Vista, C2D, and Best game

jason7655

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
I know that this post might get more personal pref than fact, but that's ok.

I'm planning on buying one game in the next week or so that is killer on my new dul-core Vista box.

I know most games aren't built for dual core, but I believe I read that Supreme Commander was. Right now I'm guessing that Stalker and SC are the two to decide between.

Any opinions.

ben_the_man

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
Completely different genres... I personally did not like STALKER at all. Found it tedious and quite boring. Much better shotteres out there IMO. Supreme commander was OK, company of heros and any blizzard game is better made. I enjoyed C & C 3 more as well, although I found the mechanics of Supreme Commander terrible (although the zoom out is a great idea!)

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I don't remember supcom being multithreaded.. unless they patched it to be :?: I remember people complaining about core usage and comparing it to Q4

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I don't remember supcom being multithreaded.. unless they patched it to be :?: I remember people complaining about core usage and comparing it to Q4

Supreme Commander is multi threaded. I can see it uses both cores pretty well. Also they are going to release a patch to make it run in DX10 mode under Vista if you have a DX10 video card. I also own STALKER, but i have to agree with ben STALKER can get a little boring sometimes, and there are much better games out there, but that's just personal preference.

I think you will have more fun with Supreme Commander, if you have to choose between those two. Anyways Supreme Commander have a demo out so you should be able to try it out and see if you like it or not.

I think you will have more fun with Supreme Commander, if you have to choose between those two. Anyways Supreme Commander have a demo out so you should be able to try it out and see if you like it or not.

Just a quick note. I played the SupCom demo for a while and found it sorta boring because you can only be one faction and you are limited with what you can build. My arm was twisted to buy it because everyone at the LANs I attend has it and they were planning on playing it and I didnt want to be left out. I found the actual game to be most satisfying because of teh big fat huge experimental units you can build.

Although 10 people playing this game makes you want to cry at how much lag you get. We host the game on a dual opteron box with 8GB of ram in x64 XP and it said it had to offload processes to another machine for performance reasons. They also since upgraded the network to all gigabit. I personally think they had a bad link in there with someone running a crappy machine. ANYWAYS, the game is really system intensive but i think its a GREAT game. It takes some getting used to but if you ever played Total Annihalation you have one up on most people as the controls and resources work the same.

EWWW Vista I'll pass for now.