers need to be physically connected by a LAN cable? If so,
    > that would be no problem, but we're not clear on which connections to make.

    If you can easily run cable to that second access point, that would
    probably be the best solution.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?K2E3155E8
    "How do I connect a Linksys Wireless router to a regular Ethernet Linksys"

    --
    ---

    "J.David Williams" <jdwill@telus.net> wrote in message
    > To All;
    >
    > I've been lurking here for some time for a possible soulution to our
    > problem, but no one seems to be in our exact situation. Here's the
    picture:

    > We're in a remote Canadian setting with a satellite internet service
    > that is accessed from a bunkouse by an SMC2804WBR 'G' wireless router.
    > Everything works great and everyone's marvelling at the convenience of
    > Wi-Fi..
    >
    > Just out of range is an office building that we also want to access
    the
    > same internet service. To do that we picked up a Linksys WRK54G wireless
    > router. We've located the router about midway between the office and the
    > bunkhouse - that should easily eliminate the issue of range. To turn the
    > Linksys router into an access point, we figured that the Linksys has to
    have
    > DHCP disabled and the SSID assigned the same as that of the SMC.
    >
    > Right?
    >
    > But we're confused about the rest:
    > Do the two routers need to be physically connected by a LAN cable? If so,
    > that would be no problem, but we're not clear on which connections to
    make.
    > Or maybe this topology won't work at all (?)
    > Would we be better off standardizing on a single equipment manufacturer?
    >
    > Hope you can help.
    >
    > David

    There are many solutions to this problem. One will work with the equipment
    that you have.

    Using the SMC and Linksys routers, you will have to connect the devices by
    Cat5 cable. There is no approved standard for a Distribution System yet
    (802.11F is coming), so with few exceptions APs must be the same brand to
    cooperate in the same Extended Service Set. If you set the SSIDs in the two
    APs to the same value, they will still represent two different ESSs (like
    having the same SSID as your neighbor). In your case that's not so bad,
    since you don't really care which AP your computers associate with. If you
    do care, make the SSIDs different.

    You probably want the Linksys (couldn't find mention of WRK54G on the web)
    to act as just an Access Point and not a router. To do this, connect the
    Cat5 cable to LAN ports on both routers. The Cat5 cable should be the
    crossover variety (since you're connecting like ports, MDIX-MDIX), but it
    doesn't really matter since the SMC2804WBR LAN ports have auto-MDI/MDIX.
    The Linksys's WAN port will go unused. Disable the LAN DHCP server on the
    Linksys; the SMC will provide addresses to all users.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    J.David Williams wrote:
    > Just out of range is an office building that we also want to access the
    > same internet service. To do that we picked up a Linksys WRK54G wireless
    > router. We've located the router about midway between the office and the
    > bunkhouse - that should easily eliminate the issue of range. To turn the
    > Linksys router into an access point, we figured that the Linksys has to have
    > DHCP disabled and the SSID assigned the same as that of the SMC.

    I don't have the distance problem you do, but I do have several wire lath
    and plaster walls in the 50 feet between my WRT54G and a WET54G bridge
    (feeding a 5 port switch) in my office. Adding a simple and cheap
    parabolic reflector (the X12 model - <www.freeantennas.com>) made from the
    sides of an aluminized cardboard coffee bean boosted the signal strength
    there from 50% to 81%.

    At www.linksysinfo.org there's info on firmware (Sveasoft?) enabling the
    relatively cheap WRT54G router to be used as an access point. I wish I'd
    seen that before I bought the bridge to feed the switch.

    --
    Steve
    Bush fooled ya once, shame on him.

Routers Internet Wireless Networking