Poll: which MB mfgrs have best support??

mark_g

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
Question for those more experienced:
Of all the popular motherboard manufacturers, how would you rate their customer support (from best to worst)? Which ones traditionally have the most useful/helpful websites, are helpful, and are good about coming up with new bios'?

FWIW, I'm looking to either get an Epox 4g4a or a Gigabyte 8IEXP or Asus. I overclock. I'm really on the fence between these.

Thanks in advance.

mark_g

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I've found all companies to be equally shitty. Let me take that back, Asus support sucks ass. I will say that the best user support would probably go to Epox motherboards. If your overclocking go Epox,

<A HREF="http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php?s=" target="_new">For all your Epox questions and Overclocking concerns</A>

There are two official moderators from Epox that are fairly helpful.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Mr_Perfect

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2001
Yeah, Asus ain't fun. They do <i>not</i> respond to e-mail, and it takes about 2 weeks for them to test your returned board for defects. I still don't have a replacment for one I sent out almost two weeks ago. Their boards are nice though...

Mr. Perfect <i>a name fraught with peril</i>

Descent, because gravity is highly over-rated.

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
i had a gigabyte board i returned, took 2 weeks (from when i sent it to when i received one back) Their e-mails took about a day to answer. I didn't have any problems. Worst company....ECS...all the way...*e-mailed them about 6 months ago...STILL waiting for a reply*

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Shuttle is pretty bad, too. I've sent e-mails before that NEVER got answered. Hard to get any real info out of them if at all. Turnaround time has been about two days for the ones they decided to answer. Gigabyte seemed to be about the same, although I have less experience with them.

porsche

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
I thought id share my observations and experiences, however limited:
both Asus and Gigabyte say on their website that they do NOT provide tech support! they both recommend that you contact the RETAILER first (generally, useless advice). supposedly the mfrs may help on a "last resort" basis.
I have never had any dealings with asus, but i did try to contact gigabyte and gigabyte's retailers to ask about their new GA-8IGXP board. No answer from Gigabyte, only a few retailers answered with useless replies (for more on the 'GXP, just search back a month or so in this forum.)
Epox, on the other hand, allows end-users to contact tech support directly from their webpage. I've never used it, but it did give me hope.
Also, I design peripherals for a living. One of my customers had a compatibility problem with our product and an Epox motherboard. I found a phone number to call Epox - I spoke to a real live human being immediately - who spoke english - and who spoke computerese. My only very small concern about the 4G4A+ is that it seemed to be towards the bottom of the pack in tomshardware's benchmarks. but, to be fair, it's got a lotta stuff on it and is a little cheaper, i think.
Hope my opinion helps for what it's worth. I'd love to hear others' thoughts

Kill a man, you're a murderer. Kill ten thousand, you're a statesman.