Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Startup problem with Pavilion 6563Z

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 29, 2004 8:05:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with this Pavilion 6563Z. When powered up, HD light
glows for about 10-15 seconds, but PC never boots. Zip, zilch, nada. Not
able to enter BIOS via F1. No HP logo. Replaced CMOS battery. No joy. I
suspect a bad or fried CPU and/or HD. Any ideas, anyone? Thanks for
replies.

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.665 / Virus Database: 428 - Release Date: 4/22/04
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 29, 2004 6:07:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

You've described a system with an apparently good power supply and a hard drive
that does its own initial calibration when first powered up.

Is ANYTHING displayed on the screen of the monitor? If not, it's likely to be a
motherboard that died, or possiblya faild on-board video subsystem. Could also
be that excessive heat did in the CPU or motherboard. Open up the chassis and
see if the cooling fan(s) turn freely, inspecting them for a lot of dust and
dirt.

You may be due for a replacement motherboard.

This about the time, 5 years or so in age, when computer systems seem to break
down either due to intentional use of lower quality electronic components, poor
manufacturing methods, or improper care. I've handled quite a few 5-6 year old
systems (HP and other) lately, doing necessary repairs or replacement systems.
Some of the systems I've touched are so full of dust and dirt that it amazes me
to see them running... Ben Myers

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 04:05:01 -0400, "Louie T Lizard" <louie@nonya.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm having a problem with this Pavilion 6563Z. When powered up, HD light
>glows for about 10-15 seconds, but PC never boots. Zip, zilch, nada. Not
>able to enter BIOS via F1. No HP logo. Replaced CMOS battery. No joy. I
>suspect a bad or fried CPU and/or HD. Any ideas, anyone? Thanks for
>replies.
>
>Louie
>Gainesville, FL, USA
>
>
>---
>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>Version: 6.0.665 / Virus Database: 428 - Release Date: 4/22/04
>
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 29, 2004 6:07:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:40910a53.7828901@news.charter.net...
> You've described a system with an apparently good power supply and a hard
drive
> that does its own initial calibration when first powered up.
>
> Is ANYTHING displayed on the screen of the monitor? If not, it's likely
to be a
> motherboard that died, or possiblya faild on-board video subsystem. Could
also
> be that excessive heat did in the CPU or motherboard. Open up the chassis
and
> see if the cooling fan(s) turn freely, inspecting them for a lot of dust
and
> dirt.
>
> You may be due for a replacement motherboard.
>
> This about the time, 5 years or so in age, when computer systems seem to
break
> down either due to intentional use of lower quality electronic components,
poor
> manufacturing methods, or improper care. I've handled quite a few 5-6
year old
> systems (HP and other) lately, doing necessary repairs or replacement
systems.
> Some of the systems I've touched are so full of dust and dirt that it
amazes me
> to see them running... Ben Myers
<snip>

Hello again, Ben.

*Nothing* at all is displayed on monitor. Guy said it started running slow
and then, all of a sudden, wouldn't boot at all.

On opening and inspecting, interior is *very* clean, fans turn freely (both
with & w/o power). Matter of fact, it appears as though someone has
recently cleaned it.

*Can* I install a video card (PCI) if it won't even boot (can't get at
BIOS)? I have several known good cards to try, along with HD's and CPU's.
Soon's I find out what mobo it is, I can try known good CPU's.

Heading to shop now......

Thanks again,

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.665 / Virus Database: 428 - Release Date: 4/22/04
Related resources
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 29, 2004 6:07:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Got it started! 8-) CPU heatsink was *extremely* dirty as was PS. Used
compressed air, cleaned and reseated *all* connectors & the damn thing
booted! Don't know which one did the trick (cleaning or reseating). I'm
betting on CPU heatsink as it was caked and clogged with dirt. Thanks Ben
for your help. Will be stress testing PC over the next 24hrs.

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.665 / Virus Database: 428 - Release Date: 4/21/04
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 29, 2004 9:21:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

You can try a PCI video card. If it works, you're home free. If not, then the
motherboard is probably toast. Do you have a hardware POST card to read out
motherboard voltages and POST (Power On Self Test) codes emitted by the BIOS???
If not, get one ASAP if you work on a lot of computers... Ben Myers

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:38:36 -0400, "Louie T Lizard" <louie@nonya.com> wrote:

><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>news:40910a53.7828901@news.charter.net...
>> You've described a system with an apparently good power supply and a hard
>drive
>> that does its own initial calibration when first powered up.
>>
>> Is ANYTHING displayed on the screen of the monitor? If not, it's likely
>to be a
>> motherboard that died, or possiblya faild on-board video subsystem. Could
>also
>> be that excessive heat did in the CPU or motherboard. Open up the chassis
>and
>> see if the cooling fan(s) turn freely, inspecting them for a lot of dust
>and
>> dirt.
>>
>> You may be due for a replacement motherboard.
>>
>> This about the time, 5 years or so in age, when computer systems seem to
>break
>> down either due to intentional use of lower quality electronic components,
>poor
>> manufacturing methods, or improper care. I've handled quite a few 5-6
>year old
>> systems (HP and other) lately, doing necessary repairs or replacement
>systems.
>> Some of the systems I've touched are so full of dust and dirt that it
>amazes me
>> to see them running... Ben Myers
><snip>
>
>Hello again, Ben.
>
>*Nothing* at all is displayed on monitor. Guy said it started running slow
>and then, all of a sudden, wouldn't boot at all.
>
>On opening and inspecting, interior is *very* clean, fans turn freely (both
>with & w/o power). Matter of fact, it appears as though someone has
>recently cleaned it.
>
>*Can* I install a video card (PCI) if it won't even boot (can't get at
>BIOS)? I have several known good cards to try, along with HD's and CPU's.
>Soon's I find out what mobo it is, I can try known good CPU's.
>
>Heading to shop now......
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Louie
>Gainesville, FL, USA
>
>
>
>---
>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>Version: 6.0.665 / Virus Database: 428 - Release Date: 4/22/04
>
>
!