Im_gumby

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I'll give you all the setup before the problem:

Asus A7V333 mobo, BIOS 1011.
Athlon 2000+ Palomino
512Meg Ram
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical

As most newer mobos run power to both PS/2 ports even when its "off", and the Intellimouse has a nice bright red light on the back of it when it has power and a connection to the PC, in order to make the mouse dark while the computer is off, I have it connected to the pc via USB. Here comes the fun part... it took some time, but I've got the mouse working fine for about 95% of the time. The mouse occasionally decides to disconnect itself from the computer (recognition, not physically) while I am using it, usually during gaming. This is very annoying as the only thing that will correct the problem is to restart the computer. Any help?

Lobbest thou thy Holy Hand-Grenade of Antioch...

pat

Expert
I really like the fact that I can power on my computer just by pressing the left mouse button. That why I dont mind the red light. And I think that MS mouse are famous for doing this. Get rid of it and buy a Logitech or any brand. they are really unexpensive now.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Yeti

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
Wow. Annoying side effect of a new feature. I'm not familiar with when the mouse does and doesn't have power in new boxes though. I have that mobo also, and the power on feature can be set to a variety of different things. If, for example, you disable the ability to turn the system on with the mouse and change it to the keyboard (spacebar, or ctrl + esc if you have cats or kids), does the PS2 mouse port still get power?

If you really like your mouse and have money to throw away, you could get a KVM (keyboard / video / mouse switch) and switch away from your computer to either another connection or thin air to make the mouse turn off. It's a waste of about 50 bucks if you don't actually have a use for a KVM, but it beats unplugging the mouse all the time or having it fail on you during gaming.

Im_gumby

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I've got the all "mouse on" features disabled, but it is still on. The KVM switch would work, but I'm not that annoyed by the light. I've switched it back to the PS/2 port, as the reliablilty is more important than the annoyance. Anybody else have some solutions?

Im_gumby

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
O.K., it's been a month now that I've switched the mouse back to the PS/2 port, and the light is now on 24/7, but the connection problem remains as well as now, when I'm getting a freeze that affects the keyboard too! In order to get them to work again, I have to get behind the machine, disconnect them, reconnect them, and turn the machine back on. Is this a Mobo/Bios problem or typical of a general software related freeze?

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
sounds like a driver issue to me. back in the day when i had a compaq (cringe) i had problems such as these often.

*** :cool: Duff Man says a lot of things, OH YEAH!!! :cool: ***

Im_gumby

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I have the latest driver for the mouse, but what about the K/B freezing as well? It's just a generic, nothing fancy.