WTB_a_clue

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
In the past, RAM modules had to be installed in a certain order or in certain mod sizes so that all slots were filled... at least that was my understanding. With the current motherboards, is this still a problem, or if I have a board with 3 slots am I able to now just plug in one 512mb mod into any slot I like and leave the others empty?

Thanks!

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Well, for the most part, it doesn't matter what size or position you place them, although, some motherboards do prefer the sticks to be in a specific slot. But yeah, you can leave the other slots empty if you want. The only exception to this is Rdram, where you HAVE to install memory in pairs, and any empty slots HAVE to be filled with c-rimms.

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*

WTB_a_clue

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
well that kind of clears things up, thanks! I'm assuming c-rimms are just empty place-holders that would come with the MB.

PS - Quetzacoatl was an Incan? ruler, correct? :)

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Yeah, C-rimms are like, space holders for rdram, and come free with motherboards that use rdram.

PS-yeah, pretty much, I changed it a little from Quetzalcoatl, mostly because i'm more into dragons, and it relates sorta.

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*