Problem with Mobo ("Cmos settings wrong")

Panathachamp

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002
After installing a Geforce 2pro to my pc(athlon xp 1600+,gigabyte 7VTXE),I am always getting this message at every boot or reset(not restart).Previously I had a TNT2M64 and there was no problem.After this message,I just press F2 and it continues booting with the clock reset and no other problems...What can be happening and what should I do?
Thanx for your time.

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
It means your BIOS needs to be updated with your new video card.

When I first instaled my new P4 1.8A to a new mobo it would give me the error "CPU is unworkable or has changed - cpu soft menu" I could boot up still if I pressed F1 (same as your F2) All that means is the configuration settings in the cmos are incorrect and you need to change it. I updated my bios by changing the cpu settings and it boots fine.

So to make a long story short. Enter your bios and update it. IF that still deosn't work you could try flashing your bios (Correct me if I'm wrong). But I think that would work too but I'd recommend trying to update your bios first.

Cooj

<i> I am ignorant no more! </i> :tongue:

pat

Expert
You can just go into the BIOS and then exit with saving change. Even if you dont change anything.

Or, if it doesnt work, then into the BIOS, load fail-safe may just ajust the BIOS to the video card. then, update the remaining manually if you have to, like memory timing or CPU FSB. It is a good thing to write on paper the settings in the various BIOS menu before playing with it.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!