Avsmcpa.dll error on control panel

I keep getting this annoying message when I launch CONTROL PANEL:

Was old how to cure it, but not worked!

Just did this, and found:

Avsmcpa.cpl.manifest C:\WINDOWS\System\
Avsmcpa.cpl.disabled C:\WINDOWS\System32\
Avsmcpa C:\WINDOWS\System32\

So, renamed the "Avsmcpa" (cpl file) at C:\WINDOWS\System to Avsmcpa.old and
restarted, same PROBLEM

Launched Control panel and still got same VIRUSSCAN: Avsmcpa.dll message as
below.

Do the "manifest and disabled" files need changing?

Thanks

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Avsmcpa.dll: The Specific Module Could Not Be Found"
> Error Message When You Open Control Panel
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318012
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect your PC!

---------------------

> "Crazy man" <alcoNOSPAM@bigfoot.com> wrote in message:
>
> |I have just had to upgrade from Windows ME > XP Home. Had a few problems
> | with virus and McAffee, all seems settled now, but getting this annoying
> | message when I launch CONTROL PANEL:
> |
> | Only visible fault is when I go to click on CONTROL PANEL!!!
> |
> | Get new window:
> |
> | VIRUSSCAN: Avsmcpa.dll
> |
> | The specified resource language ID can not be found on the image file.
> |
> | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0902\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not
be
> | found
> |
> | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0900\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not
be
> | found
> |
> | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res09\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
> | found
> |
> | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0901\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not
be
> | found
> |
> | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0000\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not
be
> | found
> |
> | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res00\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
> | found
> |
> | Anyone know how I can cure this?
> |
> | Thanks

Go to Start > Run and type REGEDIT , and hit enter.
From the Regisrty Editor toolbar select Edit > Find.
In the Find box type: avsmcpa and hit enter.
If a registy key is named "avsmcpa",
right-click on it and select delete.
Repeat the process until all reg keys
named "avsmcpa" are deleted.

--

|I keep getting this annoying message when I launch CONTROL PANEL:
|
| Was old how to cure it, but not worked!
|

| Just did this, and found:
|
| Avsmcpa.cpl.manifest C:\WINDOWS\System\
| Avsmcpa.cpl.disabled C:\WINDOWS\System32\
| Avsmcpa C:\WINDOWS\System32\
|
| So, renamed the "Avsmcpa" (cpl file) at C:\WINDOWS\System to Avsmcpa.old and
| restarted, same PROBLEM
|
| Launched Control panel and still got same VIRUSSCAN: Avsmcpa.dll message as
| below.
|
| Do the "manifest and disabled" files need changing?
|
| Thanks
|

| "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
| > "Avsmcpa.dll: The Specific Module Could Not Be Found"
| > Error Message When You Open Control Panel
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318012
| >
| > --
| > Carey Frisch
| > Microsoft MVP
| > Windows XP - Shell/User
| >
| > Be Smart! Protect your PC!
| > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
| >
| > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
| ---------------------
| >
| > "Crazy man" <alcoNOSPAM@bigfoot.com> wrote in message:
| >
| > |I have just had to upgrade from Windows ME > XP Home. Had a few problems
| > | with virus and McAffee, all seems settled now, but getting this annoying
| > | message when I launch CONTROL PANEL:
| > |
| > | Only visible fault is when I go to click on CONTROL PANEL!!!
| > |
| > | Get new window:
| > |
| > | VIRUSSCAN: Avsmcpa.dll
| > |
| > | The specified resource language ID can not be found on the image file.
| > |
| > | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0902\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not
| be
| > | found
| > |
| > | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0900\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not
| be
| > | found
| > |
| > | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res09\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
| > | found
| > |
| > | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0901\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not
| be
| > | found
| > |
| > | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0000\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not
| be
| > | found
| > |
| > | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res00\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
| > | found
| > |
| > | Anyone know how I can cure this?
| > |
| > | Thanks

Thanks, I did as below, deleted the three keys that I found, yet I am still
getting the same error. Any more suggestions?

Many thanks