xp pro Can not read ANY disc's

geoff

I installed xp pro (from win 98se) but when putting in a disc (files or audio) to the CDRW or DVDRW the PC can not read any information. when trying to open the disc the PC asks 'Please insert disc into drive D (or E)' but the disc is in. (prior to putting xp on I replaced the CDrom with DVDRW)
I have tried the Microsoft support with problems to CD rom/cdrw etc (thanks Thorston) but these did not help.

I also took off nortons AV 2002 thinking this might be conflicting, but this made no difference. (I will be putting NAV 2004 on now but obviously can't yet because it won't read the disk!)

I did a system restore (some dates worked - others didn't?) but this did not help.

I now thinking of uninstalling xp and going back to win98se to see if this helps and if it does then put xp Home on rather than pro.

But before I do this I'm wondering if there are any other thoughts/suggestions by you guru's out there.

I'm getting pressure from my better half (my wife) so I need to look good-if you know what I mean.

Thanks
Geoff
(Land from Down Under)

geoff wrote:
> I installed xp pro (from win 98se) but when putting in a disc (files
> or audio) to the CDRW or DVDRW the PC can not read any information.
> when trying to open the disc the PC asks 'Please insert disc into
> drive D (or E)' but the disc is in. (prior to putting xp on I
> replaced the CDrom with DVDRW) I have tried the Microsoft support
> with problems to CD rom/cdrw etc (thanks Thorston) but these did not
> help.
>
> I also took off nortons AV 2002 thinking this might be conflicting,
> but this made no difference. (I will be putting NAV 2004 on now but
> obviously can't yet because it won't read the disk!)
>
> I did a system restore (some dates worked - others didn't?) but this
> did not help.
>
> I now thinking of uninstalling xp and going back to win98se to see if
> this helps and if it does then put xp Home on rather than pro.
>
> But before I do this I'm wondering if there are any other
> thoughts/suggestions by you guru's out there.
>
> I'm getting pressure from my better half (my wife) so I need to look
> good-if you know what I mean.

Did you reinstall the application you burned them with?
(Nero? Roxio? Other?)

And/or update it so that it is compatable with XP?

--
<- Shenan ->

geoff

Hi Shenan,
I have Nero but I reckon it converted over when going from win98se to xp pro. (but I'm not 100% sure).
But original disks can not be read either so Nero shouldn't be the problem.
I did look at the compatible list and did not find my LG (dvd) or Aparti (spelling? cdrw). but it was only a quick look.

When I originally put xp pro on I'm pretty sure disc's could be read for a small period of time (sorry, forgot to mention in first comment) as I put the NAV 2002 disc in and put some files from another disc on and both worked.

So it seems I had them working originally but not now (hence trying a system restore).

I presume the model number etc will be on the devices somewhere as the document that came with them do does not have enough info.

And, what if they're not compatible?
Geoff