Problem w/Abit SA6R and Pentium III

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Abit SA6R + Pentium 3 750mhz = will not boot or even post. I have checked out the video card, the power supply and the memory. When I power up, the fans kick on, but nothing on the screen and the hard drives stay silent. If I disconnect the hdd from the board and leave it connected to the power supply, I can hear it whir up when I first press the power button, but still no video/no post. How do you decide whether it's the mb or the processor that's bad? This system was working fine in May and has sat around since then until I tried to turn it on today. Help.?

sjgore

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
I had exactly the same problem with my ABIT SA6R and 1Ghz PIII a few months ago. When I powered on, the case fans started, but the CPU fan, chipset blorb fan (which I added myself), the hard disks and the Geforce 3 fan stayed silent and the system wouldn't boot or post. The first time it happened, I was convinced it was my Geforce 3 that was the problem, because when I pulled the card out and plugged it back in again, the system went back to normal. However, it happened many more times afterwards, at completely random intervals. I was then plagued with problems with the computer randomly reseting, usually when I was playing 3D games or doing some CPU intensive tasks. I replaced the Geforce 3 with a cheap trident card, and I still had the problems. To cut a long story short, I replaced the motherboard and all was well again, and has been okay ever since. I can only assume that the SA6R had become damaged or worn out.

Hope this helps a bit!

Steve.